Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
Look at those Vegas Golden Knights, getting the #18 prospect according to the Athletic at pick 32! Welcome to Vegas, David Edstrom! Getting another two way player that Bruce Cassidy likes. Re-signed BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARBASHEV, Adin Hill on the verge of re-signing too, LET THE GOLDEN AGE CONTINUE!

Rise

Liked Posts:
I’m trying to learn hockey because of this and I need something interesting to watch as I can’t stand the Bulls anymore. That said it sucks how they can draft players who won’t play for them right away. Like what is wrong with the nhl these guys would rather player for a college? Makes no sense.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m trying to learn hockey because of this and I need something interesting to watch as I can’t stand the Bulls anymore. That said it sucks how they can draft players who won’t play for them right away. Like what is wrong with the nhl these guys would rather player for a college? Makes no sense.

Bedard and Moore will be playing opening night. These kids are 17-18 years old and most need a lot of development. Would you rather go play for a few years in Regina Saskatchewan for 60k or go to Boston College for a few years with NIL deals and get the college experience?

Kurtosis

Liked Posts:
A lot of the kids being drafted still need to develop physically. Think of it like the NFL draft, the youngest players being drafted are 20 years old and have had 2 years to fill out. Playing right off the bat only happens with the truly elite players, i.e Bedard.

I think Moore will spend a year at Minnesota and be on the team next year along with Nazar.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
A lot of the kids being drafted still need to develop physically. Think of it like the NFL draft, the youngest players being drafted are 20 years old and have had 2 years to fill out. Playing right off the bat only happens with the truly elite players, i.e Bedard.

I think Moore will spend a year at Minnesota and be on the team next year along with Nazar.

I forgot Moore had NCAA lined up. Otherwise we were saying the same thing.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Hawks had the best draft after round 1. Helps to have the number 1 but catching Moore at 19 was very surprising and sealed the deal. Still have six picks in the next two rounds as well. I’d expect a trade or two maybe turning a second into a future second and another pick to spread out the wealth a bit. With a hard cap and 50 contract limit, you can have too many prospects matriculating at the same time.

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Like to see the BHs use one of their second round picks on the 6'7" goalie Hrabal.....why not? They would still have 3 2nd rounders left. I'm not sure, but I think they don't have a "he's the guy" goalie in the system.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Any of you buy a Conrad Bernard jersey yet?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Review of the first round from Scott Wheeler of The Athletic:
  • Winners: Teams I believe won out over their competition with consistent, sleuth, home-run-level selections relative to where they picked.
  • Overtime winners: Teams I believe did well with where they were slotted, even if they might not have picked the exact player(s) I would have.
  • Overtime losers: Teams I believe could have done better but might, in time, be happy with their pick(s) regardless.
  • Losers: Teams I believe will regret taking the player(s) they chose.

Winners

Chicago Blackhawks

Pick: 1. Connor Bedard
My ranking: No. 1

Pick: 19. Oliver Moore
My ranking: No. 9

I know you’re jacked about Bedard if you’re a Blackhawks fan. You should be jacked about Moore at No. 19, too, though. There was always going to be a really high-end forward or two available into the late teens or early 20s, and Moore, the best skater in the draft, is excellent value there for me. The skating defines him (as it defined 2022 Blackhawks picks Frank Nazar and Paul Ludwinski, among others), his work rate is impressive, but I’m a big believer in his skill and shot too.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

KD was trying but no team wanted to trade. I knew he wanted to move up despite some thinking he would rather add more picks. Interesting to see with no trades materializing does he make all picks or trade for a player.
I hope he stays true to what he's said to this point. Build from the ground up. I'm okay with another Cap relief deal like with Hall but make the picks, see how that goes first.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Thrilled with the picks, obviously. Also loved seeing Bettman the coward bring out Poille in the desperate hope that he wouldn't be booed, only to be booed all the more. And Carey Price -- I don't think I've ever seen a person freeze like that in real life, just movies. Quite "Price"less.

It's a short sample size of course, but I'd say Davidson has only made one "cute" pick in his drafting history with Korchinski. The rest of his picks are consensus favorites, which is refreshing. Not saying Korchinski was a bad pick, but he was projected way lower than when Davidson chose him.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wow.....the old adage....sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

Hawks keep getting good breaks...
What's the saying: Rather be lucky than good?
Like others have said, It's very rare for a draft pick to come into the league right after they've been drafted, and even rarer for them to be good.

Compare Kane (who was good) to Dach (who wasn't). Even Toews spent a year in college. Plus, when you get to defensemen and goalies, it takes even longer. Keith was drafted in 2002 and didn't se nhl ice until the 2005-6 season. Crawford was drafted in 2003 and didn't see regular icetime until 2011.

I think Bedard will be one of those who comes in and is good.

As for the rest, they might get their 9 game tryout (less than 10 games means the entry-level contract slides a year, so instead of the 3 years starting at the beginning of this season, it starts in the next season). I can see that happening for Moore and last year's pick Korchinski--let them play against men for a handful of games and sends them back to college or the Jr's.

Hockey also has well-established junior leagues and college leagues.

Development counts for a lot. In most cases, you're drafting for the future, not the here-and-now.
Thrilled with the picks, obviously. Also loved seeing Bettman the coward bring out Poille in the desperate hope that he wouldn't be booed, only to be booed all the more. And Carey Price -- I don't think I've ever seen a person freeze like that in real life, just movies. Quite "Price"less.

It's a short sample size of course, but I'd say Davidson has only made one "cute" pick in his drafting history with Korchinski. The rest of his picks are consensus favorites, which is refreshing. Not saying Korchinski was a bad pick, but he was projected way lower than when Davidson chose him.
I got a feeling Korch may surprise some people. But some may say he was a reach.

As for Price. Rinne fumbled his words as well, just not as bad. Kinda feel bad for both of them, as funny was it was. Kaplan was Leah Hextall/Pierre McGuire bad all night though. That was even more painful.