Official Epstein Thread (Epstein baseball side prez/Hoyer is GM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, they are hiring him to be team president despite the fact that his experience (and perceivably only worth) is as a GM. Then they are bringing in another GM, a "wiz kid" who in his limited time in San Diego didn't see a noted improvement in the farm system, was stupidly unable to trade Heath Bell, and gave away a superstar Adrian Gonzalez to the Red Sox for absolutely nothing. Obviously, we'll see how it turns out, but if I were a Cubs fan I wouldn't exactly be jumping for joy over this?

So because Theo, a top 5 GM in the game easily, doesn't have experience as a president, we shouldn't hire him? How many teams hire presidents that have had experience? I'm curious. I really am.

He didn't trade Bell because he couldn't get anything for him. By that I mean that the draft picks he will get from Bell are more valuable.

Gonzo for nothing? Umm.... okay. You obviously missed something.

Good thing you're not a Cubs fan.

Shawon_Dunston

Liked Posts:
Then they are bringing in another GM, a "wiz kid" who in his limited time in San Diego didn't see a noted improvement in the farm system, was stupidly unable to trade Heath Bell, and gave away a superstar Adrian Gonzalez to the Red Sox for absolutely nothing. Obviously, we'll see how it turns out, but if I were a Cubs fan I wouldn't exactly be jumping for joy over this?

Baseball America had San Diego with the 8th best farm system coming into the year and they had a good draft as well. And they got a big haul for Agon as well.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
So because Theo, a top 5 GM in the game easily, doesn't have experience as a president, we shouldn't hire him?

No, just hire him to be the GM.

He didn't trade Bell because he couldn't get anything for him. By that I mean that the draft picks he will get from Bell are more valuable.

Not sure if serious.

Gonzo for nothing? Umm.... okay. You obviously missed something.

They've put up pretty good numbers, but nothing that made them that highly regarded. SD could have gotten a better package.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
@GordonEdes
Gordon Edes It's done, according to source: Hoyer to join Theo as GM of Cubs, Byrnes new GM in SD

Comp done? or that Hoyer to join Theo done?

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
:confused:

WBZ-FM just was told by KNBR that they have heard Ricketts has contacted Oakland to speak to Beane.

Shawon_Dunston

Liked Posts:
They've put up pretty good numbers, but nothing that made them that highly regarded. SD could have gotten a better package.

They got 2 top 20 prospects and another player who was drafted in the 1st round. How is that nothing?

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
@Buster_ESPN
Buster Olney Re:Hoyer headed to CHC. When your owners willing to let you walk away from their top job for basically nothing, it's a good time to leave.

Hoyer GM in Chicago for sure

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gammons on MLB NETWORK just said BOS will get couple of LOW A ball players. Nothing big

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stop editing the damn title when it's not a done deal.

Jesus christ.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, just hire him to be the GM.

What's wrong with him being the President? He is more than qualified. Plus, it allows us to get more executives into place.

Not sure if serious.

I am serious. What don't you get?

Perhaps. But they also had to get rid of Gonzo and they got a very nice package for him.
Gammons on MLB NETWORK just said BOS will get couple of LOW A ball players. Nothing big

I heard Chris Carpenter and Flaherty. Either way, I'm cool with it.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Too many egos making decisions.

Ultimately Theo has the final say. I think these guys understand that. Having young, bright minds in surplus is certainly not a bad thing. I think that they all understand their roles.

Shawon_Dunston

Liked Posts:
Ultimately Theo has the final say. I think these guys understand that. Having young, bright minds in surplus is certainly not a bad thing. I think that they all understand their roles.

Plus they all have history and good rapport together. Not worried about them butting heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.