**OFFICAIL** Bears Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The problem with this is they can't tag Young and Sweat and if they sign Sweat to a big deal then tagging Young becomes more difficult. So this likely signals they will have to chose between one of them at some point.

Payne and Allen are both 21.5 million in 2024 and the franchise tag is another 24m. So that is already 67 million for 3 guys and then if you sign another guy to an extension that just adds to it. I mean Commanders could chose to go that route but that is probably a terrible allocation of cap space to one position group.
Same thing was said about them tagging/signing Payne. It is a bit much, but so was re-signing Payne. They have an out on Allen for 9M savings, if they want. And an out on Roulier for 10M savings. Leno 10M savings. Logan Thomas 6-7Mil. It wouldn't be the best use of cap space, but they can afford both DEs if they want.

But yeah, they will likely choose between the two. Based on declining Young's 5th year, sounds like they already made a decision. But they won't get enough in a trade to make it worthwhile to trade Chase at this point. So, the best hope is he either plays really well and they have a good season or he does just enough to get a nice contract on the market and they get a comp pick.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Same thing was said about them tagging/signing Payne. It is a bit much, but so was re-signing Payne. They have an out on Allen for 9M savings, if they want. And an out on Roulier for 10M savings. Leno 10M savings. Logan Thomas 6-7Mil. It wouldn't be the best use of cap space, but they can afford both DEs if they want.

But yeah, they will likely choose between the two. Based on declining Young's 5th year, sounds like they already made a decision. But they won't get enough in a trade to make it worthwhile to trade Chase at this point. So, the best hope is he either plays really well and they have a good season or he does just enough to get a nice contract on the market and they get a comp pick.

I assume if no one bowls them over they just carry him into the season and then trade either he or Sweat based on how they perform.

Unlikely they get a comp pick as have 89m in cap and only 35 players signed so will have to sign some free agents.

Fuller is a FA so they will need a starting CB hence why I suggested a trade of JJ for Chase or Sweat. Allows them to reallocate some of the cap dollars to CB rather than have it all in the DL.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nah that's not the only lesson.

Busts and off-field malfeasance are just facts of life, forces of NFL nature that you can mitigate but never fully control. Great general managers have made bad picks. Things go wrong in ways nobody could realistically predict.

The point I'm making here is that guys like Kenneth Murray and Patrick Queen aren't bad players but still weren't great picks. They were not disappointments insofar as their play on the field. If they played cornerback or pass rusher as well as they played inside linebacker they wouldn't be lumped in with Javon Kinlaw or CJ Henderson.

Would I rather have them than Henry Ruggs? Uh, yeah. Duh. But you might actually be better off just taking a more valuable position with those picks unless you really think you have a Hall of Fame type talent available.

last a checked tho, it is pretty important to field a complete team

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
If Howell works out or they decide to target a qb in the draft, they'd probably have the flexibility to do that.
They do have the flexibility to extend one of Sweat or Young and franchise the other, but Washington has been investing in the defense and ignoring the offense since Rivera got there. They let Brandon Scherff and Trent Williams leave via free agency after mismanaging their contracts for years. They're 22-27-1 under Rivera, and during that time they've had the 8th-best defense yet the 25th-ranked offense. They're the odds-on favorite to finish last in their division again this year, and they're going into the season with a 5th-round draft pick as their starting QB who has only thrown 19 passes in his career. They have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL (their best lineman is Charles Leno). Yet, they draft a cornerback in the 1st round, and a safety in the second, they did sandwich in a center and a guard in the 3rd and 4th rounds, but then they went right back to the defensive side of the ball adding an edge rusher and an LB. I can easily see this team struggling at the start of the season, and selling off pieces to get as many draft picks as possible. In my view, this team needs to tank and try to get one of the top QBs coming out next year or they're going to be in football hell for years.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Nah that's not the only lesson.

Busts and off-field malfeasance are just facts of life, forces of NFL nature that you can mitigate but never fully control. Great general managers have made bad picks. Things go wrong in ways nobody could realistically predict.

The point I'm making here is that guys like Kenneth Murray and Patrick Queen aren't bad players but still weren't great picks. They were not disappointments insofar as their play on the field. If they played cornerback or pass rusher as well as they played inside linebacker they wouldn't be lumped in with Javon Kinlaw or CJ Henderson.

Would I rather have them than Henry Ruggs? Uh, yeah. Duh. But you might actually be better off just taking a more valuable position with those picks unless you really think you have a Hall of Fame type talent available.
Lol

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
No I know thin dudes that tried to pack on muscle and it made them feel like shit as given they were athletes with high metabolism the amount of calories they had to consume to put and keep on weight was unnatural for their body.
Thin people can pack on serious muscle with the right nutrition and program. No supplements needed. It's not even that difficult if you know what you're doing but they do have to eat significantly more calories then they are used to which is uncomfortable until the body adjusts.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Ahh the whole world thinking drafting the #2 RB in a non RB NFL at 12 while you have similar talent on the team and an ILB at 18 that no one else was drafting day 1 was frickin' horrible was because of lack of dopamine.

Got it.

Hey Brad, let me save you some time in 2027, Gibbs and Campbell's 5th year options...declined.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Jahns yesterday and Cronin today… The process and detail was solid. They did get their guy and extracted a 4th out of Howie while they were on the clock at 9 too.

If Wright is the player they expect, quite nicely done.

Today’s feature on Wright:

Last edited: