OLINE

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I think the line has played better as of late but a major issue is that this is mostly due to design of plays. There are much more quicker passes, moving the pocket.

The O line has played well but they can't run a full drop back offense because of the O line. Reiff has looked significantly better than borom. I'd still be happy if they drafted a LT round 1.

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
you know how the Bears can win more games?

with a defense that forces 3+ turnovers a game. 1) you're taking the ball away from their offense and nullifying their ability to score points 2) perhaps you can score points with these turnovers 3) the Bears offense is going toe to toe with other teams offenses and they're still losing games because the real blemish on the team is the defense.

this is what happens when you unload expensive good players. it's not rocket science.

1. D-line
2. WRs
3. O-line
4. TE

in that order. thanks
1a. D-line
1b. D-line
2. OL

This team is not going anywhere if they cannot get consistent pressure on the QB and stop the run.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
No way. The sack production just isn't there for me. He's way too much of a gamble to be drafted so high. Anderson is an athletic freak AND has the production to back it up.
Carters job isn’t to get sacks

And Anderson got absolutely shut down against Tennessee, whereas Carter was the biggest factor of why Georgia crushed Tennessee. Not that 1 game is everything, but the impact is obvious when watching him play vs just looking at the sack total

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Carters job isn’t to get sacks

And Anderson got absolutely shut down against Tennessee, whereas Carter was the biggest factor of why Georgia crushed Tennessee. Not that 1 game is everything, but the impact is obvious when watching him play vs just looking at the sack total
Yeah I actually only saw a few plays from Carter but he was manhandling Tennessee OL each time I looked and saw him.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:

1) Olumuyiwa Fashanu, Penn State​

"......he’s advanced well beyond his years, with strong and independent hands, smooth footwork, synergetic technique, and awe-inspiring patience and discipline."

2) Paris Johnson Jr., Ohio State​

"Johnson remains a first-round OT prospect because of his explosive athleticism, length and power capacity, grating physicality, and flexibility as a moving blocker."

Top 10 OTs in the 2023 NFL Draft:

I would be ecstatic if we drafted Fashanu. Just only 19 years old.

NE.Rugger

Liked Posts:
LT: I like Braxton Jones. 5th round rookie from a smaller conference, so I'd expect a learning curve. He seems to stay in front of his guy but gets pushed back right into the QBs lap. Give him an offseason to bulk up and work on his anchor. Come in and rewin the offseason, great. A rookie comes in and out preforms him, possibly even better with plus depth.

LG: Cody whitehair is cody whitehair. Don't create a hole until you have a replacement in house. Could be an injury trade bait if you find an upgrade.

C: Priority FA vs Rookie vs L.Patrick
Give me someone smart with that mean nasty edge next to Teven.

RG: Set and forget

RT: Is Conklin still a mean SOB? Add a FA. Add a rookie. Again physical players with edge to pair with Teven and hopefully a physical center. Borom can compete, likely swing.

#1 solidify the oline #2build the dline #3 offensive support #4 back 7 of D

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Jones has potential to be a quality left tackle. He's a rookie, from a small school. He is definitely not a guard. He needs to get stronger and improve his technique, especially against the bull rush.
Sorry, I'm just tired of the excuses. We did this with J'Marcus Webb, Frank Omiyale, and Charles Leno. We got one good year of Bushrod before we started doing the same for him too.

'All he needs to do is work on this.' 'He's from a small school.' 'He has to improve his technique.' 'He's got to get better acclimated with the scheme.'

Same old horseshit at the second most important position after QB this franchise refuses to value and we see the ceiling of that be an average starter who looks good when the QB rolls the other way (mainly because your eye isn't watching him so you assume its a good block) to a floor of being a revolving turnstile. Fields has saved his ass from looking stupid with his legs frequently.

Meanwhile the Vikes (Darrisaw), Bolts (SLater), and Bucs (Wirfs) are 3 recent examples of doing the unsexy thing, taking the best OT prospect, plugging him AT the OT spot/not getting cute and moving them around, and letting them play--and its crazy--because they aren't making constant excuses the way fans of this franchise have done since John Tait--because they don't need to--because those players dominated and blocked everything no matter if it was a run or pass situation.

Go get one of those type-players. You should be able to next spring. Then instead of watching Jones take a shit and Fields getting blindsided--we see Fields get one of those rare 3+ second pockets we see plenty of other QBs get against this team. Would love to know how high Fields' ceiling can be when he doesn't have to run for his damn life all the time or be the most sacked/pressured QB in the NFL.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Braxton Jones has to improve a lot to remain the starting LT(especially against a bull rush). I don't hate Braxton Jones as LT, and even though he's done objectively well as a 5th round pick, he's had his struggles. And he had his struggles in this game, too. He had 2 really bad snaps back to back in the 2nd half. I think our gameplanning and playcalling has done a better job of masking our oline deficiencies.

I feel like Reiff has been pretty good at RT, too. Have never really been sold on Borom.

If we could get 2 starting caliber linemen from the draft/FA. I would be consider that a win. I wouldn't hate if we got 3-4, though.
This.

It’s strange how people here have fallen for the narrative that he has done really well.

I think he may develop into a good tackle over time, but he’s absolutely not of a caliber that we should be expecting him to win or hold the starting position going into next year.

Prior to yesterday the Bears offensive line was on pace to allow 65 sacks while the defense of line was on pace to get 16. It’s very clear where the priorities are in the draft and free agency.

Which would explain why Ryan Poles was scouting two offensive linemen on Saturday while watching Ohio State versus Northwestern.

Last edited:

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Sorry, I'm just tired of the excuses. We did this with J'Marcus Webb, Frank Omiyale, and Charles Leno. We got one good year of Bushrod before we started doing the same for him too.

'All he needs to do is work on this.' 'He's from a small school.' 'He has to improve his technique.' 'He's got to get better acclimated with the scheme.'

Same old horseshit at the second most important position after QB this franchise refuses to value and we see the ceiling of that be an average starter who looks good when the QB rolls the other way (mainly because your eye isn't watching him so you assume its a good block) to a floor of being a revolving turnstile. Fields has saved his ass from looking stupid with his legs frequently.

Meanwhile the Vikes (Darrisaw), Bolts (SLater), and Bucs (Wirfs) are 3 recent examples of doing the unsexy thing, taking the best OT prospect, plugging him AT the OT spot/not getting cute and moving them around, and letting them play--and its crazy--because they aren't making constant excuses the way fans of this franchise have done since John Tait--because they don't need to--because those players dominated and blocked everything no matter if it was a run or pass situation.

Go get one of those type-players. You should be able to next spring. Then instead of watching Jones take a shit and Fields getting blindsided--we see Fields get one of those rare 3+ second pockets we see plenty of other QBs get against this team. Would love to know how high Fields' ceiling can be when he doesn't have to run for his damn life all the time or be the most sacked/pressured QB in the NFL.

I’m certainly not opposed to drafting a tackle high in the draft. If the Bears are still around the 7-12 range there should be a good one there. There seems to be at least 3 tackles the draft people are liking at the moment.

But I’m also going to trust Poles on his eval of Jones. The Packers got themselves a damn fine tackle in Bakhtiari in the 4th. And it took him a few years before he started going to pro bowls.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yes we all know that the bull rushes are his biggest issue and have been talking about after every single game. He's played well enough to get the start the rest of this year and if he can keep playing like he's been then he deserves the offseason to fix his lower body strength and start next year IMO.
I don’t understand your thinking that “he deserves“ anything. He has not been anywhere near as good as you make him out to be, and the front office can’t go into the off-season feeling someone deserves a chance to get better while passing up opportunities to improve that position.

What do you do after the off-season if he hasn’t gotten better? you can’t draft somebody in the fall. you can’t sign a free agent in the fall.

He hasn’t earned anything. he has been somewhat less horrible than our center which does not make center a top priority on the offensive line.

Yes we definitely need someone new at center, but no GM would ever prioritize center over left tackle.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This.

It’s strange how people here have fallen for the narrative that he has done really well.

I think he may develop into a good tackle over time, but he’s absolutely not of a caliber that we should be expecting him to win or hold the starting position going into next year.

Prior to yesterday the Bears offensive line was on pace to allow 65 sacks while the defense of line was on pace to get 16. It’s very clear where the priorities are in the draft and free agency.

Which would explain why Ryan polls were scouting to offense of lineman on Saturday while watching Ohio State versus Northwestern.

OSU is loaded. I’m sure he was scouting oline along with several other positions

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:
Nah constantly gets pushed back. Fields has escaped a lot of sacks that would otherwise cone from Jones. He has almost 3 times as many pressures as any other lineman.
He's a rookie. Is his needle pointing up? Because an off season in the weight room could work wonders and even a slightly better version of him next year is probably sufficient.

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:
I’d rather the bears get Jalen Carter than Will Anderson
How's his knee (don't have details but heard it's an issue)? The Bears can't afford a first rounder with potentially career limiting health issues and knee issues always scare me.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
How's his knee (don't have details but heard it's an issue)? The Bears can't afford a first rounder with potentially career limiting health issues and knee issues always scare me.
Seemed to be just fine on Saturday against Tennessee. He wrecked Tennessee run game and was constantly pushing the pocket directly into Hendon Hookers face

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:
1a. D-line
1b. D-line
2. OL

This team is not going anywhere if they cannot get consistent pressure on the QB and stop the run.
^ This. Look for an elite WR in 2024 if the offense needs to take that next step. Would also add.... 3. OL

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

How are we feeling about Braxton Jones? Are you good if he’s the LT next year?

Keep Reiff at RT the rest of the season?

Is OLINE a greater priority than WR and DLINE? Equal priority? Lower?
Reiff is doing better than I expected and appears to be a step up from Borom so far. Not that I love Borom but don't think especially highly of Reiff. He's been pretty solid. Jones gets a couple/few bull rushes every game that look bad but his technique is pretty sound and he has the frame to add enough by next year to be pretty good and only get better thereafter. Mustipher continues to be a problem on a straight drop. I have no idea if Eiselen can handle everything a C has to do but he's stout and I'd like to get a look.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He's a rookie. Is his needle pointing up? Because an off season in the weight room could work wonders and even a slightly better version of him next year is probably sufficient.
Don’t you think he’s been in the weight room throughout his college career? Don’t you think all other offensive lineman who are currently better than him will also be in the weight room?