Status
Not open for further replies.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The future is bright.

I've got to wear shades.

No complaints about this deal. They had the money and this guy was highly touted. Might as well give it a shot.

Will move this thread to the main forum when deal is officially official.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
X, Castro > Theo :yeah:

2. Why does Jed Hoyer never get ANY credit?

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Glad to hear this! Like everybody else, I don't know who will be better between Cespedes and Soler but based on age alone, I prefer this move.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
At the end of the day, signing Soler makes us a top 10 Farm System. How long has it been since we've been a top 10 Farm system? We've got Soler, Rizzo, Jackson, Baez, and several others that actually appear to be in the MLB Cubs future.

Theo has earned even more respect, imo, after about 3 months on the job.

Uhh, pump the brakes there.

It really doesn't/wouldn't IMO.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Uhh, pump the brakes there.

It really doesn't/wouldn't IMO.

Agree. Soler would be a welcomed addition, but our farm system still lacks depth, especially when it comes to pitching. While I'm excited about Jackson, Baez and Rizzo, I'm not sold on any of them becoming superstars. Solid everyday players? Absolutely. Those three, along with Castro, make a nice nucleus, but I don't see any of them truly being guys you can build a franchise around.

Depending how well we draft this year, I think we could definitely make a push towards a top 10 farm system, but let's be honest -- we simply don't have the depth teams like Tampa, Kansas City and Toronto have. On top of that, those teams also have guys with huge ceilings, as well as guys who can come in this year and make immediate impacts. Could Jackson come in sometime this year and perform well? Maybe. I just don't see him coming in and blowing everyone away. He still struggled last year making contact in AAA (64Ks in 215 ABs) and saying he'll have 25HR power is pushing it. Hopefully he can improve our outfield defensively and become a threat on the basepaths.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agree. Soler would be a welcomed addition, but our farm system still lacks depth, especially when it comes to pitching. While I'm excited about Jackson, Baez and Rizzo, I'm not sold on any of them becoming superstars. Solid everyday players? Absolutely. Those three, along with Castro, make a nice nucleus, but I don't see any of them truly being guys you can build a franchise around.

Depending how well we draft this year, I think we could definitely make a push towards a top 10 farm system, but let's be honest -- we simply don't have the depth teams like Tampa, Kansas City and Toronto have. On top of that, those teams also have guys with huge ceilings, as well as guys who can come in this year and make immediate impacts. Could Jackson come in sometime this year and perform well? Maybe. I just don't see him coming in and blowing everyone away. He still struggled last year making contact in AAA (64Ks in 215 ABs) and saying he'll have 25HR power is pushing it. Hopefully he can improve our outfield defensively and become a threat on the basepaths.

Depth is one issue the Cubs system does not have. The problem is that we don't have many high end prospects, but we have lots and lots of guys that are interesting. In a recent chat, Jim Callis said that the Cubs might have the best prospects in the 31-50 range of an organization. Depth isn't the issue. Guys that project to be impact players is.

Everything else you stated though is spot on with your assessment of where the Cubs system ranks.

Last edited:

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Depth is one issue the Cubs system does not have. The problem is that we don't have many high end prospects, but we have lots and lots of guys that are interesting. In a recent chat, Jim Callis said that the Cubs might have the best prospects in the 31-50 range of an organization. Depth isn't the issue. Guys that project to be impact player is.

Everything else you stated though is spot on with your assessment of where the Cubs system ranks.

I should've clarified -- lack of quality depth. Baez, Rizzo and Jackson are all solid prospects, but not what I'd consider Grade A prospects.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I should've clarified -- lack of quality depth. Baez, Rizzo and Jackson are all solid prospects, but not what I'd consider Grade A prospects.

One can argue about the various rankings of the Cubs top prospects, but I agree that the Cubs top prospects don't stack up with the top farm systems currently. Adding Soler would improving that situation, but there would still be a sizeable gap between what the Cubs have at the top compared to what those systems have.

Pepe Silvia

Where's my mail?
Liked Posts:
I agree to an extent, but I think with the addition of Soler, we have some pretty good position prospects in the system. The pitching is what is pretty crappy, but Concepcion and Maples could change that. And I think we might have a pretty pitching-oriented draft this year.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree to an extent, but I think with the addition of Soler, we have some pretty good position prospects in the system. The pitching is what is pretty crappy, but Concepcion and Maples could change that. And I think we might have a pretty pitching-oriented draft this year.

Again it depends on what we are talking about. The Cubs don't have anyone that really profiles as a top of the rotation starter in the upper minors. There are a number of interesting guys that could be middle of the rotation or back end starters though. Concepcion really doesn't change that since most seem to rate his stuff out in the same range as what the system has in McNutt, Struck, Rhee, etc. Maples will be interesting to watch and a few of the other arms the Cubs have in the lower levels because there is the possibility of a few gems coming out of that group.

It will be very interesting to see how the draft plays out with the new restrictions effectively altering the strategy of drafting.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Usually they are given a B+.

BTW, Goldstein has Soler in at #20 on the all-team prospect list.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Concepcion is ranked our 19th best prospect by Goldstein - nothing really special.

Mitch8B

Liked Posts:
According to sites I have read, Soler has greater upside than Cespedes. 5 tool player with power .

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars