*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Bates comes with us.

They knew they had to structure it in a way that makes it tough on the Bills to match and I'm sure they did just that
I am not getting all these "structure" arguments.
Bills can easily just sign him to a 3 yr contract and make 90% signing bonus, and spread the cap over the 3 yrs.
Only thing I can think of is if the Bears offer him a 1 year contract for 8-9 mil.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Bills can easily just sign him to a 3 yr contract and make 90% signing bonus, and spread the cap over the 3 yrs.
Only thing I can think of is if the Bears offer him a 1 year contract for 8-9 mil.
Pretty sure they have to match the exact terms of the contract he signed

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Overpaying for top talent = Bad

Overpaying for serviceable talent = Good?

Honestly?

I don't trust Bears fans (or fans in general really) to have any concept or grasp on the cap or any of that anyway.

We just lived through endless bitching about Pace and dead cap money, and some of the SAME people want the Bears to overspend on a name they just learned about 2 weeks ago in order to make them feel like the Bears are "doing something".

Even though they know as well as the rest of us do that the Bears won't be competing next year even if we did exhaust our cap and sign all the people.

So the whole thing is comical to me.

This team is at least 2 drafts away MINIMUM from competing to a point where we even SHOULD be worrying about the cap situation and missing out on prime free agents - and the only way that ends up not being the case is if Fields breaks out like a rockstar next season. Typically, traditionally, that breakout year doesn't happen until year 3 of a QB, and what we should be expecting for next season is, if Fields is the guy, for him to take a step and show he can be a reliable starting QB, with the occasional flash of something more here and there.

As to how they get there - I'm not the GM. I'll let them sign and draft all the people, and unless its something really egregious, I am holding off all judgements until we start seeing the team coming together in pre-season games (because training camp and OTAs tend to just be hype-machines).

This isn't a year for fans to worry about the cap or who the Bears are signing. Its not a year to worry about wins and losses.

It's a year to kick back, just enjoy football for the sake of it being football, and hope that from week 1 to week 18 of the regular season, you see things that show you they improved throughout the season, that Fields is continuing to grow, and that Poles and Flus aren't in over their heads with the players they DO choose, especially the draft picks.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Your comment of overpaying for top talent is not accurate, because it never happened.
A lot of folks here have been pretty consistent that you don't overpay for protection for your young quarterback or receivers for your young quarterback in a year where you're not going to compete for a Super Bowl. I'm wondering when that changed.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
Nope, not true. Bears did the same thing with Fuller just to make sure both parties knew he was getting the money he’s worth. Bears matched GBs huge offer the same day if I remember correctly.
the bears franchised tagged Fuller (transition designation) thus guaranteeing him $13M, slightly less than the full $15M Franchise tag. They also let it be known that they planned on matching any offer for him. So a slightly different scenario

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The only contract they can sign him to now is the Bears offer sheet.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
A lot of folks here have been pretty consistent that you don't overpay for protection for your young quarterback or receivers for your young quarterback in a year where you're not going to compete for a Super Bowl. I'm wondering when that changed.
Yeah I don't get it either.

All of a sudden Bates is some proven commodity who's going to be a starter with the Bears after only 6 career starts AND it's ok to overpay for him cause he's seen as an ascending player.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
This isn't a year for fans to worry about the cap or who the Bears are signing.
Does the rest of the board know?

In any case, I agree with your post at large. But isn't the cap situation what people are using to justify not signing receivers or protection for Fields? "They can make those signings **next year** when they have much more cap room" has been a very common refrain around here.

As far as who the Bears are signing, doesn't who you're signing have some effect on Fields' development? Which is something you say we *should* watch out for this year.