Olsen: Burfict should be suspended for planned ankle-twisting

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Olsen: Burfict should be suspended for planned ankle-twisting

Carolina Panthers tight end Greg Olsen called for the NFL to suspend Cincinnati linebacker Vontaze Burfict after the oft-fined player twisted the ankles of Panthers quarterback Cam Newton and Olsen following touchdowns during the 37-37 tie Sunday, Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer reports.

TV replays showed Burfict twisting their ankles after making tackles on Newton and Olsen in the end zone following second-half touchdowns. Both players are coming off ankle injuries.

Burfict was not penalized on either play, but Olsen said his intent was clear.

“In instances like that that are so clearly premeditated, that he had in his mind that if he had those opportunities that he was going to try to attack guys’ legs, but guys who are coming off ankle problems specifically, there’s no room for it,” Olsen said Monday.

“And I think the punishment needs to go beyond a fine. Guys like that don’t learn from that stuff. He’s been fined 100 times for head-hunting and he did it to (receiver) Kelvin (Benjamin) again. You watch the film, it’s just what he is.”

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Panthers’ Greg Olsen: NFL should suspend ankle-twisting Vontaze Burfict

C6yeZ.Em.138.jpeg

UYksW.Em.138.jpeg

Carolina Panthers tight end Greg Olsen called for the NFL to suspend Cincinnati linebacker Vontaze Burfict after the oft-fined player twisted the ankles of Panthers quarterback Cam Newton and Olsen after touchdowns during Sunday’s 37-all tie.

TV replays showed Burfict twisting their ankles after making tackles on Newton and Olsen in the end zone after second-half touchdowns. Both players are coming off ankle injuries.

Burfict was not penalized on either play, but Olsen said his intent was clear.

“In instances like that that are so clearly premeditated, that he had in his mind that if he had those opportunities that he was going to try to attack guys’ legs, but guys who are coming off ankle problems specifically, there’s no room for it,” Olsen said Monday.

“And I think the punishment needs to go beyond a fine. Guys like that don’t learn from that stuff. He’s been fined 100 times for head-hunting, and he did it to (receiver) Kelvin (Benjamin) again. You watch the film; it’s just what he is.”

Here is a more condemning 3 frame look. Notice Olsen initially down without #Burfict grabbing ankle. pic.twitter.com/AubEQdX81c
— Jeremy Igo (@CarolinaHuddle) October 13, 2014

Newton had offseason surgery on his left ankle, which is the one Burfict grabbed in Sunday’s game. Olsen sustained an ankle injury in a Week 5 win against Chicago and missed two practices last week as a result.

Burfict twice last season was fined $21,000 for hits on receivers – one of whom was current Panthers practice squad wideout Stephen Hill – and was assessed a $10,000 fine for striking Green Bay tight end Ryan Taylor in the groin.

Hill, who was with the Jets when Burfict hit him with the crown of his helmet, said he wasn’t sure whether Burfict had done it intentionally.

Panthers coach Ron Rivera indicated he planned to send tape of Burfict’s actions to the league office this week.

Olsen said if the league is serious about player safety, it needs to crack down on players who are intentionally trying to hurt opponents.

“At some point, if the NFL wants to really say they care about guys’ safety, they’ve got to start putting guys out for weeks because me and Cam were lucky we weren’t out for weeks, or Kelvin’s out for weeks,” Olsen said. “If you’re going to start putting guys on other teams’ out, then the ramifications need to equal that.”

Olsen was asked whether he thought Burfict was a dirty player.

“He’s a hard-nosed player. I think his style of game is what he is,” he said. “I think that’s why he knocks himself out half the time.”

Burfict has missed two games this season after sustaining concussions and left Sunday’s game against Carolina with a head injury before returning.

Burfict had two personal fouls against the Panthers – an unnecessary roughness penalty for a hit on Benjamin and a roughing the passer flag when he hit Newton out of bounds.

But the plays when Burfict appeared to intentionally injure Newton and Olsen are what irked Olsen.

“Football is a high-speed game and things happen – helmet-to-helmet collisions, late hits, tackles out of bounds. In the heat of the moment stuff like that happens,” Olsen said. “But I think when play’s over, two players are laying in the end zone and you happen to have their legs and you start cranking, I think that’s a whole different animal.”

Olsen, who had both his ankles taped Monday, said Burfict did not twist the ankle Olsen injured previously.

“Nah, he didn’t know which leg he had. He got the other one, thankfully. If he’d gotten the other one it would have been tough because he was cranking on them,” Olsen said. “The videos are pretty clear. We’ve all seen them.”
Person: 704-358-5123; Twitter: @josephperson

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...en-nfl-should.html#.VDxN2u8tDX4#storylink=cpy

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Yep.. Guy wasn't drafted because he had a "bad combine" workout right... some people don't get it. He's good but he's a guy teams were aware could be a little unwise in actions sometimes.

Sent from my 20CDCTO1WW using Tapatalk

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
I don't care if this was done 'back in the day'. It's horseshit bush league stuff that can end careers. Burfict needs a 6 game suspension for this to send a message.

And besides, his first name is stupid and the pronunciation in relation to how it is spelled is even more dumb

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
You know, a poster was right about this guy all along.

NSR or FD

Liked Posts:
While his technique is far from admirable, that is a straight up jits ankle lock that can pop bones. Dirty bastard.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Funny part is he twisted the wrong leg.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't care if this was done 'back in the day'. It's horseshit bush league stuff that can end careers. Burfict needs a 6 game suspension for this to send a message.

And besides, his first name is stupid and the pronunciation in relation to how it is spelled is even more dumb

I don't see domestic abuse on the same level as this. In fact he won't see a suspension. It will be a fine.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Send a competent fullback to put him on his ass the whole game and he should disappear quickly.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
Burfict was one of the dirtiest players I've seen at the high school and college levels. Doesn't surprise me that he's playing like this now.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Its so fucking stupid too because the kid can clearly play and play well. There is no need to stoop to this level but clearly he has.