Official Jorge Soler Watch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
They seem to have put all of there attention to Soler and I think they will do all they can to sign him. Of all the teams interested, the Cubs seem to be in the most need for him and fits their future the best. The Cubs will offer close to 30 million and I think that'll be the best. The Cubs will offer the fastest trade to the majors than the other teams... (if he does in fact produces). Because Soriano, Byrd, and Dejesues will not be on contract. The Cubs will have Jackson too.

It's more of a hunch, but it's better to be positive than not... I have faith in Theo Epstein, Jed Hoyer and Jason McLeod that they will get a deal done with Soler.

Alot of faith for group that never built anything. They just sustained BOS success after they won 90 + games before they even go there. Hoyer got SDP number 1 system in baseball. What has that gotten them? Oh yea 90 losses last year and no hope this year. Guys please just stop pretending they are the answer to Cubs 103 yr curse. They did NOTHING to help the Cubs win this year or even in future. Honestly do you see Stewart, Dejesus, Volstad , Wood being big contributers on a winning team? The simple answer is NO!!! Yes they can pray all they want that 1 or 2 might work out. Then again everyteam has medicore players they wish would work out.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The South side is aways in need of fans. I want to see those players and see how they do ... I can't wait.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
The South side is aways in need of fans. I want to see those players and see how they do ... I can't wait.

Thats why Cub fans are known as the dumbest in baseball. They dont care if team wins. They just want to see players in the uniforms no matter how bad they are. Who cares that 1B is a career minor leaguer, who cares 2B OBP barely over .310, WHo cares 3B hit .156 at Coors last year. Who cares RF coming off his worse career year ever and only 1 yr older, who cares FLA traded us a 25 y/o SP with over 4.50 career ERA, who cares CIN traded us a SP who had over 4.50 ERA last year. Again i hope im wrong but history shows im not.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thats why Cub fans are known as the dumbest in baseball. They dont care if team wins. They just want to see players in the uniforms no matter how bad they are. Who cares that 1B is a career minor leaguer, who cares 2B OBP barely over .310, WHo cares 3B hit .156 at Coors last year. Who cares RF coming off his worse career year ever and only 1 yr older, who cares FLA traded us a 25 y/o SP with over 4.50 career ERA, who cares CIN traded us a SP who had over 4.50 ERA last year. Again i hope im wrong but history shows im not.

It is interesting that you mention history, since the model for building a team you seem to advocate has created the same number of championships for the Cubs as waiting for prospects.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is interesting that you mention history, since the model for building a team you seem to advocate has created the same number of championships for the Cubs as waiting for prospects.

Im talking about NYY, BOS, PHI...they have all won more championships then the Cubs. All 3 teams out spend Cubs every year even though Cubs should be up right there with them.

•Newsday’s Ken Davidoff adds up teams’ payroll commitments for 2015 and beyond and finds that nine clubs -- the Orioles, Cubs, Indians, Astros, Royals, Mets, Padres, Giants and Mariners -- haven’t committed a thing for ’15 or beyond.

I notice something about this list!! Do you? They all suck BUT 1 team. So teams spending money are winning alot more then this list!!! Again more facts from this guy :woot:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im talking about NYY, BOS, PHI...they have all won more championships then the Cubs. All 3 teams out spend Cubs every year even though Cubs should be up right there with them.

•Newsday’s Ken Davidoff adds up teams’ payroll commitments for 2015 and beyond and finds that nine clubs -- the Orioles, Cubs, Indians, Astros, Royals, Mets, Padres, Giants and Mariners -- haven’t committed a thing for ’15 or beyond.

I notice something about this list!! Do you? They all suck BUT 1 team. So teams spending money are winning alot more then this list!!! Again more facts from this guy :woot:

All three of those teams also developed impact players through their farm system and or trading their prospects as well which you seem to forget.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
All three of those teams also developed impact players through their farm system and or trading their prospects as well which you seem to forget.

Philadelphia in particular was able to acquire Roy Halladay through prospects, and grew Utley, Howard, Rollins, Hamels, and Victorino in house. I think their farm is pretty bare now, though and the guys I mentioned are just going to get older. At some point they will have to not just spend but also restock. Every team has to go with a two-prong approach. The problem with the Cubs is that they went with one prong for a while and forgot the other one, and now that both are broken, they are going to have to start building from within before they can spend out the wazoo again.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Already had to deal with this shit with Cepedes. Now another Cuban prospect. Now we all know they will lose in bidding war cause of 1 reason #rickettscheap

You are the dumbest fucking person on Earth.

Gator, you've been promoted to 2nd dumbest.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:

Jesus Montero Phil Hughes Ian Kennedy (netted them a MVP candidate last year in Granderson) ect.

plus they have a ton more coming in future years.

Not to mention the core 4 without the core 4 they probably have 0 rings in the Jeter era. Jeter isnt a guy you can just replace either his leadership and heart he plays with cant be found or bought very often.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:

Castro, Garza (got from farm), Soto, Marmol, Wood (yes still farm lol), not pieces? A-ram could have been piece.

I just want you to think about 1 thing...

Cubs Payroll be around 100 mil this year... Imagine if they gave Fielder 24 mil, A-Ram 12, Maholm 5 mil, and Jackson 10 mil (all he got from WSN), that they wouldnt be contenders in this weak NLC?

Fielder and A-ram give you legit middle of order batters.... Jackson would give you 1-4 deep SP... Garza, Demp, Jackson, Maholm, Volstad (still would have traded Z)

Then payroll goes up to 151 mil which again there is no reason why they cant spend that being in Chicago and drawing 3 mil + fans every year. Then they still could be building up the farm over the next 3 years while still competiting. Dont see NYY, PHI, BOS trading away legit MLB guys for prospects like Cubs did this offseson.

Only long term contract they would have given out is Fielder. So it still doesnt hurt the future. I posted article showing Cubs dont have 1 2015 payroll obligation. So they could have afforded to have 1 guy.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castro, Garza (got from farm), Soto, Marmol, Wood (yes still farm lol), not pieces? A-ram could have been piece.

Cubs Payroll be around 100 mil this year... Imagine if they gave Fielder 24 mil, A-Ram 12, Maholm 5 mil, and Jackson 10 mil (all he got from WSN), that they wouldnt be contenders in this weak NLC?

Fielder and A-ram give you legit middle of order batters.... Jackson would give you 1-4 deep SP... Garza, Demp, Jackson, Maholm, Volstad (still would have traded Z)

Then payroll goes up to 151 mil which again there is no reason why they cant spend that being in Chicago and drawing 3 mil + fans every year. Then they still could be building up the farm over the next 3 years while still competiting. Dont see NYY, PHI, BOS trading away legit MLB guys for prospects like Cubs did this offseson.

Only long term contract they would have given out is Fielder. So it still doesnt hurt the future. I posted article showing Cubs dont have 1 2015 payroll obligation. So they could have afforded to have 1 guy.

Or maybe, just maybe, they have a plan that doesn't involve expensive albatrosses, but rather actually building the team right?

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jesus Montero Phil Hughes Ian Kennedy (netted them a MVP candidate last year in Granderson) ect.

plus they have a ton more coming in future years.

Not to mention the core 4 without the core 4 they probably have 0 rings in the Jeter era. Jeter isnt a guy you can just replace either his leadership and heart he plays with cant be found or bought very often.

There building that through draft!!! So yes thats fine let the Cubs do that.. But dont send out these shitty ballplayers. I just posted above saying what they could have done to compete now without hurting future.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

1. Good, we can allocate our money towards younger players in the future.
2. If we weren't so bad that we had to rebuild we would spend on free agents.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Or maybe, just maybe, they have a plan that doesn't involve expensive albatrosses, but rather actually building the team right?

This is exactly how BOS, PHI, NYY building teams..They draft well which having Theo company should be better at. They they spend on MLB club. So why cant the Cubs do the same? Instead they are putting crap on the field and selling to dumb Cub fans that youth is the only way to go. Its not.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
There building that through draft!!! So yes thats fine let the Cubs do that.. But dont send out these shitty ballplayers. I just posted above saying what they could have done to compete now without hurting future.

The money spent on all those players you mentioned is money they can't spend on other younger, better free agents in future years, nor can they use it to extend guys like Castro or Garza. Just because they're billionaires doesn't mean their pockets are bottomless.

Despite the fact that they haven't done anything with the Cubs yet, I'm inclined to trust the judgment of the dudes in charge at this time. The team is pure crap and trying to plug the holes with $25MM spackle and $12MM nails isn't going to work very well when those players decline in a couple years and you're back at square one.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why dont you guys understand..im all for drafting and spending for young players..BUT why cant they do that while putting good team on field? I understand small and medium markets CAN'T BUT!!! Cubs are big market. No reason to have 100 mil payroll.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is exactly how BOS, PHI, NYY building teams..They draft well which having Theo company should be better at. They they spend on MLB club. So why cant the Cubs do the same? Instead they are putting crap on the field and selling to dumb Cub fans that youth is the only way to go. Its not.

The difference is that when those teams spend, they already have a cost-controlled homegrown core in place so that they only have to go out and buy one or two pieces and not all nine starters :lol:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
The money spent on all those players you mentioned is money they can't spend on other younger, better free agents in future years, nor can they use it to extend guys like Castro or Garza. Just because they're billionaires doesn't mean their pockets are bottomless.

Despite the fact that they haven't done anything with the Cubs yet, I'm inclined to trust the judgment of the dudes in charge at this time. The team is pure crap and trying to plug the holes with $25MM spackle and $12MM nails isn't going to work very well when those players decline in a couple years and you're back at square one.

All those deals were short term deal BUT Fielder. So you still be able to bring guys up from farm in the next 2-3 years + spend more money in couple of years.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:

Then in 5 years we are in the same situation with Prince Fielder that we are with Fonzo and we are stuck. That just isnt smart business especially when we suck so much. When you are the Phillys and adding a guy like Cliff Lee for 100+ M it makes sense because he is the final piece that makes them WS contenders doing all the stuff you said would make us the 08 Cubs a overpaid team with not enough talent.

back when we had Wood and Prior come up though the system that is how you build a team get the players young and cheap in their PRIME. We just got very unlucky but that is part of the game.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
The difference is that when those teams spend, they already have a cost-controlled homegrown core in place so that they only have to go out and buy one or two pieces and not all nine starters :lol:

Cubs didnt have to get all 9 starters...If they would have made 5 good moves just like after 2006 season they could contend in the worse division in baseball. Then once playoffs start anything can happen

Status
Not open for further replies.