*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Did @Montucky just dox himself lol

The headline is a bit exaggerated. Looking at the data, all this is saying is Vildor was garbage in man and below average to average in zone. Since Eberflus plays about 15% more zone then Vildor stands to be better overall as won't be in man as much.

Well Vildor is atrocious as a man CB but the prior idiot at DC somehow didn't realize this and kept leaving him on an island all year. As a zone corner, the numbers show he can almost be average.

Desai was only a tad bit better than Pagano. Thankfully both of those idiots are gone.

That overstates the case. Fangio, Pagano and Desai all run a similar defense which is in fact the most popular defense in the NFL. That defense is predicated on having everything look like a Cover 2 pre-snap and then mixing up coverages ie man and zone. Hence why it was close to a 50-50 split between man and zone with zone actually being the majority.

Looking at all the data the problem was moreso talent acquisition. Vildor should never have been drafted to play in a man defense if he was that garbage at man. All the other CBs appear to be guys that were at least decent playing both which again is the whole premise of the Fangio defensive system.

Don't think it is all that feasible to change an entire defensive system because of 1 CB who probably should have been a backup anyways.

I was hoping D was more Fangio than Pagano but nope. To think he was the secondary coach and then let that go on for so long as DC was disturbing. Given a choice and with the players available to them, I take him over what Pagano did here but that's not saying a whole lot.

Vildor was a great mirror that never touched the ball when it got there. Kinda like a short blanket on a cold night.

It was more Fangio. The problem is Vildor isn't a Fangio type player because again Fangio pretty much likes to disguise everything as Cover 2 and play 50-50 man and zone. I would also say Vildor sucking in man coverage was likely a bit of surprise as you noted he was good at actually mirroring WRs which is probably what his college tape showed. So he should have been better in man. The problem was for some reason he failed an inordinate amount of the time at the point of the catch which again probably not a problem he had in college against weaker competition.

This is somewhat similar to Trubisky who was highly accurate and threw in stride on his college tape but came to the NFL and somehow lost that ability in the transition.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Doesn't change my argument.
Maybe not the rest of your argument but it seemed you weren't taking into account the fact that his settling was clearly influenced by the desire to get the NFL to resolve his case sooner.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
A reminder to everyone hoping that next year's FAs with actually be available.

Almost any player is available for the right price. The question only Poles can answer is whether there is enough value at that price.

The Chiefs were willing to part with Hill but the Dolphins had to give up five picks and then give him a $120 mil extension.

Doesn't seem worth it to me but the league is changing and maybe that's just how things get done now.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I was told he was an up and coming HC prospect that the Bears should have considered promoting from within. @remydat

I believe I said if the D continued playing at the level they were playing at the time, I would be in favor of firing Nagy and making him interim HC. The D did not continue playing at that high a level so the comment was a bit moot although I still would have had no problem firing Nagy and making him interim HC over anyone else on the staff. This offseason Desai clearly got more interest than any of our other coaches and I believe only Tabor and Desai still have NFL jobs for the more prominent coordinators. Lazor and DeFillipo are still out of work.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe not the rest of your argument but it seemed you weren't taking into account the fact that his settling was clearly influenced by the desire to get the NFL to resolve his case sooner.
I simply thought that would be obvious for anyone in his position.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Almost any player is available for the right price. The question only Poles can answer is whether there is enough value at that price.

The Chiefs were willing to part with Hill but the Dolphins had to give up five picks and then give him a $120 mil extension.

Doesn't seem worth it to me but the league is changing and maybe that's just how things get done now.
Another question to ask..........With these WR contracts what will Mooney's be worth when the time comes? Last year his numbers mirrored McLaurin's.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I simply thought that would be obvious for anyone in his position.

Yes it is but again in the below it seemed your focus was on him paying them millions to keep quiet. My point was just that he is paying them millions to get it over with so that the NFL can rule. If he didn't have an NFL suspension hanging over his head, I don't think he would have as much incentive to settle. So was just saying think his main motivation was to get the NFL to move ahead with punishment. The fact is the individual cases appear weak hence why two grand juries failed to indict and the standard for indictment is pretty low. Not to mention the women have already testified so a lot of their testimony is already out there. If the goal was to keep them quiet he would have settled before it got the the stage where depositions and testimony was taken.

They are using Robert Kraft to argue this. He did not deceive anyone (no unwilling participants in a single instance) and his case was considered entrapped so it was tossed. They're hoping a single alleged $59 tug job will pressure the NFL to not suspend Watson after likely paying millions to keep defendants quiet.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
yup

there will be zero free agents available

Yeah don't get the concern here. Whichever is the top WR on the market we will have more than enough money to sign them if that is the road we wish to take. Best case a top guy is available. Worst case, we get guys similar to the guys people wanted us to sign this offseason ie Kirk or Chark with the difference being we will have more cap if we have to overpay like the Jags did.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I don't think the bolded is all that true. First of all, most of the WRs that changed teams were via big time trades. Adams, Hill, AJ Brown, Marquise Brown, Devante Parker, Cooper. Only trades that weren't for 1st round picks (which the Bears didn't even have) + more were Parker and Cooper. Parker went for a 3rd which was an overpay for someone that isn't dependable. Cooper went for late picks, but he came with a 20M/season price tag. None of those were realistic gets for the Bears.

Secondly, in free agency, Kirk got 18 per, MVS got 10M each for 3 years as did Russell Gage. DJ Chark got 10M for 1 year coming off a devastating injury. That was literally the top of the WR FA market, outside of Allen Robinson, who obviously wasn't coming back here. The best FA deal might have been Cedrick Wilson, and nobody would be content with the WR group if they had Cedrick Wilson instead of Byron Pringle.

The real issue is on the OL, where the Bears still are unsure about 3 spots and don't project as more than serviceable at the other 2. The same 3-year/24M contract that got Zay Jones to the Jags, could have gotten you James Daniels, Alex Cappa, Austin Corbett, Conor Williams, Lael Collins or Trent Brown in the FA market (give or take 700K). If Poles failed anywhere, it's on the OL where there were more bargains and guys who moved the needle further than a WR on the same level as Byron Pringle.
I am not going to argue with you that more could have/should have been done with the offensive line as well. I agree with that.

On the WR front, I was thinking of guys like Cedric Wilson or DJ Chark (I understand the injury concern, but 1 year deal, soo), JuJu Smith-Shuster and Jarvis Landry signed cheap 1 year deals for around 3 million, Green Bay took a flyer on Sammy Watkins for less than 2 million. I get they all had concerns, but at those prices, it just seems strange that it seemed like Chicago was never even in the market.

I would add that I would want one of those guys in addition to Pringle, not in place of Pringle.

And I would have liked another veteran offensive lineman brought in to compete with these rookies.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I am not going to argue with you that more could have/should have been done with the offensive line as well. I agree with that.

On the WR front, I was thinking of guys like Cedric Wilson or DJ Chark (I understand the injury concern, but 1 year deal, soo), JuJu Smith-Shuster and Jarvis Landry signed cheap 1 year deals for around 3 million, Green Bay took a flyer on Sammy Watkins for less than 2 million. I get they all had concerns, but at those prices, it just seems strange that it seemed like Chicago was never even in the market.

I would add that I would want one of those guys in addition to Pringle, not in place of Pringle.

And I would have liked another veteran offensive lineman brought in to compete with these rookies.
I gotcha. I just personally had no interest in Juju, Landry or Watkins. I'd rather give those reps to Velus Jones and even guys like Dazz Newsome or St. Brown, who are younger and have more of a chance of doing something. Pringle's a 1-year deal, but he's a guy you could potentially re-sign long-term at an affordable rate if he's a good fit. Juju, Landry or Watkins have a big year and they're getting big money based on their name along with a big season in what is supposed to be a bad offense.

I think the Bears were looking for more high floor players than paying for high ceilings at WR. I can't blame Poles for that.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
yup

there will be zero free agents available
With the exception of a very rare occasion, the only free agents that really interests me are the second and third tier ones because they usually come in and contribute and you aren't breaking the bank for them.

Very rarely is there someone worth the money in free agency when talking about that first round of free agency.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
With the exception of a very rare occasion, the only free agents that really interests me are the second and third tier ones because they usually come in and contribute and you aren't breaking the bank for them.

Very rarely is there someone worth the money in free agency when talking about that first round of free agency.
How would you know, dipshit?