Offensive line shuffled for tonight's game

msadows

Liked Posts:
To be fair, having mustipher at center made the entire line worse. Both guards never knew when they had to help out to the inside because mustipher was so bad.

I still don't expect much improvement, but hopefully having patrick at center helps out both guard spots.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
My guess is to get Patrick into game shape., have no idea though.
This is probably right. However, last Thursday he looked like he never played offensive line in his life.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Weird how it had to be Jenkins every time, couldnt rotate him in for Whitehair? Or even Mustipher himself in the 1-2 game window where Patrick was snapping in practice but before Cody got injured. So strange!
you dont want to constantly switch out the guy snapping it to the QB. i figure some kind of continuity was wanted there for Justin

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The amount of people on Bears twitter doing cartwheels over this change is hilarious to me. Sure, you got rid of Mustipher, who's probably the worst OL they had starting. But you still have Patrick moving to C, who's been bad at guard (and IIRC graded out better at guard in Green Bay). And you have Jones still at LT, who has struggled for like 3 weeks now and been bad overall. And you're throwing in Schofield, who lost the starting RG job to a guy that never played the position because he looked so bad in preseason. So, you're still going from 3 bad OL to 3 bad OL. Marginal upgrade at best.
I tend to agree but in fairness Schofield wasn’t with the team very long and was brutalized in the preseason by Chris Jones who’s pretty damn good.

Patrick has to be better than Mustipher.

However, I’m afraid that Judon is going to pound our tackles tonight. I hope I’m wrong.

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
Patrick has not impressed me one bit honestly playing at LG. I really hope he does well at Center and hope that blocking/coverage-wise it will be his right fit. If not, Bears are risking Fields health behind an awful starting lineup at LG and Center.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I tend to agree but in fairness Schofield wasn’t with the team very long and was brutalized in the preseason by Chris Jones who’s pretty damn good.

Patrick has to be better than Mustipher.

However, I’m afraid that Judon is going to pound our tackles tonight. I hope I’m wrong.

To me, Schoffield looked out of shape in preseason/camp.

Hopefully being signed then cut by his homtown team made him hit the gym as a reality check. He's started 80+ games in the nfl so its not like he's a bum.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
I believe it was Nagy's 3rd year here when there was a late season change to the middle of the line up where Mustipher went to center, Alex Bars came in at RG, and I believe Cody moved out to LG. I believe that lineup gelled quickly, if I recall, and was pretty solid down the stretch (I believe it was 5-6 games). Of course, the next season, the line got reshuffled again and bombed out.

However, my point is that perhaps this reshuffling could light the proverbial fire. I mean hell, if Patrick doesn't get railroaded like Mustipher does, that alone is an improvement. If we can increase Field's projection by even 1/2 second, that makes a big difference.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is probably right. However, last Thursday he looked like he never played offensive line in his life.
you hope it is because he was playing out of position.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
missed out on the past few weeks of inside info, my question is, why was Jenkins being subbed in and out of the previous games for Lucas?
Pretty sure it was because he missed a whole preseason and they wanted him to get in shape. You weren't going to sit Whitehair over Jenkins, so I think that's why they would swap.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Doesn't mean much but Schofield looked OK in spot duty last week. Probably in reasonable shape by now. I wonder how Whitehair is doing.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The amount of people on Bears twitter doing cartwheels over this change is hilarious to me. Sure, you got rid of Mustipher, who's probably the worst OL they had starting. But you still have Patrick moving to C, who's been bad at guard (and IIRC graded out better at guard in Green Bay). And you have Jones still at LT, who has struggled for like 3 weeks now and been bad overall. And you're throwing in Schofield, who lost the starting RG job to a guy that never played the position because he looked so bad in preseason. So, you're still going from 3 bad OL to 3 bad OL. Marginal upgrade at best.

Nobody's doing cartwheels or expecting great things from this. It's just one of those "ABOUT DAMN TIME" adjustments that should've happened long ago and seemed obvious to us armchair coach fans. You know it's late & bad when the media eventually piles on.

Wasn't it one of Musty's guys blowing him up that rolled up on Cody's leg and knocked him out?

It's triage life-support for this O, and they finally attended to the worst & most lingering injury by benching him.

Next up, the focus will probably be clamoring for Schofield to swap with Jenkins bec "Scho is used to playing on the right".

Change for the sake of change is ignorant, but worse is continuing with what is proven failure when other possibilities to improve exist. IDK ?‍♂️

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Shuffling your OLine like a deck of cards each week, or even each play, has a long track record of success in the NFL.

So many of your ELITE teams will consistently rotate OLine to keep up a regular level of entropy in that huddle.

I would actually expect to see Eberflus switch this up to an OLine that works much more like lines/pairings during a hockey game.

The way this would work is you do pairings of the OTs, and then groups of 3 for each "line", and you rotate new guys in on every single play.

The objective, as we all know, is to have an OLine with so much entropy that they have no clue what the snap count is, nor perhaps even what play has been called.

In the end this is a net benefit to the Bears, as they tend to find success when the opponent cannot guess the play because the Bears OLine has no idea what it even is.

This kind of football genius is only seen once every 3-4 years in Chicago.

If you are demanding elite in a rebuild year... maybe you need to be more realistic...

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Why am I not surprised that CCS'/CBMB's Teresa Giudice is dropping bombs rn and low key provoking people. Question is whether she will watch the game or just browse twitter while jerking off to c3po