***OFFICIAL*** Is Jordan Howards regressing? IGT thread

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Jordan Howard

We all love him

We all don't love Kyle Long, but I digress...

This is a subject most of you wont want to discuss (hey, CCS stuffs).

Jordan Howard is on pace for 256 rush attempts for 812 rushing yard with just 4 TDs.. One mantra i see pushed around here quite often is "he's not being fed the ball by Nagy" but that's simply not true.. He's on pace for 4 more carries than 2016. Just 20 less carries than last year. Simply put: he's been underwhelming through 4 games. So who're you blaming? Still Nagy, because derp? O-line, because trashboats? Howard, because he suddenly forgot how to run with a ball?

Positive: He's on pace to finish with 40 receptions, which would easily be his best season yet in that regard. He is improving as a pass catcher - that is for certain.

Reminder: He's on pace for literally the 2nd most touches he's seen in his career.. By 3 touches.

Genuinely interested in opinions here. Let's bye week it up

Last edited:

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
The explanation for the "Howard Paradox" of how he has been getting as many touches as ever statistically but feeling much less the focal point of the offense is actually quite simple.

For one, saying he on pace to have the second most touches of any season he has played is a misleading distinction because Howard has only played in two seasons before this one and as a rookie he didn't start right away.

BUT the real reason you would not guess Howard's usage has overall remained steady is because Bears drives are lasting more than one or two series now so the total number of plays being run by the offense is way up. Howard is just accounting for a lesser percentage of the offense, but his contribution to the offense have been way more effective since he taught himself to catch. He is probably better than he has ever been and the offense is doing better as a result. Also, he is a bit of a mudder so when the weather gets nasty expect these stats to pick up a bit.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
For one, saying he on pace to have the second most touches of any season he has played is a misleading distinction because Howard has only played in two seasons before this one and as a rookie he didn't start right away.

It's not misleading. He's on pace for 3 less total touches than last season, a season in which he was the "focal point" (can there be a "focal point" of a 5 win team?). That's a fact.

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Ok now finish reading the rest of my post.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Ok now finish reading the rest of my post.

I agreed with the rest, that's why I "thanked" it.

I quoted the part I took issue with.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The new blocking scheme doesnt seem to fit Howard's running style. That seems to be the current issue more than anything. I dont think HH is going to change the system for Howard, so Howard is going to have to adapt.

JordanHoward24

Liked Posts:
Here’s my two takes

1. If the pass game can be half as good as it was last week, Howard should benefit from less stacked boxes.

2. Nagy is calling too many runs that don’t fit Howard’s strengths. Too many runs that have him going east and west when he should be going full steam ahead on every single run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I think the bears look to replace Howard with a more explosive back in the next draft or the following one.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube_share;ZZwii-qhi-c]https://youtu.be/ZZwii-qhi-c[/video]

Hey look, CCS would rather post videos and make countless threads about god knows what instead of discuss football!

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The new blocking scheme doesnt seem to fit Howard's running style. That seems to be the current issue more than anything. I dont think HH is going to change the system for Howard, so Howard is going to have to adapt.

Can you break down in detail why you think this? What is different about this blocking scheme as opposed to the previous one that makes it more difficult for Howard to find head room?

Not disagreeing with you, just looking for a less vague opinion

Last edited:

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think the bears look to replace Howard with a more explosive back in the next draft or the following one.

Unfortunately, I agree. As much as I like Howard, RBs are really a dime a dozen. Plenty of good ones coming out of college that will fit this offense better. I still think Howard is a good talent though and isn't regressing.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Looks like Novak found a new project

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jordan Howard

We all love him

We all don't love Kyle Long, but I digress...

This is a subject most of you want want to discuss (hey, CCS stuffs). Jordan Howard is on pace for 256 rush attempts for 812 rushing yard with just 4 TDs.. One mantra i see pushed around here quite often is "he's not being fed the ball by Nagy" but that's simply not true.. He's on pace for 4 more carries than 2016. Just 20 less carries than last year. Simply put: he's been underwhelming through 4 games. So who're you blaming? Still Nagy, because derp? O-line, because trashboats? Howard, because he suddenly forgot how to run with a ball?

Positive: He's on pace to finish with 40 receptions, which would easily be his best season yet in that regard. He is improving as a pass catcher - that is for certain.

Reminder: He's on pace for literally the 2nd most touches he's seen in his career.. By 3 touches.

Genuinely interested in opinions here. Let's bye week it up

Interesting read. I’m a Howard fan and hope he does get on track. Bears d need to open things up more and stretch the field and then feed the Beast. He has been better in receiving situations so let’s not get too down on him. Bears run blocking has been much worse this year, it was the lines strong point in the past couple of years. I blame Long for bringing down the rest of the line.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Remember when this board was basically 100% complete and total Kyle Long homers? And then Novak went to work, relying mostly on social media posts, and completely changed the perception on Long around here? I mean, this is probably the only corner of the Baers fanbase that isn't still in full on Kyle Long homer mode. Impressive, really.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I was a sociology professor, I would probably use this board as my study system and unleash my grad students to run experiments on here. I think it would be fascinating work.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
If I was a sociology professor, I would probably use this board as my study system and unleash my grad students to run experiments on here. I think it would be fascinating work.

Are you trying to de-rail every thread you enter or ... ?

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Of course they are not paying Howard. If this off-season they are offered a top 100 draft pick for him they should probably take it.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm afraid this is a bogus Novaks thread. Line has been miserable on runs between the tackles. Howard getting hit behind the line way more than in the past.

He'll be fine. His long term future with the team may be in question, but his skills aren't.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Hey look, CCS would rather post videos and make countless threads about god knows what instead of discuss football!

You dont like the Vikings statue?

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Remember when this board was basically 100% complete and total Kyle Long homers? And then Novak went to work, relying mostly on social media posts, and completely changed the perception on Long around here? I mean, this is probably the only corner of the Baers fanbase that isn't still in full on Kyle Long homer mode. Impressive, really.

Uh, no.