1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
i got a used jock strap if you need one

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
as long as it still has tbos duck butter on it, it is worth over 100.00 bucks easy!

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
I got a spare large white CCM hockey helmet with a cage... still in the box.

In fact I got a white one and a black one in my actual size (medium)... yes, it did have something to do with colour-coordination... I also got old 3rd uniform Hawks socks, plus a road and away set of socks...

plus I hate garters ... like the velcro-cup pants things a lot better ... although the lazy way out can work too (sweat pants and velcro strips for shin guards - or tape - but usually too cheap to use tape -as I sorta need it for stick blades...

Or maybe I don't 0 I don't know where any of that stuff is if it isn't in my gear bag.

Had a skate blown up by a shot in a game once too ... luckily it actually missed me. I had some "wise" advice to tape the toe cap back on and get back out there -- I decided not to - as I did not think that it would actually work - and for some odd reason I did not want busted toes. For all I know it would have been playing with illegal gear too.

Edit 1: I have a pair of inline skates I bought at a Sam's club - I guess sometime during the 2000's -although it might have been in the 1990's for all I know. I do know that I have never had a chance to use the things, and when I got here, I only remember finding one... or rather I have never had both skates together at the same time...

Last edited:

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
I got a spare large white CCM hockey helmet with a cage... still in the box.

In fact I got a white one and a black one in my actual size (medium)... yes, it did have something to do with colour-coordination... I also got old 3rd uniform Hawks socks, plus a road and away set of socks...

plus I hate garters ... like the velcro-cup pants things a lot better ... although the lazy way out can work too (sweat pants and velcro strips for shin guards - or tape - but usually too cheap to use tape -as I sorta need it for stick blades...

Or maybe I don't 0 I don't know where any of that stuff is if it isn't in my gear bag.

Had a skate blown up by a shot in a game once too ... luckily it actually missed me. I had some "wise" advice to tape the toe cap back on and get back out there -- I decided not to - as I did not think that it would actually work - and for some odd reason I did not want busted toes. For all I know it would have been playing with illegal gear too.

Edit 1: I have a pair of inline skates I bought at a Sam's club - I guess sometime during the 2000's -although it might have been in the 1990's for all I know. I do know that I have never had a chance to use the things, and when I got here, I only remember finding one... or rather I have never had both skates together at the same time...
Hell yea...those things are the shit...much much easier to wear

yea, i took a slap shot off my elbow pad once and it shattered

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
Hell yea...those things are the shit...much much easier to wear

yea, i took a slap shot off my elbow pad once and it shattered

I got told to go with (I think) Bauers, the things are like little clubs (although I was never one to elbow guys).

I took a shot off the inside thigh once... upper thigh... pretty close to...

I didn't actually try to block it, but that was my V8 moment where I understood that even accidentally blocking shots in recreational hockey was rather a stupid thing to do. Oh I copped grief over not going back on the ice with my skate like that (as posted previously), and I'm sure the same crowd of know-nothings would have given me grief about not blocking shots in a rec league -especially on a team that couldn't score goals (so actually playing defense when you were down by like 5 goals going into the 3rd period was a little silly anyways.).

Anyways I had a huge bruise there ... it didn't really impact mobility- but looked pretty "impressive" when wearing shorts. (It happened in the Summer). Come to think of it - playing hockey when it was about 80-90 degrees out at night - now that is a bit of a trip.

Oh -and about copping grief here... the team I played on here, things got chippy for some guys (no idea why - maybe they saw Slapshot), one time against a team with some giants for forwards. One of my teammates had played a few games as a goalie with the Fife Flyers in Scotland(although he was a forward on the team here) (nothing like a Glaswegian on your team - Glasgow accents- think Billy Connolly or Mike Myers' Fat Bastard)... well Scots don't take much crap (or he didn't) - and he got into a pushing and shoving match with a couple of these guys while I was on the ice -I didn't want to get into it, but I also wasn't going to let the 2nd banana on this other team who was mouthing off at the guy, jump him from behind. None of these other team guys had done anything to me - so there was no reason for me to exacerbate the situation... so it was a bit of getting in a position and watching.

I'm sure that some ignoramae saw things as differently from me... but, it was more about not having a 2 on 1 situation develop for me.

Man, that stuff is stupid in a rec league - in theory everyone out there has some sort of day job to go to - there are no pro leagues in Australia - so it is like -all about avoiding the idiots that don't get that -and having fun.

Edit to add:

Man I forgot this -- I was also going to add about how lame my last team was - we had one game where the opposing team's goalie showed up late and was not dressed for nearly the entire first period -so the other team was playing with 6 skaters ( basically a pulled goalie situation -by necessity).

The rocket scientists on my team kept trying to get in deep, and wouldn't even try a shot unless they were in the slot ... with the natural result that they scored all of 2 goals against an empty net in about 18 minutes.

Try as I might, there was no way I could get the guys on my team to try shooting from anywhere... as of course... they all knew better :p ...

I didn't have a lot of fun that season... although I do look forward to better days; also their uniform was all right (even if it was green, gold, black and white -with a bit of red). Dunno if I got a photo of it anywhere - had the tie up retro neck area thing going on.

However, if you follow - Billy Crystal used to have a character on SNL in the 80's - his line was something like: "It is better to look good, than to feel good .... and dahlink, you look marvelous..."

paraphrasing that to "It is better to look good, than to play well..." - that didn't work for me ... and I wish you younger guys still in hockey -never to have to go through the coachless experience of a cluster of fools all chasing after your puck in your own end, having a goalie that could hug a post to save his life -and actually jumped to bat pucks that were going about 6 ft over the net -away from him...

I suppose in a sense though - it was bizarrely surreal. :D

Last edited:

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
I got told to go with (I think) Bauers, the things are like little clubs (although I was never one to elbow guys).

I took a shot off the inside thigh once... upper thigh... pretty close to...
I didn't actually try to block it, but that was my V8 moment where I understood that even accidentally blocking shots in recreational hockey was rather a stupid thing to do. Oh I copped grief over not going back on the ice with my skate like that (as posted previously), and I'm sure the same crowd of know-nothings would have given me grief about not blocking shots in a rec league -especially on a team that couldn't score goals (so actually playing defense when you were down by like 5 goals going into the 3rd period was a little silly anyways.).

Anyways I had a huge bruise there ... it didn't really impact mobility- but looked pretty "impressive" when wearing shorts. (It happened in the Summer). Come to think of it - playing hockey when it was about 80-90 degrees out at night - now that is a bit of a trip.

Oh -and about copping grief here... the team I played on here, things got chippy for some guys (no idea why - maybe they saw Slapshot), one time against a team with some giants for forwards. One of my teammates had played a few games as a goalie with the Fife Flyers in Scotland(although he was a forward on the team here) (nothing like a Glaswegian on your team - Glasgow accents- think Billy Connolly or Mike Myers' Fat Bastard)... well Scots don't take much crap (or he didn't) - and he got into a pushing and shoving match with a couple of these guys while I was on the ice -I didn't want to get into it, but I also wasn't going to let the 2nd banana on this other team who was mouthing off at the guy, jump him from behind. None of these other team guys had done anything to me - so there was no reason for me to exacerbate the situation... so it was a bit of getting in a position and watching.

I'm sure that some ignoramae saw things as differently from me... but, it was more about not having a 2 on 1 situation develop for me.

Man, that stuff is stupid in a rec league - in theory everyone out there has some sort of day job to go to - there are no pro leagues in Australia - so it is like -all about avoiding the idiots that don't get that -and having fun.

Edit to add:

Man I forgot this -- I was also going to add about how lame my last team was - we had one game where the opposing team's goalie showed up late and was not dressed for nearly the entire first period -so the other team was playing with 6 skaters ( basically a pulled goalie situation -by necessity).

The rocket scientists on my team kept trying to get in deep, and wouldn't even try a shot unless they were in the slot ... with the natural result that they scored all of 2 goals against an empty net in about 18 minutes.

Try as I might, there was no way I could get the guys on my team to try shooting from anywhere... as of course... they all knew better :p ...

I didn't have a lot of fun that season... although I do look forward to better days; also their uniform was all right (even if it was green, gold, black and white -with a bit of red). Dunno if I got a photo of it anywhere - had the tie up retro neck area thing going on.

However, if you follow - Billy Crystal used to have a character on SNL in the 80's - his line was something like: "It is better to look good, than to feel good .... and dahlink, you look marvelous..."

paraphrasing that to "It is better to look good, than to play well..." - that didn't work for me ... and I wish you younger guys still in hockey -never to have to go through the coachless experience of a cluster of fools all chasing after your puck in your own end, having a goalie that could hug a post to save his life -and actually jumped to bat pucks that were going about 6 ft over the net -away from him...

I suppose in a sense though - it was bizarrely surreal. :D

yikes...

I remember the first time I blocked a slap shot that "area"....my cup became my favorite piece of equipment...my children owe their lives to it

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish