Official JOEL IYIEGBUNIWE Thread

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Holy cow. If you count Y as a vowel, that is 4 in a row to begin his last name. I hate the pick for that reason alone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
“Upside for Bears fourth-round pick Joel Iyiegbuniwe? ‘His best football is in front of him’

By Colleen Kane

Joel Iyiegbuniwe was surprised to hear the Bears picked him in the fourth round of the NFL draft on April 28 because he hadn’t had much contact with the organization in the weeks leading up to the event.

He wasn’t the only one.

The Bears entered the draft in need of edge rushers on defense, but they took players they plan to use at inside linebacker with two of their first four picks — Iyiegbuniwe and Roquan Smith at No. 8 in the first round. General manager Ryan Pace said the Bears’ scouts and coaches connected on their grades and vision for the player nicknamed “Iggy,” and Pace was excited about what he has seen on film.

“Physical, fast, athletic, highly intelligent player,” Pace said. “When you turn on the tape, it just jumps out, the way he plays, just a real physical, downhill style.”

The 6-foot-1, 229-pound Iyiegbuniwe had 117 tackles, including 11½ for loss, and was named first-team All-Conference USA as a junior.

The Tribune recently spoke with Western Kentucky linebackers coach Maurice Crum Jr., a former Notre Dame linebacker, about what the Bears can expect from Iyiegbuniwe. Here are highlights from the interview.

How would you describe Joel as a player?

The first trait that comes to mind is hard-working. He just worked hard to do everything the right way and is just a phenomenal human being.

What are his strengths on the field?

His ability to process information. He does a phenomenal job. You can just tell him something one time, and he’s able to retain the information in addition to applying techniques you taught him. It goes back to working hard at everything you ask him to do. He works to get it done, and he gets it done.

You coached him just this last season at Western Kentucky, but in what ways did you see him grow in that time?

I saw tremendous growth. He had never played inside linebacker before. So from the first spring practice all the way to the last game of the season, he’s a completely different player. We saw him get better every game, every rep, every practice. He has grown tremendously. That’s what I was telling all the guys when they were asking about him. I think his best football is in front of him.

The Bears have said they want to keep him at inside linebacker. Why is that a good fit for him?

Because of his ability to run it’s going to be hard for a lot of people to beat him to the sideline, but he’s big enough and strong enough to where he can go up in there and take on guards and tackles and be physical on the inside. You want him close so he can stay around the football.

When Ryan Pace was talking about Joel, he said he saw so many big plays on film that he wanted to call in Matt Nagy to watch. Do you recall any moments like that?

The one that stands out in my mind is our FAU game. He made a tackle in the hole, and they had a pretty big running back, so it was two big guys — force meeting force — and when they made contact in the hole, the paint chips speckled in the air, they flew out from the helmet. I watch the game from upstairs. I saw the paint chips fly off the helmets from the contact, I was like, ‘Whoa.’ That was the first time I had ever seen that.

What challenges do you see ahead for him in his transition to the NFL?

It’s just going to be continued growth. Again, he has only played inside linebacker for one year, so I think he has to continue to grow and see teams. That’s what he has in front of him. He’ll work his tail off to get it, and I know he’ll get it.

How do you think he’ll be able to contribute on special teams as he gets his feet wet in the NFL?

Personally, I think he’s going to make an instant impact on special teams. He was on our punt team for basically all four years. He was assignment-sound, and his ability to run, tackle and play in space will show up a great deal in special teams. We used him on kickoff. He didn’t have a ton of reps, but when he was in there he either had the production or he helped someone else with the production on a tackle or a play. He’ll make an immediate impact there just with his size and ability to run.

How would you describe his personality?

The best way to explain it is if I had a daughter, that’s who I’d want her to marry. He’s that perfect guy. He’s polite, bright, just an awesome person. He’s fun to be around, good personality, smart, good background. He checks all the boxes.

When we talked with him Saturday, he mentioned how he hopes to one day go to medical school and be a pediatrician. What do you think those goals say about him?

That’s just who he is. From what I know about him … there’s nothing the kid can’t get done. If he has his mind made up to get it done, he’s the one person I know for sure that you can bank on it getting done. I think he’ll do it. He’s smart and manages his time well. He’s not a big-time party guy or that kind of stuff. He uses his time to study and work on football. He’ll find a way to make it happen. That much I know.

ckane@chicagotribune.com

Twitter @ChiTribKane”

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-joel-iyiegbuniwe-coach-western-kentucky-20180502-story.html

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
High character, smart, athlete, sounds like a Pace kid. Let's see what happens.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
1. Interesting. I'd like to see him try that, if only because having an ILB/OLB crossover on the field can help disguise the play.

2. I don't see him being cut outright. Even if he is a Fox player, he did really well for Fangio, and I don't remember seeing anything about him switching up his defensive strategy. Now if he isn't resigned after the contract is up, I'd not be totally shocked. He has an injury history and this team seems to be obsessed about getting younger wherever they can.

How many years are left on DTs contract?

Not this year but Trevathan is an easy cut next year. We save $6m. You don't want 2 rooks in the middle anyway. Pace is drafting for a sustainable roster and even though this draft looks to be about plug and play for this season, once you're into round 4 you don't expect them to.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
A fourth rounder is just high enough that if he shows any ability at all on STs he will make the 53 man roster.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Pace seemed to place a high importance on guys who live and breathe football, and who work hard. The only one who doesn't have some serious success under his belt at the college level is Fitts due to the injuries. It'll be a lot of fun watching these kids grow up here. By the sound of it, there's nothing not to like about Iyiegbuniwe for far.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Ex-Coach Makes Shocking Revelation About Joel Iyiegbuniwe

Chicago Bears fourth round pick Joel Iyiegbuniwe is quite a story. His dream is to become a doctor once his football career is over. He also might be the most controversial draft pick the team made in 2018. Not so much due to his talent but more due to the fact nobody knew who he was and he was taken at a position the Bears had already addressed in the first round.

People don’t like two things. They don’t like mysteries and they don’t like not getting their way. Bears fans had their hearts set on an edge rusher when the team went on the clock in the fourth round. When Iyiegbuniwe had his name announced there was a mix of confusion and rage. This before people bothered to learn about the player they got.

Rich Campbell of the Chicago Tribune intended to correct that problem. In doing so he got a chance to talk with Iyiegbuniwe’s position coach at Western Kentucky, Maurice Crum Jr. They talked about several topics: who “Iggy” is as a person, his future prospects, how he can help the team on specials and so on. It was then over the course of the conversation that Crum drop a surprising bombshell.

2017 was the first time Joel Iyiegbuniwe ever played inside linebacker
“IT’S JUST GOING TO BE CONTINUED GROWTH. AGAIN, HE HAS ONLY PLAYED INSIDE LINEBACKER FOR ONE YEAR, SO I THINK HE HAS TO CONTINUE TO GROW AND SEE TEAMS. THAT’S WHAT HE HAS IN FRONT OF HIM. HE’LL WORK HIS TAIL OFF TO GET IT, AND I KNOW HE’LL GET IT.”

That’s right. The Bears took the kid in the fourth round, over all the edge rush possibilities despite having just one year of experience at inside linebacker. Was his initial impression that effective? One merely has to look at the stats. In 2016, as an outside linebacker, he had 64 tackles. Last year once moved to the inside he had 117. Crum explained how he became so effective with that shift.

“BECAUSE OF HIS ABILITY TO RUN IT’S GOING TO BE HARD FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE TO BEAT HIM TO THE SIDELINE, BUT HE’S BIG ENOUGH AND STRONG ENOUGH TO WHERE HE CAN GO UP IN THERE AND TAKE ON GUARDS AND TACKLES AND BE PHYSICAL ON THE INSIDE. YOU WANT HIM CLOSE SO HE CAN STAY AROUND THE FOOTBALL.”

This is backed up by the tape. Iyiegbuniwe just seems to have a natural gift for the position. If he was able to be that productive in his first year ever playing it? Just imagine what he might be able to do once he starts adding experience.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
David Diehl
David Diehl
@davediehl66
He’s a very athletic LB who’s probably best fitted to play WLB in Fangio’s 3-4. He’s got to play better against the run shedding & slipping blocks @ POA but big upside w/ speed to cover, contribute immediately on ST & they’ll find ways for him to attack QB.

WalkinShoesON
@WalkinShoesON
@davediehl66 I know you did color on the WKU Vs. Middle Tennessee last year. Any thoughts on Joel Iyiegbuniwe to the Bears?

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
“Upside for Bears fourth-round pick Joel Iyiegbuniwe? ‘His best football is in front of him’

By Colleen Kane

Joel Iyiegbuniwe was surprised to hear the Bears picked him in the fourth round of the NFL draft on April 28 because he hadn’t had much contact with the organization in the weeks leading up to the event.

He wasn’t the only one.

The Bears entered the draft in need of edge rushers on defense, but they took players they plan to use at inside linebacker with two of their first four picks — Iyiegbuniwe and Roquan Smith at No. 8 in the first round. General manager Ryan Pace said the Bears’ scouts and coaches connected on their grades and vision for the player nicknamed “Iggy,” and Pace was excited about what he has seen on film.

“Physical, fast, athletic, highly intelligent player,” Pace said. “When you turn on the tape, it just jumps out, the way he plays, just a real physical, downhill style.”

The 6-foot-1, 229-pound Iyiegbuniwe had 117 tackles, including 11½ for loss, and was named first-team All-Conference USA as a junior.

The Tribune recently spoke with Western Kentucky linebackers coach Maurice Crum Jr., a former Notre Dame linebacker, about what the Bears can expect from Iyiegbuniwe. Here are highlights from the interview.

How would you describe Joel as a player?

The first trait that comes to mind is hard-working. He just worked hard to do everything the right way and is just a phenomenal human being.

What are his strengths on the field?

His ability to process information. He does a phenomenal job. You can just tell him something one time, and he’s able to retain the information in addition to applying techniques you taught him. It goes back to working hard at everything you ask him to do. He works to get it done, and he gets it done.

You coached him just this last season at Western Kentucky, but in what ways did you see him grow in that time?

I saw tremendous growth. He had never played inside linebacker before. So from the first spring practice all the way to the last game of the season, he’s a completely different player. We saw him get better every game, every rep, every practice. He has grown tremendously. That’s what I was telling all the guys when they were asking about him. I think his best football is in front of him.

The Bears have said they want to keep him at inside linebacker. Why is that a good fit for him?

Because of his ability to run it’s going to be hard for a lot of people to beat him to the sideline, but he’s big enough and strong enough to where he can go up in there and take on guards and tackles and be physical on the inside. You want him close so he can stay around the football.

When Ryan Pace was talking about Joel, he said he saw so many big plays on film that he wanted to call in Matt Nagy to watch. Do you recall any moments like that?

It’s just going to be continued growth. Again, he has only played inside linebacker for one year, so I think he has to continue to grow and see teams. That’s what he has in front of him. He’ll work his tail off to get it, and I know he’ll get it.

...We used him on kickoff. He didn’t have a ton of reps, but when he was in there he either had the production or he helped someone else with the production on a tackle or a play. He’ll make an immediate impact there just with his size and ability to run.

How would you describe his personality?

The best way to explain it is if I had a daughter, that’s who I’d want her to marry. He’s that perfect guy. He’s polite, bright, just an awesome person. He’s fun to be around, good personality, smart, good background. He checks all the boxes.

When we talked with him Saturday, he mentioned how he hopes to one day go to medical school and be a pediatrician. What do you think those goals say about him?

That’s just who he is. From what I know about him … there’s nothing the kid can’t get done. If he has his mind made up to get it done, he’s the one person I know for sure that you can bank on it getting done. I think he’ll do it. He’s smart and manages his time well. He’s not a big-time party guy or that kind of stuff. He uses his time to study and work on football. He’ll find a way to make it happen. That much I know.

ckane@chicagotribune.com

Twitter @ChiTribKane”

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-joel-iyiegbuniwe-coach-western-kentucky-20180502-story.html

Pretty high praise.

I didn't know he's only been an ILB for 1 year! Cool for Pace & Nagy to see the potential and get a high motor/intellegence athlete off most GMs' radars. Possibly a reach in 4th, but not if he pans out. Seems to be a raw, but moderate to high ceiling with usable solid floor. Even a long term ST star is worth a 4th.

Love the other comments too.

Can't have a better compliment than to say he's the guy you'd want to marry your daughter. Good lord. I've never heard that said about a prospect.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Means he can also still play outside but I suspect he stays inside and K moves outside.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I guess Dez couldn’t inform CCS that Iggy is “massive” in this existing thread.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
You can find it in the draft thread, but I said he was the steal of the draft.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like Trevaithon, but he was for sure Fox’s guy. I wonder how long he can keep Iggy off the field, but no doubt both Iggy and Smith will benifit learning from Danny for a year or two. Good veteran transfer of mantle and he picks up a third contract with Raiders or something.