*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
Hopefully Kmet can play left tackle because Chicago currently doesnt have one on the roster.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Well, now that the Armstead domino has finally fallen, let's see if the rest of the OT market picks up. The two names I see the most are Eric Fisher and Billy Turner. I just hope the Bears sign one of them soon.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I am glad the Bears stayed away from Armstead, age and injury prone.
Age is not really an issue at that position. We’ve seen numerous tackles play well at a later age. Injury is a concern but the price reflects that. I’ll wait and see how things go but if LT is an issue this year then Poles fucked up. Again, need to see how the plan comes together first though.

SpinachTeeth

Liked Posts:
Armstead Signing with Dolphins. We’ll that’s that.

5 years 75mil

Wtf. Now i'm upset. I thought he was going to get 20+ million which I was ok not going for him.

15 million a year (not all guaranteed) is a VERY reasonable contract for a LT of his caliber, even considering the injury history.

What in actuality are we doing if we're not signing good OL for reasonably cheap contracts?

We're going to be depending on 2 career backups (and that's just assuming we get Bates), a second year player, and likely a rookie to go along with Whitehair to defend our franchise QB.

oso4lyf

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes
Wtf. Now i'm upset. I thought he was going to get 20+ million which I was ok not going for him.

15 million a year (not all guaranteed) is a VERY reasonable contract for a LT of his caliber, even considering the injury history.

What in actuality are we doing if we're not signing good OL for reasonably cheap contracts?

We're going to be depending on 2 career backups (and that's just assuming we get Bates), a second year player, and likely a rookie to go along with Whitehair to defend our franchise QB.
Poles got this! I don't actually believe this but whatever...

Bears27

Liked Posts:
Even if he is - that's seriously fucked up.
Oh, go change your pad, Virginia.
OK.
Be fair
Would you have been happy with Poles signing ARob to the contract he got?

Would you have been happy signing a vet to a prohibitive contract that will put the team in cap hell? I think we'd be happy with a QB of Rodgers' talent but that wasn't possible. GB kept him for a year, maybe two. But they lost their best WR in the process because the QB got all the $. Be honest - if our GM did that would you praise him?

Would you be praising Poles if he traded six picks, including 3 first rounders, and gave a fully guaranteed $230 million contract to a QB with 22 sexual misconduct allegations against him with an almost certain NFL suspension hanging over his head?

I have a hard time believing those three examples you used of other GMs moves would be considered as good if made by the Bears' GM.
It's a fair point. I can't say they're the right moves to make, only appreciating those organizations making moves.

I'm not against austerity when it matters, but at some point, I'd expect them to use their resources. I do not subscribe to the idea of tanking to get better; than sell discounted tickets if we agree you're fielding a sub-standard product. Hopefully, there's a grander scheme for Poles playing cheap in FA and they nail the draft. I'd love for that to happen. But the history of tight-fisted finances makes this strategy seem like, old hat.

Canth

Liked Posts:

We're going to be depending on 2 career backups, a rookie, and a second year player go go along with Whitehair to defend our franchise QB.

This isn't a one way street though. The money a guy may agree to in one location/team is not necessarily the same money that it would take another team to sign him. The Bears could very well have offered or expressed a willingness to pay more - that doesn't mean he has to take it.

For example, no income tax in Florida means he can take a little less for a team in Florida and still clear more than he would in Chicago or for a California team.

Likewise, after spending years in New Orleans and in the south...he may not have wanted to go up to the north unless there really was no other option. Having lived in the south for many years myself, I can attest that it is a mental hurdle to overcome to be willing to move back to deal with things like the cold and snow.