OLINE

mecha

Liked Posts:
every team allows sacks. the Bears I think only allowed 1 today. they're not close to elite level, but it's manageable. the defense needs help up front more. I don't know the optimal way to address defense and receiver, but those are the biggest blemishes at present. for being a team comprised of noob scrubs, they're doing passably decent. Lovie Smith fielded shittier teams in the off years. and Fox.

people clutching their cunts about the secondary today are missing the point, right on cue.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
This team might finish with 6 wins. They have a lot of priorities. Fix the Oline/Dline in Free Agency and draft WR/LB/CB

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
every team allows sacks. the Bears I think only allowed 1 today. they're not close to elite level, but it's manageable. the defense needs help up front more. I don't know the optimal way to address defense and receiver, but those are the biggest blemishes at present. for being a team comprised of noob scrubs, they're doing passably decent. Lovie Smith fielded shittier teams in the off years. and Fox.

people clutching their cunts about the secondary today are missing the point, right on cue.
The Bears have a shit ton of money and there is trench talent in next years FA market.

gallagher

Ave Atque Vale
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Jones is doing enough to go into the next offseason as the starter, but not the unquestioned starter. Should the opportunity arise to do better, I think that you have to take that opportunity.

Jones, however, is not the most important to replace right now. The #1 priority this offseason has to be center.

The team has more than $120M to pass around next year, and a priority needs to be placed on the OL and DL. For top of the line talent, one could get a starting OC, RT, DE and DT for less than $60M and will look like a wildcard team on paper before the draft.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Braxton Jones has to improve a lot to remain the starting LT(especially against a bull rush). I don't hate Braxton Jones as LT, and even though he's done objectively well as a 5th round pick, he's had his struggles. And he had his struggles in this game, too. He had 2 really bad snaps back to back in the 2nd half. I think our gameplanning and playcalling has done a better job of masking our oline deficiencies.

I feel like Reiff has been pretty good at RT, too. Have never really been sold on Borom.

If we could get 2 starting caliber linemen from the draft/FA. I would be consider that a win. I wouldn't hate if we got 3-4, though.

msadows

Liked Posts:

How are we feeling about Braxton Jones? Are you good if he’s the LT next year?

Keep Reiff at RT the rest of the season?

Is OLINE a greater priority than WR and DLINE? Equal priority? Lower?

How are we feeling about Braxton Jones? Shitty

Are you good if he’s the LT next year? No, Def not.

Keep Reiff at RT the rest of the season? Yes, 100%

Is OLINE a greater priority than WR and DLINE? Equal priority? Lower? If you have a top 5 pick take DL, if you somehow draft out of the top 10 try to get the guy from Northwestern.....

WR, if fields keeps this up you could settle for a B tier FA like DJ Chark to help the core out.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Move Borom to LT and he and Jones can compete next year. Sign Conklin to play RT.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Braxton Jones has to improve a lot to remain the starting LT(especially against a bull rush). I don't hate Braxton Jones as LT, and even though he's done objectively well as a 5th round pick, he's had his struggles. And he had his struggles in this game, too. He had 2 really bad snaps back to back in the 2nd half. I think our gameplanning and playcalling has done a better job of masking our oline deficiencies.

I feel like Reiff has been pretty good at RT, too. Have never really been sold on Borom.

If we could get 2 starting caliber linemen from the draft/FA. I would be consider that a win. I wouldn't hate if we got 3-4, though.
A LT can be taught how to handle a bull rush

Forty-six

Liked Posts:
This offseason the priorities should be viewed in this order...

1. O-line
2. WR's
3. TE
4. D-line

The Bears' identity is moving away a dominating defense to a dynamic offense run by one of the best athletes at the QB position in the NFL. This means the majority of the draft and salary cap capital should be spent on the offensive side of the ball to ensure that Fields has everything that he needs to become a top 10 QB. If you want to win a Super Bowl in the modern NFL you need a top 10 QB and an explosive offense. The defense needs to be just good enough.

I hope Poles spends most of his draft picks and money on improving the O-line and getting a stud wide receiver and maybe another TE. Kmet is coming along. Brady (historically) and Mahomes' (current) success is due in large part to having a major threat at the TE position.

Last edited:

mecha

Liked Posts:
This offseason the priorities should be viewed in this order...

1. O-line
2. WR's
3. TE
4. D-line

The Bears' identity is moving away a dominating defense to a dynamic offense run by one of the best athletes at the QB position in the NFL. This means the majority of the draft and salary cap capital should be spent on the offensive side of the ball to ensure that Fields has everything that he needs to become a top 10 QB. If you want to win a Super Bowl in the modern NFL you need a top 10 QB and an explosive offense. The defense needs to be just good enough.

I hope Poles spends most of his draft picks and money on improving the O-line and getting a stud wide receiver and maybe another TE. Kmet is coming along. Brady and Mahomes' success is due in large part to having a major threat at the TE position.
you know how the Bears can win more games?

with a defense that forces 3+ turnovers a game. 1) you're taking the ball away from their offense and nullifying their ability to score points 2) perhaps you can score points with these turnovers 3) the Bears offense is going toe to toe with other teams offenses and they're still losing games because the real blemish on the team is the defense.

this is what happens when you unload expensive good players. it's not rocket science.

1. D-line
2. WRs
3. O-line
4. TE

in that order. thanks

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

mecha

Liked Posts:
Personally, my order of importance goes DL, WR, OL. This team desperately needs a pass rush. Next up is figuring out a 3rd WR beyond Claypool and Mooney.
YES. I knew I could count on you to see everything correctly.

these mooks that think the O-line is the problem are mental defectives.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Personally, my order of importance goes DL, WR, OL. This team desperately needs a pass rush. Next up is figuring out a 3rd WR beyond Claypool and Mooney.
Our lack of a pass rush right now is a HUGE problem. We need at least 3 starting DL for next year.

Forty-six

Liked Posts:
you know how the Bears can win more games?

with a defense that forces 3+ turnovers a game. 1) you're taking the ball away from their offense and nullifying their ability to score points 2) perhaps you can score points with these turnovers 3) the Bears offense is going toe to toe with other teams offenses and they're still losing games because the real blemish on the team is the defense.

this is what happens when you unload expensive good players. it's not rocket science.

1. D-line
2. WRs
3. O-line
4. TE

in that order. thanks

Being a defensive orientated organization has won the Bears exactly one Super Bowl over the past 37 years. And in the vast majority of that span the Bears have been largely irrelevant. Almost every single major rules change over the past 10 years has favored the offensive side of the ball. The modern NFL wants points.

It's time to invest on the offensive side of the ball. I agree with you that the T.O. battle is hugely important. Philly's +/- ratio is currently the best in the league and they are undefeated. However, you can also win a lot of games by NOT turning ball over. I'm ready for a different approach.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Being a defensive orientated organization has won the Bears exactly one Super Bowl over the past 37 years. And in the vast majority of that span the Bears have been largely irrelevant. Almost every single major rules change over the past 10 years has favored the offensive side of the ball. The modern NFL wants points.

It's time to invest on the offensive side of the ball. I agree with you that the T.O. battle is hugely important. Philly's +/- ratio is currently the best in the league and they are undefeated. However, you can also win a lot of games by NOT turning ball over. I'm ready for a different approach.
remember the 2013 season, the #1 offense Broncos vs. the #1 defense Seahawks? tell me again how that turned out.

2006 Bears would've won that Super Bowl if they would've stuck to the run in the rain. instead they had moron inept Grossman throwing it into the hands of Colts defenders. are you seeing the pattern yet?