Official: Draft Signings Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Okay, but why will we see such a decline in payroll? Because we have debt doesn't answer it. Many teams have debt.

Nine of MLB's 30 teams out of debt compliance, report says - ESPN

Well that proves....well....a whole lot of nothing. The phillies debt will go down, and their debt this offseason will be nohere near the cubs. The cubs debt is continuing to rise, that is the main problem. If you believe or are convinced they will spend, again, i told you to keep thinking that and dont let anyone stop you. Just be prepared to look like a fool once again this offseason. and of course another sig.......that is if you are confident.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

It was a question. Answer it. Look at the Cubs' spending in the oversea market, the draft, the way that they paid for contracts to be eaten(dome, lee, silva, etc.) They are not acting like a team in financial disaster at all. Sure they have a lot of debt, but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well that proves....well....a whole lot of nothing. The phillies debt will go down, and their debt this offseason will be nohere near the cubs. The cubs debt is continuing to rise, that is the main problem. If you believe or are convinced they will spend, again, i told you to keep thinking that and dont let anyone stop you. Just be prepared to look like a fool once again this offseason. and of course another sig.......that is if you are confident.

Where do you see this at?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What leads you to believe that we won't be able to spend, though? Just because Dew says so isn't a good answer.

500 million in the hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wrigley is falling apart, they are already trying to factor that in before making huge upgrades to the actual team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are begging for money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These are all facts! facts! 500 million isnt a fake number. get off the fucking kool aid and stop trying to be an apologist. Its ok that your franchise sucks right now and that things are chaotic, you would be more respected if you actually were realistic. I know the cubs are your "favorite team" but at some point out the negatives instead of having this pride complex. jesus christ.

and again................sig bet me! I beg! please.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
kool_aid_man_glass.jpg

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
It was a question. Answer it. Look at the Cubs' spending in the oversea market, the draft, the way that they paid for contracts to be eaten(dome, lee, silva, etc.) They are not acting like a team in financial disaster at all. Sure they have a lot of debt, but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

K, we spent more in one area, but will likely spend much less in another.

Eating contracts means nothing, we were going to have to pay that same amount of money regardless.

BTW, the team itself is a disaster.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
500 million in the hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wrigley is falling apart, they are already trying to factor that in before making huge upgrades to the actual team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are begging for money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These are all facts! facts! 500 million isnt a fake number. get off the fucking kool aid and stop trying to be an apologist. Its ok that your franchise sucks right now and that things are chaotic, you would be more respected if you actually were realistic. I know the cubs are your "favorite team" but at some point out the negatives instead of having this pride complex. jesus christ.

and again................sig bet me! I beg! please.

AND THEY HAVE BEEN SPENDING!!!! FACTS!!!!! FACTS!!!! Plus, it's not like attendance has dropped a huge amount. They are still getting their money. Sure fans aren't spending as much, but it's not a huge difference from last year.

How many times do I have to tell you, I already bet you like 3 months ago.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
AND THEY HAVE BEEN SPENDING!!!! FACTS!!!!! FACTS!!!! Plus, it's not like attendance has dropped a huge amount. They are still getting their money. Sure fans aren't spending as much, but it's not a huge difference from last year.

How many times do I have to tell you, I already bet you like 3 months ago.

I'm a homer like you and still have hope for them signing 1 or 2 big free agents. But the fact is that this management right now is probably not going to do it. I woulod love to have Prince Fielder manning 1st base for the next 7 years or whatever, or maybe pick up a real ace or number 2 pitcher. But right now what this franchise needs is a clean slate. We need to ship off and let all the bad contracts expire. Its the only way. If we were a Prince Fielder away from contending then I wouldn't hesitate to be pissed if we didn't get him. But right now I don't think I'm gonna be to upset if they don't sign someone. I want them to. Because I'm a die hard fan and I want to see them win. I don't like watching my team lose. Ever. I haven't been watching or caring what this team does this season. And I probably won't for a couple years. But in the long run, we need to let the kids grow. I hate the idea of it because, I'm the guy that plays the Show and builds a powerhouse and wins 160 games a season and always wins the world series. It's not like that in real life. If not watching this team succeed for a couple seasons in order to cleanse it of all the shitty money they have on it and let them grow as a team. So be it. I wanna see a team like the Phillies in Chicago. I wanna be able to say that the majority of our team is guys that came out of our system, and then there were the couple guys who came from free agency and trades.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
I'm a homer like you and still have hope for them signing 1 or 2 big free agents. But the fact is that this management right now is probably not going to do it. I woulod love to have Prince Fielder manning 1st base for the next 7 years or whatever, or maybe pick up a real ace or number 2 pitcher. But right now what this franchise needs is a clean slate. We need to ship off and let all the bad contracts expire. Its the only way. If we were a Prince Fielder away from contending then I wouldn't hesitate to be pissed if we didn't get him. But right now I don't think I'm gonna be to upset if they don't sign someone. I want them to. Because I'm a die hard fan and I want to see them win. I don't like watching my team lose. Ever. I haven't been watching or caring what this team does this season. And I probably won't for a couple years. But in the long run, we need to let the kids grow. I hate the idea of it because, I'm the guy that plays the Show and builds a powerhouse and wins 160 games a season and always wins the world series. It's not like that in real life. If not watching this team succeed for a couple seasons in order to cleanse it of all the shitty money they have on it and let them grow as a team. So be it. I wanna see a team like the Phillies in Chicago. I wanna be able to say that the majority of our team is guys that came out of our system, and then there were the couple guys who came from free agency and trades.

I agree I have been wanting a complete rebuild for awhile now. Honestly if I was the Ricketts I would invest heavily into the draft like at least 20m per year and take the best players. I would try to get rid of all the old guys like Fonso or let them expire and then in 2-3 years I would have a great farm system and money to spend in free agency and likely a halfway decent team if Jackson Castro and the other kiddies develop. That is the way almost all good franchises are built look at the Braves for example. Plus then we can go out and get the impact players via trade (with the great farm system) or via free agency. I don't want us to build on old free agents that we have to way over pay Fukudome or Fonso for example. Being able to control your own player for 6 years before free agency is huge and is something we hardly ever do. It is a great money management tool. But I am a little biased on player development IMO you need a great farm system to have the flexibility at the major league level something the Cubs have never really had.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I am starting to agree that yeah, next year should be more of a developmental year, because the FA pitching class in 2013 is gawdy. However, Fielder is a necessity this off season. We have nothing at 1B in the system and the FA market the next couple years sans Fielder and Pujols sucks. If we pass on Fielder, this organization will regret it for years to come. The worst part will be that we can afford it, too. Especially if we get out of even half of Z's contract.

I disagree that this organization needs a clean slate. We're a big market team, there's no reason that we need to have a clean slate.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
According to this article, Maples is expected to report to Arizona for fall instructional league in September. Time to start fixing those mechanics.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I am starting to agree that yeah, next year should be more of a developmental year, because the FA pitching class in 2013 is gawdy. However, Fielder is a necessity this off season. We have nothing at 1B in the system and the FA market the next couple years sans Fielder and Pujols sucks. If we pass on Fielder, this organization will regret it for years to come. The worst part will be that we can afford it, too. Especially if we get out of even half of Z's contract.

I disagree that this organization needs a clean slate. We're a big market team, there's no reason that we need to have a clean slate.

As a big market team there shouldn't ever be a time we need a clean state, but in this case there is.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
am i the only one that doesnt understand why spending 12 million on prospects to build from within is such a bad thing?

if it isnt so much money as dews said(but its actually an increased investment from before), then why does it matter?

frankly building the foundation like this is a smart thing ricketts has done/is doing for once

you can argue all this shit about being a big market and not having to rebuild ever...thats a myth..if we were a big market,had competent personnel,AND had recent success of a boston or NYY..then maybe a clean slate would be inexcusable

i do agree that the cubs are in a little of a hole financially, but it wont stop ricketts from spending

frankly,though,im not sure what rickett's aims are to fix the franchise debt, didnt he also take some tax money to use for stadium renovation?\

i hope we do get a FA or two since it seems that ricketts will spend(not 100% sure yet..but i did read an article a while back that said that was his plan..but things can change)

but i also hope we make some wise moves and dont overpay for a player that wont be a long term beneficial investment

we'll just see i guess

Last edited:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone thinks that it is a bad thing that Cubs are investing in the draft. The question is do you have to trade away anything and everything of value on the current major league roster to do a complete rebuild like the Royals or Pirates or can you maintain a good payroll and acquire guys that fill needs that your system can't fill. I think the Cubs can do both, and that is the route I am hoping they take.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

1) no you cannot afford fielder. That is a fact.

2) Being a big market has nothing to do with a clean slate, zero...nadda.

3) your PM with the list of players, cmon now....Webb, berkman,kubel,sizemore etc arent going to be "big" money contracts.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
also, you arent getting anything like "half" off zambranos contract. stop watching david kaplan please.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think not getting Prince Fielder is a fact per se, but I also don't think that it's likely. The Cubs not only have to throw a ton of $ at Fielder but at other free agents to convince Fielder that it's worth his while.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1) no you cannot afford fielder. That is a fact.

2) Being a big market has nothing to do with a clean slate, zero...nadda.

3) your PM with the list of players, cmon now....Webb, berkman,kubel,sizemore etc arent going to be "big" money contracts.

1) Prove it. Please.

2) Yes, it does. Being a big market mean that we have money to spend.

3) You said to include a lot of names. The one time I go along with what you say, you still bitch. Peachy.

As for Kaplan, really? I'm a huge Kaplan hater. Cmon now.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone thinks that it is a bad thing that Cubs are investing in the draft. The question is do you have to trade away anything and everything of value on the current major league roster to do a complete rebuild like the Royals or Pirates or can you maintain a good payroll and acquire guys that fill needs that your system can't fill. I think the Cubs can do both, and that is the route I am hoping they take.

frankly i am hoping for some moderation

and it seems like by rickett's spending he's doing that

i still wonder,though, what the plan is to deal with the cubs debt?

Status
Not open for further replies.