***Official*** College Basketball Thread (Vol. March Sadness 2020)

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
They won’t beat them with Zion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, Duke didn't have Zion, fair point. But We act like Duke doesn't have other five-star recruits and lottery picks on the roster. Blame K. Awful coaching job with Zion out and no depth. Duke was GASSED in the second half because they have no bench. He burned Joey Baker's redshirt for him to play 12 minutes in 5 games?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sure, Duke didn't have Zion, fair point. But We act like Duke doesn't have other five-star recruits and lottery picks on the roster. Blame K. Awful coaching job with Zion out and no depth. Duke was GASSED in the second half because they have no bench. He burned Joey Baker's redshirt for him to play 12 minutes in 5 games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Duke one seed, confirmed.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bernard Muir, the chair of the Div 1 basketball committee, just said on CBS the committee will have to evaluate how healthy Zion Williamson looks in the ACC tourney to properly seed Duke. That seems fraught with controversy.</p>— Dan Wolken (@DanWolken) <a href="https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/1104793161950470145?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 10, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wow. Some good games today in conference championship games..

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Seems I messed up that message. lol Usually, I would agree with you but Duke is in a weird place. Barrett and Reddish are ISO players. Barrett over Reddish. I think that why Cam struggles because they have tried to make him a different player for the sake of Barrett who is an ISO player. Duke has no shooters which is weird for them. Coach K has never had a Duke team like this one and I dont think any coach has this type. You are talking 3 top 5 to 7 draft picks. People think Reddish will drop out the top 5 but I dont believe so. He is 6'8 and the prototype for the NBA.

But, why they beat North Carolina with Zion? Zion is the Lebron JAmes of college ball right now. He is the most efficient player I have ever seen at this level. He also stops May from destroying Duke in the paint and on rebounds.

Legit, Zion is a mix of Julius Randle and Rodman to me. He doesnt just jump high. His timing is incredible on his jumps. Thats what made Rodman so good. You cant bully Zion. He is so strong in the body and the hands. I dont care if Duke has 2 five star recruits playing. Zion is the NCAA player of the year and losing him for any team kills you.

I dont care what Duke is seeded. If Zion is healthy, they are the favorites.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bernard Muir, the chair of the Div 1 basketball committee, just said on CBS the committee will have to evaluate how healthy Zion Williamson looks in the ACC tourney to properly seed Duke. That seems fraught with controversy.</p>— Dan Wolken (@DanWolken) <a href="https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/1104793161950470145?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 10, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thats weird to say. Coach K basically said Zion is going to play the tourney. I knew they would hold him out for the last game. It just made sense. No one cares who won the regular season crown.

I also believe Duke, North Carolina, and Virgina will all get a number 1 seed. Virgina is a lock with Gonzaga. I dont see how Tennessee or LSU top them for bracketing.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thats weird to say. Coach K basically said Zion is going to play the tourney. I knew they would hold him out for the last game. It just made sense. No one cares who won the regular season crown.

I also believe Duke, North Carolina, and Virgina will all get a number 1 seed. Virgina is a lock with Gonzaga. I dont see how Tennessee or LSU top them for bracketing.

I dont think the ACC gets 3. I think it's UVA and then Duke/UNC unless UK losses early.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Seeing that the new trend in ruining college bball games is the use of "flagrant foul" calls at the end of games to determine the outcome. Any play when a guy ends up on the floor is getting reviewed for some reason, and sometimes the refs actually award flagrant fouls.

It pretty much decided the Bradley-UNI game...Bradley had scored 15 points in the 1st half (what is this, U of I?), and were trailing by 3 at the end of the game. Bradley guard gets fouled while driving to the basket, a Bradley player shoves a UNI player from behind and he collides with the shooter. Refs look at this, say the UNI player intentionally elbowed the Bradley player in the face and call a flagrant foul. For reasons unknown, the announcers are fine with this and say it was the correct call. HUH? Bradley got 4 FTs and the ball, end up winning by 3.

Similar thing happened in the Lipscomb-Liberty game. Can't wait for this to continue in the actual NCAA tournament.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Seeing that the new trend in ruining college bball games is the use of "flagrant foul" calls at the end of games to determine the outcome. Any play when a guy ends up on the floor is getting reviewed for some reason, and sometimes the refs actually award flagrant fouls.

It pretty much decided the Bradley-UNI game...Bradley had scored 15 points in the 1st half (what is this, U of I?), and were trailing by 3 at the end of the game. Bradley guard gets fouled while driving to the basket, a Bradley player shoves a UNI player from behind and he collides with the shooter. Refs look at this, say the UNI player intentionally elbowed the Bradley player in the face and call a flagrant foul. For reasons unknown, the announcers are fine with this and say it was the correct call. HUH? Bradley got 4 FTs and the ball, end up winning by 3.

Similar thing happened in the Lipscomb-Liberty game. Can't wait for this to continue in the actual NCAA tournament.

They went to the Tim Donaghy school of reffing

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Its been all year. Its terrible. I have seen so many calls on it and you are like they are playing basketball. Also, players ask for the review all the time because of how many are being called.

NCAA basketball officiating is atrocious. They determine the outcome of games all the time. There is absolutely no consistency.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Its been all year. Its terrible. I have seen so many calls on it and you are like they are playing basketball. Also, players ask for the review all the time because of how many are being called.

Yeah, I never liked players who always have a pained look on their face or move in an overexaggerated manner in order to get a foul call, but now guys are seeing how apt ("abt") the refs are in calling flagrant fouls that the flopping has become even more absurd in trying to draw a flagrant foul. The flop in the Lipscomb-Liberty game has to be seen to be believed. Even Neymar would have been applauding.

[video=youtube;T2f2GhjTkvQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2f2GhjTkvQ[/video]

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I never liked players who always have a pained look on their face or move in an overexaggerated manner in order to get a foul call, but now guys are seeing how apt ("abt") the refs are in calling flagrant fouls that the flopping has become even more absurd in trying to draw a flagrant foul. The flop in the Lipscomb-Liberty game has to be seen to be believed. Even Neymar would have been applauding.

[video=youtube;T2f2GhjTkvQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2f2GhjTkvQ[/video]

Lol the announcer is horrible. The guy threw his face into the player and took a bump like Shawn Michaels. Haha that is horrendous. How do you got to replay and call that a flagrant.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Lol the announcer is horrible. The guy threw his face into the player and took a bump like Shawn Michaels. Haha that is horrendous. How do you got to replay and call that a flagrant.

The announcers were the worst part. What on earth were they watching? It was like you were thinking there must have been a different video feed where the announcers weren't seeing the same replays that the audience was.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

The UNI-Bradley deal was that the player was fouled twice. He was fouled once on the shot..then again after the initial foul so it's a technical foul so 2 shots plus the ball. It wasn't a flagrant..so the call was even more odd.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
The UNI-Bradley deal was that the player was fouled twice. He was fouled once on the shot..then again after the initial foul so it's a technical foul so 2 shots plus the ball. It wasn't a flagrant..so the call was even more odd.

Interesting. What was the review for then? If they concluded it was a flagrant foul, would that have been a 3rd infraction on top of the regular foul and the technical foul? I don't think I've ever seen that call made...although I guess I don't pay that close attention.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

Bernard Muir, the chair of the Div 1 basketball committee, just said on CBS the committee will have to evaluate how healthy Zion Williamson looks in the ACC tourney to properly seed Duke. That seems fraught with controversy.
This is amazingly dumb.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting. What was the review for then? If they concluded it was a flagrant foul, would that have been a 3rd infraction on top of the regular foul and the technical foul? I don't think I've ever seen that call made...although I guess I don't pay that close attention.

Anything I've read today was that it was a technical for him getting hit in the face after the initial foul by the players hands. Flagrants are reserved for elbows. Odd rule. Never seen it called. Ever. Even more odd to get that hyper technical during a Championship game.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Anything I've read today was that it was a technical for him getting hit in the face after the initial foul by the players hands. Flagrants are reserved for elbows. Odd rule. Never seen it called. Ever. Even more odd to get that hyper technical during a Championship game.

Thanks. Someone should do a chart on when flagrants/technicals are called during a game. I assume 90% of them happen in the last 2 minutes. Then on the final possession, the whistles are swallowed and anything goes (see Marquette-Georgetown ending). Strange.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wofford officially punches their ticket. 6-8 seed?