PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
@Ares when you go to buy beef ribs, request from your butcher to leave them whole. They typically cut them into short ribs, but the whole rib is so much better.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I was busy last night eating them ribs and watching the draft....

Better late than never for pics

OuLqbc5.jpg

p7dcaMJ.jpg

They were good, not great.... I didn't give them enough time in the foil to get tender.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Those look good. I like a nice tug when eating ribs.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Made burgers last night, no picture taken, but I did something different that I thought was pretty cool. I whipped up some butter, garlic, and rosemary and put them over the burgers on the last flip. Let that melt down, and then covered with cheese. Using butter wasn't groundbreaking, but it was the first time I did it and it gave a great new flavor to them.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A4E958AD-BE51-4FEE-B35F-CB1EE1BF8B4F.jpeg
Pork ribs today. Mustard binder, Costco rub that has a bit of kick, so I went light in the rub for the kids sake. On the Traeger at 180 for around 3 hours. I’ll check them at that point and maybe wrap them for an hour or so with some beer.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Closing in on 5 hours with a brisket on the egg. Will try to post a pick. We’ve been grilling and smoking, a lot, since this all started.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm in the market for a grill. I'm thinking pellet. I still have my gas grill (Weber Q Series) and love it. I bought it right out of college and has been perfect, but looking for something I can smoke with.

What do y'all recommend? I'm naturally drawn to Weber products so was looking at the new Weber SmokeFire EX4, but it's getting very mixed reviews so I'm not sure it's worth the $1,000 price tag.

CC: @Ares @Burque @PaytonHighstep @BearFanJohn

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm in the market for a grill. I'm thinking pellet. I still have my gas grill (Weber Q Series) and love it. I bought it right out of college and has been perfect, but looking for something I can smoke with.

What do y'all recommend? I'm naturally drawn to Weber products so was looking at the new Weber SmokeFire EX4, but it's getting very mixed reviews so I'm not sure it's worth the $1,000 price tag.

Explain what you want to do with the new grill.

Do you smoke meats on your current grill or is it just gas and grates.... burgers, dogs, chicken, etc?

My "grill" is a 3-in-1... it has one side with a gas grill and gas side-burner, and the other is a charcoal grill which also serves as the cooking chamber for the attached firebox.

It is an offset smoker, charcoal grill, and gas grill all in one.

I'll be honest, I enjoy it, but wish I'd of just gotten a larger offset smoker, since that's mostly what I use.

Pellet smokers are usually quite expensive, but you'd have a set-it-and-forget-it smoker.

I enjoy the hobby of smoking meats, so Idk if I'd get a pellet smoker, it is more akin to heating up an oven and throwing in a piece of meat.

Last edited:

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Explain what you want to do with the new grill.

Do you smoke meats on your current grill or is it just gas and grates.... burgers, dogs, chicken, etc?

My "grill" is a 3-in-1... it has one side with a gas grill and gas side-burner, and the other is a charcoal grill which also serves as the cooking chamber for the attached firebox.

It is an offset smoker, charcoal grill, and gas grill all in one.

I'll be honest, I enjoy it, but wish I'd of just gotten a larger offset smoker, since that's mostly what I use.

Pellet smokers are usually quite expensive, but you'd have a set-it-and-forget-it smoker.

I enjoy the hobby of smoking meats, so Idk if I'd get a pellet smoker, it is more akin to heating up an oven and throwing in a piece of meat.
Current grill is just basic shit. Burgs, brats, chicken. I’ve done ribs but it’s not ideal.

want something I can smoke with (if it could double as a grill with direct heat that’d be ideal but not required). The set it and forget it method is what I’m looking for tbh.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Also, if any of you IL peeps are ever over in the Quad Cities/Davenport area, check this place out.

These brats are the best I've ever had and honestly worth a road trip if you're in Chicago. Mango Habanero is fucking incredible. My wifes family lives over this way and anytime her dad comes out I have him deliver 3 kinds or so. The brats are massive too. Run 8-10 bux for a pack of 5.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

I know u were peeping that Weber kettle a lil bit ago. I'm not joking when I told u I smoke 15 lb butts on it and get gr8 results. Caveat it did take a while to master...

If u were considering dropping a grand tho, why not build one? Like do the outhouse style smokehouse swith bricks and cedar? Probably save at least 700 bux and it will make u more of a manly man.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Current grill is just basic shit. Burgs, brats, chicken. I’ve done ribs but it’s not ideal.

want something I can smoke with (if it could double as a grill with direct heat that’d be ideal but not required). The set it and forget it method is what I’m looking for tbh.

Might as well get a Traeger then... you can find them in the 500-1500 range, wood pellets, set it and forget it.

If you need direct heat cooking, use your current grill.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Btw I've got all the meat on the smoker at this point.

Pork butt went on around 10am

2g1aOdz.jpg

St Louis cut ribs went on around 11am

E6xgDLW.jpg

Baby backs went on last around noon

VF8gyTv.jpg

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I know u were peeping that Weber kettle a lil bit ago. I'm not joking when I told u I smoke 15 lb butts on it and get gr8 results. Caveat it did take a while to master...

If u were considering dropping a grand tho, why not build one? Like do the outhouse style smokehouse swith bricks and cedar? Probably save at least 700 bux and it will make u more of a manly man.
Idkkkkk. I’m so indecisive. I started looking at just the OG kettles and it escalated into Pellets lol.