Official CCS Grillmasters thread

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
I need a new grill. Got a charcoal chimney from a buddy and I won't light coals any other way. Perfect heat for what I need.
Fired up some pork tenderloin yesterday. Started it off on indirect heat for about 20 minutes, then direct for the last 15. Tented for 5.
Prepped it with a dry rub, pepper and a pinch of Lawry's.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I need a new grill. Got a charcoal chimney from a buddy and I won't light coals any other way. Perfect heat for what I need.
Fired up some pork tenderloin yesterday. Started it off on indirect heat for about 20 minutes, then direct for the last 15. Tented for 5.
Prepped it with a dry rub, pepper and a pinch of Lawry's.

Was it thinly sliced? Seems like not near enough time to cook the tenderloin.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Still waiting for my grill parts.....:thinking:

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
New cook grate finally arrived today. Indirect slow cooker/Smoker is back in action. What should I baptize the new grate with? Ribs? Brisket? Pork Shoulder? Yard bird?

Last edited:

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Cutting up a pork shoulder for country ribs today. Gonna do an Italian sausage rub on half, sweet bbq glaze on other. Beet salad, cuke salad out the garden for sides. Yum.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
no. I'm putting an Italian sausage style rub on the meat. Ground fennel, garlic, chili flake, etc...

Sounds heavenly... hope u and the fam enjoy it.

I bought some uncured chicken wings from Whole Foods. Gonna cook them over charcoal.

Sauce is going to be Frank's Red Hot, tablespoon of real butter, ancho chili powder, chili powder, white pepper, crushed red pepper, ground black pepper, squeeze of lime, dash of cinnamon and celery powder.

Not looking to die of any nitrates today.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Sounds heavenly... hope u and the fam enjoy it.

I bought some uncured chicken wings from Whole Foods. Gonna cook them over charcoal.

Sauce is going to be Frank's Red Hot, tablespoon of real butter, ancho chili powder, chili powder, white pepper, crushed red pepper, ground black pepper, squeeze of lime, dash of cinnamon and celery powder.

Not looking to die of any nitrates today.
I like the dash of cinnamon in that gravy. It really compliments the celery powder.

Guess Who

Liked Posts:
This thread is dead. Maybe the bbq rub thread in food forum should be moved here.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Bump.

Have moved Food & Drink forum into The Bar.

Guess Who

Liked Posts:
Smoked three racks of baby backs today. Got them on sale. $2.00 a pound. Made them with Memphis Rendezvous style homemade rub.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My alternative to smoking ribs:

Dry rub (whatever floats your boat)
Braise in the oven in a shallow roasting pan. Completely cover and seal with foil. Braising liquid is your choice, but I've been using stouts (Founders Imperial was my last venture). So, you pour in enough beer to cover between 1/2 to 2/3 of the meat. Toss in oven at 275 for a minimum of 3 hours, but preferably around 5.
Remove from oven and let cool. Move into foil wrapping for storage/transport after an hour or so.
Toss on high-heat grill to caramelize whatever sauce you feel like tossing on.

Something that is oddly simple, and sounds like it would be terrible, but works out great is a london broil marinated in italian dressing. Italian dressing is actually very similar in it's constitution to a vinegar based BBQ sauce, so it kind of makes sense.

Use a yuge chunk of top round or tri-tip. Marinate in a ziplock over night. Sear on super high heat on each side. Slice into 1/8 inch thick slices (against the grain). Place slices on top rack of grill to finish cooking (about 3 more minutes). It's delicious by itself, but is even better with a red wine based sauce.