***OFFICIAL*** XFL Discussion Thread: CFL / XFL Merger

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Not a bad start at all. I liked some of the rules and the broadcast.
I think the kickoff rule should be part of the NFL immediately. The NFL talks about safety being the most important thing while the kickoff is the most dangerous play.

I also like how there are penalties if you kick it too long (starts at the 35) or too short (starts at the other team's 45 yard line!). It forces teams to actually play. There is even a penalty if the receiving team allows the ball to roll into the end zone (ball at the 15 yard line).

I also love the idea of extra points (1,2 or 3) with no extra point kicks. It forces teams to attempt a score with a much smaller chance of success than kicking an extra point. This makes extra points a gamble, instead of a near certainty. It can be interesting in a come-back situation. That is something that will take a while to get to the NFL, if ever.

I did not like the live interviews on every big play. The woman in the first game was especially obtrusive, once shoving her MIC in the face of a player as he is celebrating with his teammates in the end zone.

I think the idea of an overtime system similar to soccer could be very exciting. Each team has 5 chances to score a 2 point conversion. The team with more conversions is the winner.

In all, I think that the XFL was surprisingly good. No, it wasn't an NFL game, but at least it wasn't embarrassingly bad.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
I watched the tail end of the first game and the first quarter of the second, lots of incompletions. Some good running and some good ideas for rules. I can do without a lot of the open mike stuff, especially on the sidelines. Maybe more football geeky guys like it more than me.
i would probably be more interested if there was a Chicago team involved...

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
I took the over 51.5 in LA/Hou, even though I couldn't name a single player on either side. All I knew was that June Jones is Houston's coach, and all he knows is offense. (Yes, it went over.)

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
Trestman is testing the waters. He has this NY team right where he wants them

msadows

Liked Posts:
I gotta say, Greg Olsen is pretty dang good at being a color commentator. I'll be shocked if he doesn't get a gig instantly after retiring.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Trestman's team is just as I remembered LOL

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I gotta say, Greg Olsen is pretty dang good at being a color commentator. I'll be shocked if he doesn't get a gig instantly after retiring.

Agreed. Would love for them to get him on MNF.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
How long until we're watching Trestman vs. Nagy in the XFL?

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it's okay. Gives guys a chance to get invite to camp or back on a roster. Better than nothing imo.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I think the NFL should look into the kickoff rule and XP rule. I kinda like both of them better than the current NFL one.