OT: Bitcoin salary..

Bolek

Liked Posts:
He's very smart if so. I do a lot of crypto, including mining, and over the next year BTC is likely to increase at least 5-fold.
what do you think about Digibyte? Im trying to setup a DGB mining Rig using Skein, but its been challenging. What do you mine?

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Meh... I think some harsh oversight is coming for "bitcoin". Not sure governments like the notion of unregulated, anonymous currency. When the hammer falls, things will change.

Or, I'm wrong. >shrugs<

CygnusX44

Bulgogi Apparatus
Liked Posts:
I’m confused. This is Dark Elf Wizard +6 intelligence stuff. I’m just thinking about lunch options.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Smart at this point in his career, curious what the RoE language in contract is - if he’s shrewd he used beginning of league year (and not date of payment) as the set RoE and he would be effectively earning interest on his salary before it was even paid to him.

Last edited:

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Meh... I think some harsh oversight is coming for "bitcoin". Not sure governments like the notion of unregulated, anonymous currency. When the hammer falls, things will change.

Or, I'm wrong. >shrugs<
They’re certainly going to try. The beauty of crypto currency is the lack of central banking and all of the corruption of political spending. This in turn leads to the value of currency being debased and devalued. I believe the value of the dollar has lost 99% of its value since the Federal Reserve was instituted as compared to its value relative to gold.

The flip side of course is crypto can be wildly erratic and speculative. But, as federal spending keeps going up and the debt goes up (were at around 25 trillion right?), the chances of the dollar crashing go up. That is why bitcoins will go up in value.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
They’re certainly going to try. The beauty of crypto currency is the lack of central banking and all of the corruption of political spending. This in turn leads to the value of currency being debased and devalued. I believe the value of the dollar has lost 99% of its value since the Federal Reserve was instituted as compared to its value relative to gold.

The flip side of course is crypto can be wildly erratic and speculative. But, as federal spending keeps going up and the debt goes up (were at around 25 trillion right?), the chances of the dollar crashing go up. That is why bitcoins will go up in value.
Heh, you talk about removing corruption but you land directly on the organized crime lap. Instead of shipping $75million to Honduras, you simply send $75 million in bit coin all anon like.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Heh, you talk about removing corruption but you land directly on the organized crime lap. Instead of shipping $75million to Honduras, you simply send $75 million in bit coin all anon like.
I was more referring to the debasement of the currency and politicians of both parties not addressing it because it is easier to get re-elected by telling people they will get ‘free stuff.’ But it’s not free. You can’t buy as much with dollars as you once could, and that makes people poorer.

Im not an expert in alternatives, so I really don’t have a solution on how to fix it, including on if Bitcoin is that solution.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

Or, I'm wrong. >shrugs<
It's nearly impossible with crypto - makes me a fan. People have been saying what you're saying for about 10 years.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

Or, I'm wrong. >shrugs<

oversight from whomst?! The government?! The same government that is in wall streets pockets, the same Wall Street institutional money that is currently gobbling up Bitcoin?! Yeah, the politicians that are bought out aren’t going to bite the hand that feeds them

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's very smart if so. I do a lot of crypto, including mining, and over the next year BTC is likely to increase at least 5-fold.
Probably not the right forum, maybe it is.. how does mining work these days? In early days it was a PC with a high end GPU, I assume that's all farmed out now to open source server farm out there in the ethers?

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I was going to buy about 5k worth of Bitcoin in the summer of 2010 when 1 coin was worth $0.0008. Decided not to. Now it’s up to around $23,000. We’re talking a few hundred million dollars of growth, I believe. Damn it.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I'm not a fan of crypto currency.

It's really not a currency. It's not readily accepted meaning you can't pay your rent/mortgage or buy groceries with it. Some of the specific currencies aren't very liquid, so they could be trapped. This has become an issue with the Estate & Trust side since people who own crypto have died and their estate has no way of accessing the crypto to get it over to the beneficiaries.

One other looming issue is regulation. As much as we hate the banks for taking pennies at every turn they do provide countries with meaningful oversight of where money is flowing and preventing criminals from taking illegally earned money and 'washing' it. Currently there aren't any rules with crypto and when it comes there will be a massive exodus of people looking to pull their money out, which will cause a 'crash'.

Finally, I see it as a highly speculative investment without any of the investor protections that typically come with that world. If you wanted to go onto a direct brokerage and invest in risky stuff you still have to go through a client questionnaire outlining that you know it's an investment and can lose your money. With crypto there's none of that. The volatility is nuts! On March 16th a unit of Bitcoin was $5,024. Not it's 26,345! That's a 525% return, which looks great, but we have to understand it can easily come down as fast. If you look back at the history back in Dec 15th of 2017 that same Bitcoin was worth $19,650. Almost a year after that (Dec. 8th, 2018) it was $3,400. That's an 83% drop and many people ran into the 'currency' with the same level of excitement that's happening now.

My personal thoughts on crypto is that they are a highly speculative, illiquid investment which should only be a small part of your portfolio. I'd add if you weren't already invested you probably missed the upswing AND if you participated in the upswing I'd sell while you are ahead.

I've seem many people erode their life savings with these types of 'investments'.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I was going to buy about 5k worth of Bitcoin in the summer of 2010 when 1 coin was worth $0.0008. Decided not to. Now it’s up to around $23,000. We’re talking a few hundred million dollars of growth, I believe. Damn it.
Those stories are everywhere for every industry. If you are looking for the next investment that will grow to crazy exponential levels then you will also pick a lot of investments that will fail.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The volatility is nuts! On March 16th a unit of Bitcoin was $5,024. Not it's 26,345! That's a 525% return, which looks great, but we have to understand it can easily come down as fast. If you look back at the history back in Dec 15th of 2017 that same Bitcoin was worth $19,650. Almost a year after that (Dec. 8th, 2018) it was $3,400. That's an 83% drop and many people ran into the 'currency' with the same level of excitement that's happening now.

My personal thoughts on crypto is that they are a highly speculative, illiquid investment which should only be a small part of your portfolio. I'd add if you weren't already invested you probably missed the upswing AND if you participated in the upswing I'd sell while you are ahead.

I've seem many people erode their life savings with these types of 'investments'.

Yeah truth on the Volatility - it's happened. BUT you can say that about the regulated stock market too, as well as being highly speculative liken to IPOs and penny stocks.

I'm not sure if I'd take the full 6.5M in bitcoin, but investing isn't a bad idea.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Those stories are everywhere for every industry. If you are looking for the next investment that will grow to crazy exponential levels then you will also pick a lot of investments that will fail.
I understand that. I’m no expert on investing, I’m a lawyer by trade. But damn it, that was one of the few investments I almost made that would’ve paid off. C’est la vie though.

Your other points are extremely valid, but I believe the chance of the dollar crashing is a very real possibility in the near future. You can’t float that amount of debt by just issuing treasuries without the Jenga tower eventually falling.

Last edited: