Official JOEL IYIEGBUNIWE Thread

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Interesting. He's not exactly a great fit at ILB for Fangio. More of an old school down hill player. Weak in coverage and not much range outside of the hashes.

quick guy that can cover......covering TEs and RBs is going to be important

God damnit, so can he cover or can't he?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Trevathan is injured quite a bit. Athletic insurance...

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Let's us keep our corners focused on covering ? We need OLB...

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
Ill add that Fangio likes fast linebackers in a loose kind of coverage behind the line. I think this guy fits that and would free up Floyd to rush the passer more and not be so active in coverage of receivers.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Fangio likes a hybrid S/LB (Jack) in his Nickel defense and this guy could fill that role. Hits pretty hard too.

[video=youtube;q_q5fBsfX6A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_q5fBsfX6A[/video]

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
If the Bears were a 4-3 team, I'd love this pick. But they are not. Trevathan isn't going anywhere this year. But could be gone after 2018 before the last year of his deal. Not sure why Kwiatkoski seemingly isn't getting a shot to be the 3rd ILB this year and a chance to start next year. I mean, he still could go that route, but he's gotta be sweating after the last couple days. A clear 3 on the depth chart now, with a new toy and potential threat to his roster spot drafted.

Don't hate the player. Don't love the pick though. Not even based on who is on the board either. I just don't think this was a need or the best player on the board.
ditto those thoughts...

I guess Fangio isn't impressed with Kwiatkoski; whereas I saw him an up-in-coming starter.

I wanted an EDGE prospect here.

Didn’t see us double dipping at ILB and I know nothing about this guy.

The ILBs have been put on blast.
I read he's an excellent LB, does it all, so good in coverage may warrant passing package, strips a lot of balls (3 FF 2017), productive ST tacker.

Maybe this is primarily a ST pick, or strong BPA?​

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
Interesting Tweet from Adam Jahns

#Bears' selection of LB Joel Iyiegbuniwe seems to have everyone thinking. Here are two from me:

1. Nick Kwiatkoski could get a look at OLB. He's been disruptive with blitzes. Played outside in college some, too.

2. Are Danny Trevathan's days numbered? He was a John Fox signing.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Looks like he got unbound and ungagged and is up to his old tricks.
Yeah really.
tenor.gif

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I love that he's putting so much into this position. I've thought it a pressing need as Trevathan can't be relied upon for 16 games and there's nothing else there. NK and Timu are depth guys ideally. Strengthening the second level is great for this defense.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
God damnit, so can he cover or can't he?

lol he can cover...primarily man to man on some guys...but mostly a special teamer

• Rangy, athletic frame
  • Plays with good speed in pursuit
  • Shows early burst in his scrapes to play past climbing blockers
  • Actively searches to strip the football and create opportunities to flip the momentum
  • Finished 2017 with three forced fumbles
  • Very smooth in his backpedal and when driving into space
  • Has athletic ability to warrant consideration as a cover linebacker in subpackages
  • Special teams talent to cover
  • Finished career with 11 tackles on special teams

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Interesting Tweet from Adam Jahns

#Bears' selection of LB Joel Iyiegbuniwe seems to have everyone thinking. Here are two from me:

1. Nick Kwiatkoski could get a look at OLB. He's been disruptive with blitzes. Played outside in college some, too.

2. Are Danny Trevathan's days numbered? He was a John Fox signing.

1. Interesting. I'd like to see him try that, if only because having an ILB/OLB crossover on the field can help disguise the play.

2. I don't see him being cut outright. Even if he is a Fox player, he did really well for Fangio, and I don't remember seeing anything about him switching up his defensive strategy. Now if he isn't resigned after the contract is up, I'd not be totally shocked. He has an injury history and this team seems to be obsessed about getting younger wherever they can.

How many years are left on DTs contract?

Hotwheelz24

They See Me Rollin'
Liked Posts:
This guy is going to be a beast on ST, that sounds like good value for a 4th round pick to me. I'm thinking that since he had a similar play style to Smith, that he's going to back him up there while Kwit is the backup for Trevathan.

Yeah my guess is this was mostly a special teams addition while also utilizing him as a decent backup at ILB. Pace can find some gems in the later rounds, I wouldn't be shocked if this guy becomes a stand-out on ST at least.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Basically, we drafted Griffin, but with an extra hand....

napo55

Liked Posts:
Here's an argument for this guy. He is an undiscovered gem from a small school who would have been rated much higher if he had played at a higher profile school. In later rounds, the trick is to find hidden value.

I don't necessarily believe it, but that's the thinking.