Off season F/A

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd rather sign Ryan Sweeney than Nate McLouth at this point. McLouth after a hot start last year really faded and his numbers were worse than DeJesus's by the end of the year. I don't trust Bryd with the PED connection and a sudden power surge after nearly being out of baseball. Beltran would be a nice short term deal but he can't handle CF at this point in his career.

I think they grab one OF and put everything else into Tanaka. If Tanaka falls through then they probably sign a flip candidate like Haren or Phil Hughes. The upgrade to the lineup is going to have to come from within.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Marlon Byrd changed his mechanics.

Good for him, but guys hitting career high in home runs at age 34 after being virtually out of baseball and positive PED results are always going to be suspicious in this era.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Good for him, but guys hitting career high in home runs at age 34 after being virtually out of baseball and positive PED results are always going to be suspicious in this era.

I don't disagree.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Morse, Infante, Nolasco/Lincecum.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The off-season for the Cubs is (besides manager): Tanaka, Tanaka, Tanaka, Tanaka, Tanaka, Tanaka and yeah you get the point, on and on.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Question is how much will he go for?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/10/arbitration-eligibles-chicago-cubs.html

By Tim Dierkes [October 1 at 3:00pm CST]
Matt Swartz has developed a very accurate model that MLBTR uses to project arbitration salaries, as explained in this series of posts. We've heard from many MLB teams and agencies that reference the projections in their work. The Cubs are next in our series. Estimated service time is in parentheses, and estimated 2014 salary follows.

Jeff Samardzija (4.028): $4.9MM
Nate Schierholtz (5.078): $3.8MM
Travis Wood (3.004): $3.6MM
Darwin Barney (3.053): $2.1MM
Daniel Bard (3.079): $1.8625MM
James Russell (4.000): $1.7MM
Luis Valbuena (3.148): $1.5MM
Pedro Strop (2.156, Super Two): $1MM
Donnie Murphy (4.043): $1MM
Darnell McDonald (3.130): $700K
Samardzija is the Cubs' most important arbitration case, in that they are running out of time to extend him as he moves closer to free agency. Though he didn't improve much this year beyond pitching more innings, extensions for pitchers with four years of Major League service are rare. Samardzija should be able to get past Matt Harrison's five-year, $55MM deal, and closer to $80MM territory. If the Cubs can't agree with his agent on his value, he could bring an impressive haul in trade this winter.

Schierholtz, Russell, Wood, Valbuena, and Strop have roles on next year's team, perhaps barring trades of the first two. Though Wood had something of a breakout season, I don't think there's urgency to give him a $30MM guarantee on a multiyear deal, given lackluster peripheral stats.

We've projected Bard for the same salary he had last year, since reductions are so rare. The Cubs' September waiver claim of Bard suggests they'll tender him a contract, or at least non-tender and quickly re-sign him for less than the allowable 20% pay cut. Murphy has generally been deemed expendable by teams, but it would be fair to keep him on the roster after he hit 11 home runs in 163 plate appearances for the Cubs.

Barney won a Gold Glove in 2012 and continued to play strong defense this year. However, his lack of offensive production dwarfed his defense, resulting in a replacement level season. A non-tender seems extreme, partially because $2.1MM is acceptable money for a backup. The Cubs may instead consider trading Barney this winter. McDonald, a journeyman outfielder, will likely lose his 40-man roster spot soon.

If the Cubs tender contracts to Samardzija, Schierholtz, Wood, Barney, Bard, Russell, Valbuena, Strop, and Murphy, they'll be looking at an estimated $21.5MM for nine arbitration eligible players.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
What? Morse is probably a minimum $8 and could go as high as $12 and Beltran this past year got $13. Carlos would probably take a 1-2 year deal but at least $13 million per.

I see Morse as having some red flags against him with his limited games the past 2 years and I'd be surprised if Carlos were to fetch anything above 2 years. I could be wrong, but he isn't a kid anymore.

Anyways, regardless as to how close or far I am with the contracts even if they did sign them, it isn't going to be as if they are plunging a 150 million dollar contract at either one. It would be a short term fix to at least put some kind of punch in the line-up, and not be tied down in a contract such as Choo.

It's all pissing in the wind anyways. No one knows who they are targeting except Theo and the Brass.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
The off-season for the Cubs is (besides manager): Tanaka, Tanaka, Tanaka, Tanaka, Tanaka, Tanaka and yeah you get the point, on and on.

The Cubs could definitely make a statement to the fan base and team if they were to be successful in attaining his services. That in itself is what the Cubs could do to net a top tier pitcher without having to mortgage the farm as they would have to do for David Price.

It would be a win/win.

Then trade or package Shark to fill other voids on the current team or in the system.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I believe they will use a few fronts to address the line up lackings. I'd say they will look into CF. they have no established CF. Sweeney was fine on Dale's squad. I don't see them going too deep into replacement players as they did at the end of last year.

My feelings about using a established F/A vs using a replacement player:

It depends on who is envisioned to play that position and what is his ETA.

So 3B they have a platoon in Arb. Olt in AAA. Bryant in AA. Stupid use of resource to invest here.
2B: GG D right now. Studd SS in AAA. Stupid to invest here.
LF: replacement value platoon ATM. Junior has some intangible skills but a gamble. Bulk of the time is replacement player value.
CF: As above replacement value. But in A+ has a studd. Short term filler may fill the time gap.
RF: need a platoon partner at replacement player cost. Studd in AA. Starter under control for a year. See little transition issues.

So thinking it out the decision process is clearer. They can not afford to toss cash at the problem. Trades: team needs to be better after.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe they will use a few fronts to address the line up lackings. I'd say they will look into CF. they have no established CF. Sweeney was fine on Dale's squad. I don't see them going too deep into replacement players as they did at the end of last year.

My feelings about using a established F/A vs using a replacement player:

It depends on who is envisioned to play that position and what is his ETA.

So 3B they have a platoon in Arb. Olt in AAA. Bryant in AA. Stupid use of resource to invest here.
2B: GG D right now. Studd SS in AAA. Stupid to invest here.
LF: replacement value platoon ATM. Junior has some intangible skills but a gamble. Bulk of the time is replacement player value.
CF: As above replacement value. But in A+ has a studd. Short term filler may fill the time gap.
RF: need a platoon partner at replacement player cost. Studd in AA. Starter under control for a year. See little transition issues.

So thinking it out the decision process is clearer. They can not afford to toss cash at the problem. Trades: team needs to be better after.

Love that team putting all there hopes and dreams on prospects. The chance they all pan out is about 1%

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's no player in free agency that any team is like "man we have to go after him and beat every team out." I wouldn't care if the Cubs sign anyone... but I really do want Tanaka and think he would fir this team great and he's the only player I would overpay for. So most of the players will get overpaid and so I'm not too interested in free agency unless low bargain deals.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I do, but when the Cubs start to compete and have players, he's a utility player.

I think Lake can potentially have a Zobrist like impact in that he may be good enough to play everyday some where but it may be all over the field.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Love that team putting all there hopes and dreams on prospects. The chance they all pan out is about 1%

I never said they were 100%. But they are putting these kids in the future plans. I expects some short term stop gaps. Take B. Jackson. Didn't work out. They did not dump into a marque name to fill an OF spot. They signed a cost effective platoon. 3B same thing. Expect more of the same over the next 3 years. That is when they are expecting rev from the scoreboard and the WGN contract expires.

In their situation they are currently transitioning from using F/A to aquire talent to getting that talent on the field. VSo this year Baez is most likely that guy. Olt has a shot if he fixes himself but he has to rebound into top form again. Now after the dust settles in a few years I expect they will add F/A into the standing core of self development vs the other way around. But when the team is more profitable and a new TV deal in place.

If you are not willing to be patient I suggest another hobby.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I do, but when the Cubs start to compete and have players, he's a utility player.

We'll see. With the players on the Cubs current roster, I think he has earned a starting spot in the outfield for next season. Maybe he'll turn out to be pretty good and then you have one of the outfield spots set for the future.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
We'll see. With the players on the Cubs current roster, I think he has earned a starting spot in the outfield for next season. Maybe he'll turn out to be pretty good and then you have one of the outfield spots set for the future.

Well, CF should be his only option until Almora arrives. He is not powerful enough to play corner outfield spots if the Cubs are going to move forward and be any kind of a power house.

I'd rather save those for Bryant, Soler, Baez or whomever they need to stick out there.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Well, CF should be his only option until Almora arrives. He is not powerful enough to play corner outfield spots if the Cubs are going to move forward and be any kind of a power house.

I'd rather save those for Bryant, Soler, Baez or whomever they need to stick out there.

I thought they should have played Lake in CF as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.