*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Totally. In Florida it isn't even illegal to do donuts. He might even beat that reckless driving charge.

The outrage from Teddy seems a little sus to me if i'm being honest.
Hangry ?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Les, seriously just waiting for you to yell at people to get off your lawn - coming off as an ole fart. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though - if you REALLY want to take a 10,000 ft view of it - the issue here is that some Bears fans are pissed that Poles doesn't have the same urgency as they do.

It's like having a completely broken down car classic car that someone is planning on completely restoring minus the steering wheel, and right when the person doing it gets started, people are pissed that the restorer fixed the brakes first instead of the gas.

Point is, you are still going nowhere because you don't have enough parts. And in the professional restorer's eyes, who should know about parts, who makes them, quality etc. he saw 2 top of the line break parts he decided to get because he wanted quality, instead of just grabbing the cheap shit of a bunch of parts for the thrill of making the car drivable for a little bit, even though its sure to break down pretty quick because of the inferior parts.

Fans always say they want the right things and then lack the patience for it to actually happen.

Has it never crossed your mind that Fields and Poles may have talked and he told Justin "look - next year is going to SUCK, but there are too many holes to fill. Just know that I am not evaluating you based on the surrounding talent next year. Work on improving yourself, and we'll get there eventually, but I am not going to get a guy just to say "I got a guy". I want to give you the right guys, and there are not a lot of them in my opinion this year. So don't be surprised if we fill holes on defense first. We haven't forgotten about you or given up on you - we want to overall give you the best team to lead on both sides of the ball, and we all realize this is going to take time. We'll be patient with you, so you gotta be patient with us."

Or is that too reasonable a take for all the dick ripping going on? Yes, 2022 will likely suck. That's news to NO ONE.
If by ole fart you mean I've seen this movie many times before with this team, then yeah, I'm an ole fart.

Your analogy is a weird one. Justin Fields isn't Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. You can't expect to not give him playmakers on the offense and get away with it. Fields is still developing.

It's not about winning right now, I agree. It's about making sure your QB succeeds and develops for the long haul. Making that investment NOW will pay off later. Making that investment later, well... you might not see the pay off at all. You may have missed your change to develop a QB properly.

SpinachTeeth

Liked Posts:
What Pace did is over and done with. You said we dont have a legit LT and my point was simply we dont know that yet. A lot of that will depend on how they look when the pads come on so getting all worked up now is a bit silly. Is your life going to emd if you exhibit some patience and see how the OL looks in TC and preseason?

The way to get ahead is to try to be proactive, rather than reactive.

Let’s be patient and wait and see if the stock market really crashes before selling. Let’s be patient and wait to see if the infected patient becomes truly septic before starting antibiotics.

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Les, seriously just waiting for you to yell at people to get off your lawn - coming off as an ole fart. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though - if you REALLY want to take a 10,000 ft view of it - the issue here is that some Bears fans are pissed that Poles doesn't have the same urgency as they do.

It's like having a completely broken down car classic car that someone is planning on completely restoring minus the steering wheel, and right when the person doing it gets started, people are pissed that the restorer fixed the brakes first instead of the gas.

Point is, you are still going nowhere because you don't have enough parts. And in the professional restorer's eyes, who should know about parts, who makes them, quality etc. he saw 2 top of the line break parts he decided to get because he wanted quality, instead of just grabbing the cheap shit of a bunch of parts for the thrill of making the car drivable for a little bit, even though its sure to break down pretty quick because of the inferior parts.

Fans always say they want the right things and then lack the patience for it to actually happen.

Has it never crossed your mind that Fields and Poles may have talked and he told Justin "look - next year is going to SUCK, but there are too many holes to fill. Just know that I am not evaluating you based on the surrounding talent next year. Work on improving yourself, and we'll get there eventually, but I am not going to get a guy just to say "I got a guy". I want to give you the right guys, and there are not a lot of them in my opinion this year. So don't be surprised if we fill holes on defense first. We haven't forgotten about you or given up on you - we want to overall give you the best team to lead on both sides of the ball, and we all realize this is going to take time. We'll be patient with you, so you gotta be patient with us."

Or is that too reasonable a take for all the dick ripping going on? Yes, 2022 will likely suck. That's news to NO ONE.
:jonesy:

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Yes, but the future isn't 100% THIS QB. Fields could fail. Poles doesn't want to ruin future success by putting all his eggs in the "Fields is great" basket, because there's a chance he isn't. And Fields, as talented as he may be, is still someone else's QB. And that someone else (Pace) was fired, largely because of his moves at the QB position.

Like Fields or not (and I love him), it's hard to fault Poles for not risking his job solely on Fields being great. Because if you build the team as if Fields is already great, and he fails. Ownership will look at it as Poles not being able to develop Fields while surrounding him with a bunch of talent. They won't say, "oh well, maybe Pace picked the wrong guy".
Then you agree with the narrative that's going around that Poles isn't sold on Fields?

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
@gpphat look at this long ass analogy

also @everyone look at the fan fiction conversation an NFL exec and his QB are having inside Teddy's head lmfao

Cringed so hard I pooped a tooth.
made a rookie mistake in constructing that analogy, he gave too much detail in describing the analogy...creating an analogy should be more like making a Reuben Sandwich and not like a Triple Decker Club. When there are so many components that it has to be held together with a toothpick, it typically just ends up falling apart anyways.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You might want to visit his 2021 predictions before you get too excited.
Here is a hint, he had the Bears in the Playoffs and the Bengals as a bottom tier team.

So your saying that he's likely to be right this year!
Excellent!

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Like I said, adding big contracts that are largely QB dependent (like I used in my example of a WR and an older OT) probably aren't wise ideas if you don't know if you have the QB.

And keep in mind, I'm NOT saying I agree with this strategy, because like was said, there's really no reason to NOT add OL help. You can get young OL who may be still good enough to protect the next guy, if Fields ain't it. But my example of Armstead, I used specifically because of his age. If the Bears were able to get a 26-year old OL, I'm sure they would have signed him to a long-term deal (actually did with Patrick). But everyone would probably still be crying about it not being enough help.

Again, not saying it's what I would have done. But it makes sense what Poles did. I don't think he's looking for Fields to "rise above" his supporting cast, necessarily. But I do think they want to see certain things from him improved from last year. They want to see him get rid of the ball quicker and not take as many sacks. They want to see him improve the turnovers (mostly fumbles and a couple INTs were bad reads). I think Poles fully believes he will show that improvement, but I think he's also hedging his bets in case he doesn't.

When Poles got hired, he didn't know Fields well, maybe didn't even meet him yet. He knows what kind of talent he is. He probably has good word on what kind of person he is as well. But until you see with your own eyes how he responds to your hand-picked coaches and a new scheme, then he's probably wise to not go all in on Fields like the Chargers did with Herbert. Fields didn't perform like a rookie Herbert. Sure, it's likely due to the shitshow of Pace/Nagy, but there's a part that could be just Fields not being good enough.
One way to do this is provide him with an O-line that offers some protection and WR's that actually get open with separation. It's hard to learn anything when your under constant duress and don't have shit to throw to.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Then you agree with the narrative that's going around that Poles isn't sold on Fields?
What about what I said led you to that conclusion? I don't agree with that narrative at all. Literally just saying, Poles is hedging his bets.

I'm sold that my wife is forever faithful to me, but I'm not going to lock her in a room with a naked Jason Momoa. Poles can be sold on Fields without locking his team into big long-term contracts, thus locking his future as GM to whether or not Fields is a successful NFL QB.