Official Breaking Bad Thread (Vol. Better Call Saul S5)

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Or after Saul?

That is assuming we already saw the last of her in this show. The character is great and the actress is even better, so I would check it out.

The actor that plays Fring has been working like crazy lately and that character got a lot of milage in these two series. Again, I would check it out...I just don't see it happening.

I really like Nacho, but can he carry a show?

Maybe a spinoff that is more cartel based and focuses on the Salamancas so you can bring Nacho back.

(And more Lalo!!!)

And Jesse Pinkman got a movie on Netflix called 'El Camino". It was good, not great...but gave you some closure with the character.

I thought that too about Kim. But they have shown her with her mom before and it's very interesting wtih the shoplifting thing.

Nacho would have to be a cartel spinoff

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I was thinking of spinoffs they could do for the BB/BCS World...

- Kim's life prior to Saul
- Gus
- Jesse after BB?
- Nacho prior to BCS
No. Now that would get Stars Warsy as someone referenced earlier.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Breaking Bad was fantastic and Better Call Saul has been very, very worthy of being part of that legacy.

As they say in show business “Always leave them wanting more.”

Do not go all Star Wars and make 70 versions/prequels/sequels/spin-offs of this.

Nobody wants Archie Bunkers Place or After MASH. ?

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
"One year later, he's got a pile of cash as big as a Volkswagen. That's crazy."

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Tonight's episode felt a bit like BB''s "the Fly" to me, in that a lot of people loved it, but I felt "meh" about ti. Please take my comments with a grain of salt; I loved the first 3 seasons of BB (some of my former students were in it), and I love Bob Odenkirk from his earlier work, but tonight's episode felt like 'season-filler'

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
That said, @Granada , tonight's episode felt a bit like Gilligan as throwing the criticism of every character cooking up a Rube Goldberg-like scheme to succeed in our face which succeeds (as we've discussed), but it did show some "character development" into Jimmy/Saul or at least showing him

having some remorse (if fleeting and shallow) about his brother and Kim, having used his loss of them in his life as part of a lie

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As someone who loved Breaking Bad and would put it top 3 all time for TV shows, is Better Call Saul worth the watch? Is it similar quality?

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As someone who loved Breaking Bad and would put it top 3 all time for TV shows, is Better Call Saul worth the watch? Is it similar quality?

Better Call Saul is worth the watch but definitely not in the same league as Breaking Bad or Ozark. I would put it a notch below Yellowstone and a bit above Bloodline. Of course everyone has their own taste.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
You will struggle to get through the first two seasons but it’s good tv after that

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
After this last episode idt Kim story line is over it’s just going to be after breaking bad timeline

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Tonight's episode felt a bit like BB''s "the Fly" to me, in that a lot of people loved it, but I felt "meh" about ti. Please take my comments with a grain of salt; I loved the first 3 seasons of BB (some of my former students were in it), and I love Bob Odenkirk from his earlier work, but tonight's episode felt like 'season-filler'

Felt like a filler episode.

I get looking at "Gene" in the future and him going back to the Slippin Jimmy ways. But overall was blah. Cameos were good tho.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Push through first two. Dont quit on it. Gets way better after that.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Yeah definitely felt like filler, but I was okay with it being an all Gene episode. Like I said, I'd be fine if the remaining episodes were all Gene, even though that's probably an unpopular view.

Yeah the part where Gene stops after exiting the security room to collect himself at the end, I wasn't sure if he was ashamed of himself (that he used Kim and his brother to lie and/or get him out of a jam, etc.) or if he was collecting himself because he was still on edge after being so damn close to getting caught. Maybe a little of both.

I mean, the next logical step in this show would be things going sideways with the two Nebraska dudes. That one guy's mom says he was involved with some shady people in Albuquerque. That's the big question that will be answered: who were those people exactly? I imagine they have to be connected to Walt/Jesse/drugs in some way and maybe once his ties are revealed, we'll get a flashback of Walt/Jesse. Or is the dude somehow connected to the crazy white power gang at the end of BB? It'll be fun reveal.

Nippy. Lol. That was my favorite part of the episode.

Also, very cool how they altered the beginning to represent that we are in Gene times now. Normally it shows the glass falling slowly and breaking on the ground while the music plays, but that was interrupted as if the tape was ejected. Was that simple symbolism representing the Saul times are in the past? Or does it mean more, like Jimmy/Gene will pick up the pieces? Either way, the intro is something to pay attention to next episode.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It is definitely worth it. The comments about the first two seasons make it sound like it is torture which it absolutely is not. It just isn’t breaking bad season six and seven which a lot of people wanted. Better call Saul becomes much more like breaking bad later but it absolutely is worth watching even in seasons one and two it’s just a different show than breaking bad at that point.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Perhaps it speaks to the quality of both shows overall that we are critiquing the latest episode right down to every move and complaining that it wasn’t up there with the others or what not.

That episode of Gene and his little caper in the mall was good TV.

And who had Carol Burnett in Better Call Saul on the 2022 TV bingo card?

Granada

Liked Posts:
Yeah if you're a fan of BB, it's definitely worth watching. Yeah, the early seasons aren't exactly "action packed" every second, but if you can appreciate actor's performance and don't solely need action to keep you interested, then you'll be fine.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
And who had Carol Burnett in Better Call Saul on the 2022 TV bingo card?

As a huge fan of her old show, my heart swelled when I saw it was Carol in that roundabout. I wonder if working with her was on Bob Odenkirk's bucket list and that was the reason she got cast.

I did enjoy the all Gene episode, even if it played out nothing like what I expected.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Better Call Saul is worth the watch but definitely not in the same league as Breaking Bad or Ozark. I would put it a notch below Yellowstone and a bit above Bloodline. Of course everyone has their own taste.
I’d put it well above Sons of Anarchy on horseback (Yellowstone). I swear they kill and brand more people on that show, than cows. Riding on horseback w/ Leverguns in the dark of night, into a Militia that has fully automatic weapons, night vision goggles, and behind cover…not a scratch for the cowboys. Beth’s introduction scene, with the hostile takeover. The dialog was ridiculous.

It’s entertaining, but not thought provoking, and difficult to watch at times inasmuch as suspending belief.