CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
6a00d8341c60fd53ef0120a9785421970b-800wi

trade castro

#winning

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I think the Cubs can afford Fielder. The question is, do you want Fielder? If the contract is longer than 5-6 years... no. I don't think Fielder is worth more than Adrian Gonzalez (7 years/$154MM... or $22 mil per). However, due to Fielder's conditioning, I don't think you go near 7 years. I'm thinking 5 years at $115MM ($23MM per) with a 6th year option at $25MM maybe... and I think that may even be overspending by quite a bit... and still risking a physical breakdown at 34.

So, with freeing up payroll from ARam($14.6MM this year), Fuki ($13.5MM), Silva ($12MM), Pena ($5MM/$5MM deferred), Grabow($4.8MM)... you mean to tell me you couldn't find a way to give $23MM (or even $25MM) to Fielder and not still have a buttload to hand out to someone like CJ Wilson and give arbitration raises to those that deserve it?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1) Prove it. Please.

2) Yes, it does. Being a big market mean that we have money to spend.

3) You said to include a lot of names. The one time I go along with what you say, you still bitch. Peachy.

As for Kaplan, really? I'm a huge Kaplan hater. Cmon now.

It has been proven. 500 million in debt, will climb by next season. begging for money doesnt help his case.

And being a big market team means nothing when your owners are in debt to their necks. Just because you are in a big market doesnt mean they will spend just because. jesus christ.

Webb, berkman, sizemore for 1 dont make you closer to getting to 500 let alone contending. do you really see berkman repeating his numbers next year? I said give names, not guys that are on the end of their career, or cant pitch, or cant stay off the DL 20 times a season. Im talking about the big fish.

Im happy that you dont like kaplan, but you sure sound like him.

ok, now go to bed, and dream of players you arent getting and how you can spend all this money just because your in a big market, ignoring debt. cant wait until you are talking about 2012/2013 FAs.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
It has been proven. 500 million in debt, will climb by next season. begging for money doesnt help his case.

And being a big market team means nothing when your owners are in debt to their necks. Just because you are in a big market doesnt mean they will spend just because. jesus christ.

Webb, berkman, sizemore for 1 dont make you closer to getting to 500 let alone contending. do you really see berkman repeating his numbers next year? I said give names, not guys that are on the end of their career, or cant pitch, or cant stay off the DL 20 times a season. Im talking about the big fish.

Im happy that you dont like kaplan, but you sure sound like him.

ok, now go to bed, and dream of players you arent getting and how you can spend all this money just because your in a big market, ignoring debt. cant wait until you are talking about 2012/2013 FAs.
<3 you too Dews.

I like Kaplan :troll:

thumb.jpg

Fire NBA Coach of the Year Tom Thibodeau

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

That's not proof. Yes, we are in debt. You saying it will climb is not proving anything. Many teams are in debt. It's not preventing them from spending. Sure, ours is more. But NOTHING they have done leads us to think they won't.

They're businessmen, do you for a minute really think they are going to allow attendance to drop for a 3rd year in a row?

Again, debt doesn't mean much when their actions are otherwise.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's not proof. Yes, we are in debt. You saying it will climb is not proving anything. Many teams are in debt. It's not preventing them from spending. Sure, ours is more. But NOTHING they have done leads us to think they won't.

They're businessmen, do you for a minute really think they are going to allow attendance to drop for a 3rd year in a row?

Again, debt doesn't mean much when their actions are otherwise.

In a multi million dollar business, you take hits intentionally to gain for the future. I run a multi million dollar business(s) and I am sure a multi million x100 business works the same way.

Their actions? what actions? the fucking draft? are you fucking high?

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Then you have Dempster ($13.5MM this year - $14MM player option for next year) and Zambo ($17.875MM this year - $18MM next year) coming off the payroll the following year to make even more moves that might be necessary.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

the debt itself is proof

pretty sure most teams dont have debt on the level the cubs do...we have over 500 mil in debt..worse than the mets

i do agree with the overall point of your post..i've begun to change my thinking that due to the nature of the market...ricketts will spend...especially since it seems he has indicated that is his plan...who he'll spend it on idk

businessmen, do you for a minute really think they are going to allow attendance to drop for a 3rd year in a row?

if they're "businessmen", they wouldnt have let attendance drop in the first place...

, debt doesn't mean much when their actions are otherwise.
i do agree that the cubs will probably end up spending...my concern is how they will spend it and at what quantity

but debt is a very real concern....although in this circumstance you CAN spend with 500 million in debt that doesnt mean it should be disregarded

i still think payroll cuts may come, but im not 100% sure on that either

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
The problem with using the team's debt as evidence to any thing is... if the Cubs' debt was an issue, and there wasn't a realistic plan in place to tackle it over the next few years... the MLB offices would have already begun issuing warnings to the team... as they did with LAD this past off season... and teams like Montreal, Minnesota, KC, Florida, and TB in the recent past.

It's already been stated a few times that the MLB offices are not concerned with the Cubs' debt. They'd be concerned about it and the image of the league before the Cubs would... if recent history has taught us anything on this subject.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In a multi million dollar business, you take hits intentionally to gain for the future. I run a multi million dollar business(s) and I am sure a multi million x100 business works the same way.

Their actions? what actions? the fucking draft? are you fucking high?

If they were in the take hits to gain for the future mode, why would they have signed Pena at all? In fact, you were the one who said they signed Pena just to keep fans in the seats.

These actions:

• Signing Pena vs. letting Colvin/Baker/LaHair man 1B
  • As you mentioned, the draft
  • International signings
  • Eating most of Dome's contract, as opposed to doing a salary dump
  • Eating Lee's contract. See above.
  • Not trading Pena for nothing(salary dump)
  • Eating Silva's contract

the debt itself is proof

pretty sure most teams dont have debt on the level the cubs do...we have over 500 mil in debt..worse than the mets

i do agree with the overall point of your post..i've begun to change my thinking that due to the nature of the market...ricketts will spend...especially since it seems he has indicated that is his plan...who he'll spend it on idk

Our debt is worse than the Mets', yet MLB isn't concerned. Sounds like it's just something being blown out of proportion.

if they're "businessmen", they wouldnt have let attendance drop in the first place...

Not true. What were they supposed to do? Their first year with the team we blew dick. There isn't a lot that they have had control over. However, I would agree that they won't let it get to this point again.

i do agree that the cubs will probably end up spending...my concern is how they will spend it and at what quantity

but debt is a very real concern....although in this circumstance you CAN spend with 500 million in debt that doesnt mean it should be disregarded

i still think payroll cuts may come, but im not 100% sure on that either

I completely agree that they need to be smart about their money, but if it is such a concern, why are their actions not in that of let's save every million we can?

I expect to see a slight payroll decline, but we have so much coming off the books, that's it's not a huge deal.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they were in the take hits to gain for the future mode, why would they have signed Pena at all? In fact, you were the one who said they signed Pena just to keep fans in the seats.

These actions:

• [*]Signing Pena vs. letting Colvin/Baker/LaHair man 1B
    [*]As you mentioned, the draft
    [*]International signings
    [*]Eating most of Dome's contract, as opposed to doing a salary dump
    [*]Eating Lee's contract. See above.
    [*]Not trading Pena for nothing(salary dump)
    [*]Eating Silva's contract

Our debt is worse than the Mets', yet MLB isn't concerned. Sounds like it's just something being blown out of proportion.

Not true. What were they supposed to do? Their first year with the team we blew dick. There isn't a lot that they have had control over. However, I would agree that they won't let it get to this point again.

I completely agree that they need to be smart about their money, but if it is such a concern, why are their actions not in that of let's save every million we can?

I expect to see a slight payroll decline, but we have so much coming off the books, that's it's not a huge deal.

ROFL! That bold is priceless. If you think that the bold means they are fine and are going to spend, you are fucking insane. Tom Ricketts said it himself that he believed this team would contend, that is why he got Pena. If he wasnt having any money issues, the 5 million wouldnt have been deferred. Also, not getting rid of Pena means more than likely he is going to sign with the cubs next season. I bet I am right about that.

The problem with using the team's debt as evidence to any thing is... if the Cubs' debt was an issue, and there wasn't a realistic plan in place to tackle it over the next few years... the MLB offices would have already begun issuing warnings to the team... as they did with LAD this past off season... and teams like Montreal, Minnesota, KC, Florida, and TB in the recent past.

It's already been stated a few times that the MLB offices are not concerned with the Cubs' debt. They'd be concerned about it and the image of the league before the Cubs would... if recent history has taught us anything on this subject.

wow! hide behind the MLB?

First off the MLB will give them a chance to get above water or close and im sure the plan is to give them 5 years. To think that the MLB is going to jump in this early without giving them a chance is just you trying to reassure yourself everything is going to be ok. Its called false hope, and there used to be a lot of sheep that were like that, but now have changed their tune. Be proud that you are one of the few along with CO of false hope, sheep like fan.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
now stop derailing every thread with the same conversation about how the cubs are going to spend. I will make you a stickied thread for your banter.

Status
Not open for further replies.