Official Jorge Soler Watch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs didnt have to get all 9 starters...If they would have made 5 good moves just like after 2006 season they could contend in the worse division in baseball. Then once playoffs start anything can happen

I don't understand why you are against building an organization that can contend for the WS for years, not just get to the playoffs and hope shit falls our way.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't understand why you are against building an organization that can contend for the WS for years, not just get to the playoffs and hope shit falls our way.

Honestly if rebuilding so easy every bad team would do it. There is NO guarentee (cant spell) that rebuilding will work. I read article yesterday and wish i would have posted that 55% of the time teams rebuild it fails and they have to redo it again. I think its tough to keep asking Cub fans to be patient when they are already the joke of all Pro Sport Franchises. Cubs are big market and shouldnt be doing full rebuild. I understand they want to build minor league system up. Im all for that. BUT they should also be putting a competitive team on the MLB field also. I typed 5 guys they could have signed this FA and payroll be around 150 mil while only signing 1 guy to long term and they be competitive in this division. Also posted article yesterday showing Cubs 1 of 9 teams not to have anyone past 2015 payroll. So they could have afforded to pay Fielder to help them now and future. Rizzo yes is a nice prospect BUT we hear of great prospects failing all the time. Some blog wrote a article today posting the last 10 big SP trades and how only 1 legit MLB guy has come out of it and its Adam Jones. Yes there are about 5 top 100 prospects but again no idea what they do in MLB. So 95% of the time the guy your trading is alot better then what you get in return. Im not against building organization but i am against them not putting a legit MLB team on the field. I understand that small and even medium markets teams have to pick 1 way to go. Either go for it or Rebuild. Cubs are big market and should have the luxary of doing both. They can rebuild the farm by drafting the best players and not have to worry about them not signing cause of money. They can go out and bid the most for IFA. They should also put out a 150 mil + payroll. Also with this new MLB agreement rebuilding going to be even harder since there is cap on draft and IFA. So why not put some money into FA this year cause players they draft now and over the next couple of years are still 4-5 years away!!! So your telling me its ok that Cubs suck the next 4-5 years till these prospects start coming and with no promise they can play in MLB. So if they fail in 4-5 years they have to restart ALL OVER. Sorry but fans like my dad dont have that kind of time. So if it means that Cubs have to buy WS so be it. If someone told me Cubs would spend big and win WS in 2012 then suck for next 20 years i say or they could rebuild and in 5 years they MIGHT build a young good team that is productive over the next 20 years, i would take the 2012 WS NOW!! Its cause its been 103 years and im tired of being a fan of the laughing stock of all Pro Sports. That was a long rant and cant wait to get killed for it lol. I know my opinion is different then from most of you. I just dont know when it was ok for a big market team to be so bad. You think NYY would ever allow this? HELL NO

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Hey Daddies, :umad:

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:
Honestly if rebuilding so easy every bad team would do it. There is NO guarentee (cant spell) that rebuilding will work. I read article yesterday and wish i would have posted that 55% of the time teams rebuild it fails and they have to redo it again. I think its tough to keep asking Cub fans to be patient when they are already the joke of all Pro Sport Franchises. Cubs are big market and shouldnt be doing full rebuild. I understand they want to build minor league system up. Im all for that. BUT they should also be putting a competitive team on the MLB field also. I typed 5 guys they could have signed this FA and payroll be around 150 mil while only signing 1 guy to long term and they be competitive in this division. Also posted article yesterday showing Cubs 1 of 9 teams not to have anyone past 2015 payroll. So they could have afforded to pay Fielder to help them now and future. Rizzo yes is a nice prospect BUT we hear of great prospects failing all the time. Some blog wrote a article today posting the last 10 big SP trades and how only 1 legit MLB guy has come out of it and its Adam Jones. Yes there are about 5 top 100 prospects but again no idea what they do in MLB. So 95% of the time the guy your trading is alot better then what you get in return. Im not against building organization but i am against them not putting a legit MLB team on the field. I understand that small and even medium markets teams have to pick 1 way to go. Either go for it or Rebuild. Cubs are big market and should have the luxary of doing both. They can rebuild the farm by drafting the best players and not have to worry about them not signing cause of money. They can go out and bid the most for IFA. They should also put out a 150 mil + payroll. Also with this new MLB agreement rebuilding going to be even harder since there is cap on draft and IFA. So why not put some money into FA this year cause players they draft now and over the next couple of years are still 4-5 years away!!! So your telling me its ok that Cubs suck the next 4-5 years till these prospects start coming and with no promise they can play in MLB. So if they fail in 4-5 years they have to restart ALL OVER. Sorry but fans like my dad dont have that kind of time. So if it means that Cubs have to buy WS so be it. If someone told me Cubs would spend big and win WS in 2012 then suck for next 20 years i say or they could rebuild and in 5 years they MIGHT build a young good team that is productive over the next 20 years, i would take the 2012 WS NOW!! Its cause its been 103 years and im tired of being a fan of the laughing stock of all Pro Sports. That was a long rant and cant wait to get killed for it lol. I know my opinion is different then from most of you. I just dont know when it was ok for a big market team to be so bad. You think NYY would ever allow this? HELL NO

We are stuck with old geezer terrible contracts. Rebuilding assets is what is important right now. You need desirable pieces to make the splash trades. You need a roster spot to make a splash signing. You need a viable supporting cast to justify that splash signing.

It's about building depth and assets. The Cubs will spend but what is the point right now? Seriously, who are the Cubs going to get that makes us a contender right now? We don't have the pieces in the system to trade for anyone. And even if we traded the few assets we do have, we'd be screwed once again.

Part of the reason the Yankees are able always so successful is because they are able to spend, yes, but they also fill holes internally or make trades.

Comparing the situation in Chicago to New York is not viable comparison. They can run a baseball team. No one could make that claim in Chicago, until now.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yankees have an infinite amount of money to spend.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yankees have an infinite amount of money to spend.

That's not entirely true, which is why they're dumping payroll before the new luxury taxes hit them.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's not entirely true, which is why they're dumping payroll before the new luxury taxes hit them.
The Yankees can sign any player they want.

The Cubs and the other 28 teams can't.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

That's not entirely true either, as they tried to sign Cliff Lee but he decided to go to Philly instead. I'm sure there are other examples, but the Yankees are not as all-powerful as you believe them to be. They do have a shitload of money though, but even those pockets have bottoms.

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:

The Yankees certainly have the dollars to make huge moves but they also bring up players and stockpile assets.

When it comes down to it, they can afford the big names but they can also afford to give up good prospects.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Like Rice Cube said ... the Yanks are going down. I believe they still have a 200M payroll (or the uppers 100's). They didn't even spend this off-season. They upgraded their roation via trade with the M's and shedded a little payroll (Burnett) to add hitters (Chavez and/or Ibanez).

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cafardo On Soler, Gonzalez, Ibanez, Abreu, Kazmir: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Two GMs told Cafardo that Jorge Soler will go for more than the five years and $15MM-$20MM most thought he would settle for. Some of the clubs who elected to stay away on Yoenis Cespedes because of the hefty price and question marks about his game have decided that Soler is a better value. The Red Sox are one of about eight teams in on Soler.

That probably accounts for about six years and $30MM then, which is still less than what Cespedes commanded. I think since Soler is more of a true prospect his price tag stays relatively low, but some team might go nuts and give him even stupider money.

IvyPickin87

Sinkin Putts ****in Butts
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cafardo On Soler, Gonzalez, Ibanez, Abreu, Kazmir: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

That probably accounts for about six years and $30MM then, which is still less than what Cespedes commanded. I think since Soler is more of a true prospect his price tag stays relatively low, but some team might go nuts and give him even stupider money.

Yea i agree that is will be close to what you projected if he gets more then 30 mill the team is taking a pretty big risk. If he turns out to be the real deal its worth the gamble. I hope the Cubs get him but if he gets over 40 mill I hope the Cubs are not the team in that scenario.

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:
Yea i agree that is will be close to what you projected if he gets more then 30 mill the team is taking a pretty big risk. If he turns out to be the real deal its worth the gamble. I hope the Cubs get him but if he gets over 40 mill I hope the Cubs are not the team in that scenario.

This is the kind of spending I think we should be doing right now.

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:
At 40 mill? not that much.

It is a lot but who cares? If they are willing to spend that much on a youngster it'd be a good indication that they are willing to spend on a player they want.

If they are willing and it won't interfere with future acquisitions, we shouldn't care....

IvyPickin87

Sinkin Putts ****in Butts
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is a lot but who cares? If they are willing to spend that much on a youngster it'd be a good indication that they are willing to spend on a player they want.

If they are willing and it won't interfere with future acquisitions, we shouldn't care....

But its spending 40 mil on a guy who may not pan out. Right now it doesnt look like it but it could hurt down the road.

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:
But its spending 40 mil on a guy who may not pan out. Right now it doesnt look like it but it could hurt down the road.

After we get some money off the books and if Theo is truly in charge of the spending we should be able to absorb that kind of money.

I'd absolutely HATE it if we passed on this guy and he turns out to be a stud just for a couple more million per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.