Official Offseason Thread - CUBS edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeahh... It does make sense to find compenation in the Rule V draft, but it's been dragging on too long.

I say let it drag. The longer it goes on, the more likely Bud Selig steps in and gives the Red Sox Hayden Simpson.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I say let it drag. The longer it goes on, the more likely Bud Selig steps in and gives the Red Sox Hayden Simpson.

So guys loved that pick 2 years ago and now people think the 1st RD pick is shit?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
While I don't disagree he was a poor pick, there is more to the Hayden Simpson story then just he sucked. He got mono and lost a ton of weight/strength. Basically he hasn't been the same since. Granted he was a bit of a reach at the time, but this wasn't Mark Pawlek (sp?).

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why I think Dale Sveum doesn't improve the chances of a Prince Fielder signing, but doesn't mean it won't happen:

Dale Sveum = Prince Fielder –> Cubs? Not so fast… | World Series Dreaming

I don't think Fielder is going to take a discount.

I think it has been pretty clear for a while that Fielder's primary concern is getting the most money. I am not going to fault the guy for that, but that is why I've thought it was silly when people claimed he wouldn't sign with particular teams.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it has been pretty clear for a while that Fielder's primary concern is getting the most money. I am not going to fault the guy for that, but that is why I've thought it was silly when people claimed he wouldn't sign with particular teams.

I think the idea of Dale Sveum somehow convincing his buddy to take a paycut or make the Cubs his priority etc. is even more silly.

Thanks in advance to whoever bothers to read it :)

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Any word on Jaramillo status with the hiring of a former hitting coach as manager? I just haven't heard if he is still around or what the situation is but would be interesting to see.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Toronto was going to take him in the supplemental first round.

So let them. The Cubs could've had a bonafide first-rounder. Hayden Simpson may yet turn out to be a great player but the pick at the time was dumbth.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the idea of Dale Sveum somehow convincing his buddy to take a paycut or make the Cubs his priority etc. is even more silly.

Thanks in advance to whoever bothers to read it :)

It was a good read. I agree with practically everything you said as usual.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Any word on Jaramillo status with the hiring of a former hitting coach as manager? I just haven't heard if he is still around or what the situation is but would be interesting to see.

I seriously hope that he is gone. He is just not that great of a hitting coach and is the exact opposite of what this team needs.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish