OLINE

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Braxton Jones probably had his best week and the closest to putting together a full game the way real LT’s in the league can, but that’s really not saying much because he’s a liability in pass protection, and probably needs to be kicked inside to guard if you’re going to consider him as a future starter.

For him to be starting for me he has to flat out dominate the rest of the way. Been 9 weeks, don’t see it happening. If you’re bad enough for Skoronski, run to the podium.

Absolutely keep Reiff starting the rest of the way.

OL is still a bigger priority than DL, and WR is 3. OL is 1a and DL is 1b. You can buy plenty of good DL this spring. You can still draft do mid rounds and early beyond. You just bought Claypool. Can’t buy a LT.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Braxton Jones probably had his best week and the closest to putting together a full game the way real LT’s in the league can, but that’s really not saying much because he’s a liability in pass protection, and probably needs to be kicked inside to guard if you’re going to consider him as a future starter.

For him to be starting for me he has to flat out dominate the rest of the way. Been 9 weeks, don’t see it happening. If you’re bad enough for Skoronski, run to the podium.

Absolutely keep Reiff starting the rest of the way.

OL is still a bigger priority than DL, and WR is 3. OL is 1a and DL is 1b. You can buy plenty of good DL this spring. You can still draft do mid rounds and early beyond. You just bought Claypool. Can’t buy a LT.

Jones has potential to be a quality left tackle. He's a rookie, from a small school. He is definitely not a guard. He needs to get stronger and improve his technique, especially against the bull rush. He's the best rookie tackle. Expecting him to not have some struggles blocking on an island as a rookie is totally unrealistic. He is definitely not a liability. Just a young player with plenty of upside.

Caveroamer

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Number 1 priority has to be center. Your center anchors your line not your LT. Look how good the Bears OL was with Olin being a constant.

Highest rated Center hitting FA this year is Erik McCoy of the Saints. age 24
according to the NFL.com article 4 of the top 10 FAs in 2023 are O-line. No others are in the top 25.
Quenton Nelson (Ind) age 26 OG
Orlando Brown (KC) age 26 OT
Erik McCoy (NO) age 24 C
Elgton James (GB) age 26 OL

source: Top 25 NFL free agents in 2023: Prospective class headlined by Lamar Jackson and Tom Brady

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
OLine has some pieces you can work with, no doubt. But, they need to invest more into it to help guarantee you protect for your franchise QB. I’d like to see the bears dip into this supposedly strong FA class of Olinemen.

DLine needs to be addressed via FA and early draft picks

WR use a mid round pick on…and preferably not another senior citizen with no hands

greg23

Liked Posts:
The entire group in the bears front 7 are complimentary players at best (most are better as limited backups)

There is a lot of work to be done with that group......they might not get 10-12 sacks as a group the rest of the season

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Said it many times here but the online isn't that far away. Definitely need a center.

The biggest needs are 3 technique and edge rusher. That has to be the focus. Then linebacker. If they can find an elite receiver, great. I want to see Claypool over the rest of the season.

But right now if I'm choosing between a d-lineman and a receiver in the draft, I'm going d-line.
All things being equal, I'd go choose WR 10/10 over any other position on the field right now. If you could find a true #1 WR in the draft ala what the Bengals did with Burrow and Chase, or what MIA did with Waddle and Tua, that is the ideal scenario.

Will Anderson is maybe the only defensive player I'd run to the podium for if he were available. I hear people talking about Jalen Carter, but it's hard to get excited about a guy with only 1 sack on the season.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
All things being equal, I'd go choose WR 10/10 over any other position on the field right now. If you could find a true #1 WR in the draft ala what the Bengals did with Burrow and Chase, or what MIA did with Waddle and Tua, that is the ideal scenario.

Will Anderson is maybe the only defensive player I'd run to the podium for if he were available. I hear people talking about Jalen Carter, but it's hard to get excited about a guy with only 1 sack on the season.
I’d rather the bears get Jalen Carter than Will Anderson

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
You can't essentially trade Roquan for Claypool then turn around and prioritize DL over OL. Frankly, DL needs a large influx of talent. The Bears have no pass rush. They have serviceable players in Gipson, Jones and Robinson, but clearly need an influx of high level talent on the DL. But you have to protect Fields after you watch him running for his life this year. This style of play is fun as hell, but not sustainable long-term. Got him a weapon, now get him some protection.

I'm fine with Jones at LT. But you have to upgrade RT. Realistically, the Bears are probably going to write off this season for Patrick as him not ever being healthy. Jones was also handpicked by this regime, so he gets a spot on the OL. Hopefully, whatever went on with Jenkins is squashed due to him being the best OL on the team all year. I'd problem get rid of Whitehair too, even though I do like him. So, then you only really have 2 spots to upgrade (instead of 1 if you keep Whitehair).

I like Elgton Jenkins because he gives you versatility. If he stays healthy the rest of this year, I'd feel pretty good about him going forward. He's a guy you can add in free agency and then just draft the best OL you can find. If you can get an LT in the top 10, you take him and move Jones to RT and E Jenkins to LG, where he has played pro bowl level football. If you go elsewhere in the 1st round, you can add an interior guy later and have E Jenkins at RT, where he's played a bunch as well.

Jones, Day 2 pick, Patrick, T Jenkins, E Jenkins- young on the left side, but you can help that way and the right side should be strong.

OR

Top 10 pick, E Jenkins, Patrick, T Jenkins, Jones - strong run blocking right side, Elgton next to the rookie to stablize that side.

Add a veteran with some G/C flexibility along with Borom at swing OT, and you have a solid 7-deep and may the best guys win depth jobs between the guys the Bears drafted late last year and hopefully in 2023.

BearClaw55

GO BEARS
Donator
Liked Posts:

How are we feeling about Braxton Jones? Are you good if he’s the LT next year?

Keep Reiff at RT the rest of the season?

Is OLINE a greater priority than WR and DLINE? Equal priority? Lower?

Braxton Jones gets pushed backwards too much for me. Getsy is mitigating Braxton Jones deficiencies with his play calling (running & quick passing game). The Bears need to find a big time LT, resign Rieff and let him compete with Braxton Jones for the RT spot. Loser goes to the swing/backup tackle spot. And, move Broom inside.

If not Fields will never be able to sit comfortably in the pocket on obvious passing downs over 7 to 10 yards.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Braxton Jones gets pushed backwards too much for me. Getsy is mitigating Braxton Jones deficiencies with his play calling (running & quick passing game). The Bears need to find a big time LT, resign Rieff and let him compete with Braxton Jones for the RT spot. Loser goes to the swing/backup tackle spot. And, move Broom inside.

If not Fields will never be able to sit comfortably in the pocket on obvious passing downs over 7 to 10 yards.
I agree with this. That said, Braxton is a rookie. There is reason to think he can improve on this

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yes we all know that the bull rushes are his biggest issue and have been talking about after every single game. He's played well enough to get the start the rest of this year and if he can keep playing like he's been then he deserves the offseason to fix his lower body strength and start next year IMO.

By well enough you mean being top 5 in the NFL in pressures given up?

Doesnt mean he shouldnt start or have a chance to win the job next year but he is not a good pass blocker right now.

BearClaw55

GO BEARS
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with this. That said, Braxton is a rookie. There is reason to think he can improve on this

I do think he will improve but he was a 5th round pick for a reason. Being decent enough to plug in I think is his ceiling. The Bears should aspire for a PB type player at the LT position. Braxton Jones is boardline “just ok”, pushing to be solidly “just ok”.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

1) Olumuyiwa Fashanu, Penn State​

"......he’s advanced well beyond his years, with strong and independent hands, smooth footwork, synergetic technique, and awe-inspiring patience and discipline."

2) Paris Johnson Jr., Ohio State​

"Johnson remains a first-round OT prospect because of his explosive athleticism, length and power capacity, grating physicality, and flexibility as a moving blocker."

Top 10 OTs in the 2023 NFL Draft:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
This offseason the priorities should be viewed in this order...

1. O-line
2. WR's
3. TE
4. D-line

The Bears' identity is moving away a dominating defense to a dynamic offense run by one of the best athletes at the QB position in the NFL. This means the majority of the draft and salary cap capital should be spent on the offensive side of the ball to ensure that Fields has everything that he needs to become a top 10 QB. If you want to win a Super Bowl in the modern NFL you need a top 10 QB and an explosive offense. The defense needs to be just good enough.

I hope Poles spends most of his draft picks and money on improving the O-line and getting a stud wide receiver and maybe another TE. Kmet is coming along. Brady (historically) and Mahomes' (current) success is due in large part to having a major threat at the TE position.

It’s so easy to find an all-pro TE!

Keep in mind, Brady won 3 SB’s with aging vets or journeymen TE’s early in his career

And DL is the biggest need. It’s not even close.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
I’d rather the bears get Jalen Carter than Will Anderson
No way. The sack production just isn't there for me. He's way too much of a gamble to be drafted so high. Anderson is an athletic freak AND has the production to back it up.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jones has potential to be a quality left tackle. He's a rookie, from a small school. He is definitely not a guard. He needs to get stronger and improve his technique, especially against the bull rush. He's the best rookie tackle. Expecting him to not have some struggles blocking on an island as a rookie is totally unrealistic. He is definitely not a liability. Just a young player with plenty of upside.

He has given up the 3rd most pressures, 8th most sacks and has the 2nd worst pass block efficiency in NFL. He is 100% a liability.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I would like for them to sign a top free agent tackle this off season and have Jones play the other OT position with Borom moving to right guard. Also sign a good center and TE free agent. I would use the draft to go for Defensive linemen and lbs along with two wide receivers.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:

Not coming at you, but it sounds like you’ve never seen Carter play. He’s been injured this year-don’t judge it on the stat sheet. He had the highest pressure rate out of anyone on UGA’s historic D front from last season, a few of who were drafted in the 1st round.

Ceiling is insane and a generational type talent, imo. He’s the real deal.