Official Cubs Game Thread!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
David refused to sit vets who were clearly worn down late season.

Counsell recognizes that teams gave lulls. This offense in April was scoring a lot. No panic in a manager is a good thing.

I tend to like a reset where you bench a guy and he gets work in at finding his groove in the gage. They have the depth to do reset scenarios.

The whole wait for it bull crap gets old after a month.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
We’re literally allowing the ghost of Paul Goldschmidt to beat us.

He’s been a strikeout machine for two months.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
At best this club was .500 on paper starting the season, and now they are playing to the mean.

Quality of the starter dictates the outcome. Just about every game that the Cubs score it is against back of the rotation arms. Except against the Pirates... that was just ugly.

Happ has been benched for a while and came back with 2 HR's. So I do believe in the reset method. Astros just recalled Abreu who went through a reset and he feels recharged.

Jed has the depth to pull this off. The vets should be leading the way but utilize the depth not just for injury but for getting the struggling hitters into a swing retool scenario

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Quality of the starter dictates the outcome. Just about every game that the Cubs score it is against back of the rotation arms. Except against the Pirates... that was just ugly.

Happ has been benched for a while and came back with 2 HR's. So I do believe in the reset method. Astros just recalled Abreu who went through a reset and he feels recharged.

Jed has the depth to pull this off. The vets should be leading the way but utilize the depth not just for injury but for getting the struggling hitters into a swing retool scenario
This team has a bad bullpen, bad lineup and awful defense. Hopefully hoyer is gone next year. This year should've been make or break for him. Playoffs or fired. They needed to be aggressive this past offseason and instead were super passive and ignored glaring areas of need. Hoyer has always piggy backed off theos success but is terrible as the man in charge.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He knows how to manage, particularly a bullpen. But Hoyer provided him with a bullpen of dumpster pitchers...discards from other teams. Ross was provided with the same, if not less and had the Cubs in the hunt till late. Hoyer fired him. Big, BIG difference is Counsell had the Brewer pen to work with in Milwaukee.

Somebody should just fire Hoyer.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
God fucking damnit. Finally got Steele back and bull crap pen and O.

Fuck

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He knows how to manage, particularly a bullpen. But Hoyer provided him with a bullpen of dumpster pitchers...discards from other teams. Ross was provided with the same, if not less and had the Cubs in the hunt till late. Hoyer fired him. Big, BIG difference is Counsell had the Brewer pen to work with in Milwaukee.

Somebody should just fire Hoyer.

Ya Jed has done some things well like push the quality of the farm to levels not seen since Dallas Green.

I want to say time is the core issue. It takes time to develop and adjust talent to MLB standards.

Now I don't like the feel good stuff. Like resigning Kyle. That 16M could have gone to a few FA arms that would have stabilized the pen.

Regarding Craig

My main issue is honestly not leading off with Hoerner every day. Happ failed. Tauchman did ok. Hoerner is just better at it. And I feel that Hoerner should just go back to stealing again. Pit the pressure on the D and the catcher to not make mistakes.

There are some things that hitters can control. Base running. Swinging at pitches on your zone and laying off bad pitches. A good sign from a hitter is fouling off pitcher strikes. That is when a hitter is in the zone. Forces the pitcher to go in zone or spike it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Oh and Leiter....lacks talent. He is good for the talent he possesses.

The real issue is a lack of talent in the pen that forces lower talented pitchers into game changing scenarios.

Shit ... Until Jed can make a real trade this is a pointless topic. Steele was on his game and shut them down then the talent pool dropped and they attacked. Until you can keep that pressure high until the close of the game this will just suck

What it comes down to is 96-99MPH and a 2nd pitch that screws them up.

The O has been pathetic. In general and the whole turn the corner bull crap is just that. They need to bring up PCA and start benching slumpers. But get the slumpers fixed. Worked with Suzuki and can work with other players. Keeping the faith in the process is just keeping the losses going.

One other note. I see this as personal for Craig. Saw that he moved Shota back to match their Ace....

Feels like Craig is full of shit tbh. Proactive push back for reasons. Ie innings ... Maybe. I see it as a convenient excuse to beat his old team and set up his best starters (Brown has game 2). So ya it is a competitive move.

But the point that I am getting to here is proactive vs reactive management.

Proactive management is benching and having that player work through his struggles in the cage vs losing games.

Proactive is having enough depth to be able to do such a thing.

Proactive is letting the team and the media know that we are here to win games and if it takes a reset to address it it should be the process.

Reactive is basically wait and see. Or nothing. Or bring up due to injury.

Right now Craig could have PCA in the OF and Vasquez in the IF providing flexibility to be able to reset these guys. That is proactive.

What is happening is doing the same thing everyday and expecting a better result.

That is called insanity

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Resetting is basically looking over their swing. Craig did talk about this on Happ. It really was not about what pitchers are doing to him. It was about Happ falling out of his strengths.

Basically players get into bad habits and in season it is really hard to correct them. It is a grind and it really takes a few days to acknowledge and correct and create muscle memory.

It is the same process as physical therapy. Takes time to fix it. Some a few days others a bit more.

It could be a minor thing with a player. Like dropping their hands. Or a timing mechanic.

When I played I had to open my stance to get both of my eyes on the pitcher. I was closed and couldn't read the pitch as well. Made a huge difference.

But looking over Happ's 2 HR's. His swing was text book. Good front foot plant. Hip rotation and rear leg pivot was clean. Kept his head in on the swing and good follow through

So he was working on his swing mechanic a lot of his 2 benching. It works and should be the method going forward with all of the hitters.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
In addition to being awful offensively and not blocking pitches, Amaya can't stop anyone from stealing. As often as not, he doesn't even make a throw.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Ben Brown has been a terrific acquisition. He has an ERA of 2.72 overall and 1.61 since his debut outing in which he got beat up in relief.

7 no hit innings tonight with 10 Ks. Sensational outing.

Cubs offense keeping Brewers in the game, of course.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Bases loaded. 2outs. Top of 9th. Our genius Manager lets a .194 batter up to the plate for some insurance runs. Counsell is a fucking moron.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Bases loaded. 2outs. Top of 9th. Our genius Manager lets a .194 batter up to the plate for some insurance runs. Counsell is a fucking moron.
Happ and Amaya batted with bases loaded (different innings).

Both struck out without getting the bat on the ball.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I would have preferred anyone but Amaya there, except Happ.

Not that I like the bench options, but anyone else there!

Edit: And then Amaya is pulled for pinch runner.