OT: Bitcoin salary..

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I appreciate the story, and it is sad. Diversification is always key. It is always risky to put all your eggs in one basket, just as it is I’ll-advised to gamble your life savings on one bet at a sports book.

I totally agree with you on gold. It is real money, in that it has withstood the test of time. Unlike currency, gold is always valuable, because the metal has intrinsic value in and of itself.
I do have a follow up question on your thoughts on money. Governments have always printed money. Weather it's to counter population growth or to provide some theoretical economic stimulis/liquidity. Anyway, typically there's a reason. Why do you think it's going to come to an end?

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I do have a follow up question on your thoughts on money. Governments have always printed money. Weather it's to counter population growth or to provide some theoretical economic stimulis/liquidity. Anyway, typically there's a reason. Why do you think it's going to come to an end?
I don’t think it will, at least not anytime soon. When the dollar crashes, another paper (maybe digital?!) currency will take its place. Governments love centralized banking premised on currency because that allows the politicians to promise as many things as they want to get re-elected without living up to eventual consequences. Just print currency, elect me, and I’ll promise you whatever I can to get another term.

At least when the dollar was backed by gold, it served as a kind of ‘chaperone’ to the dollar. Now it’s not backed by anything. It’s paper, fiat currency. And every single case of fiat currency in history has at some point gone to zero.

I think it will have to take, unfortunately, a disaster for the public to demand sound money. Because if the dollar crashes, it’ll make 2009 look like a picnic. I really really hope I’m wrong, but 25 trillion or whatever of debt just isn’t sustainable. The bill always comes due at some point.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
LOL @ some of the "interesting" takes on treasury securities and fiscal policy in this thread. Chinar gonna call in da debt!!1!

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seems dumb and like hes helping the org.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
LOL @ some of the "interesting" takes on treasury securities and fiscal policy in this thread. Chinar gonna call in da debt!!1!
You disagree that it is not possible to pay back the debt, especially as it keeps going up exponentially?

Bitcoin is interesting, I just don’t know enough about it really to know if that will be sustainable either.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
I mine Ethereum and margin trade it. I have 60 GPUs running 24/7 and I mine around .25 ETH/Day. While in previous cycles BTC and mostly every other coin were pure speculation. This time, the list of institutions making VERY large investments grows by the day. There are only 21 M BTC. Ever. Nearly 5M have been lost and will likely never be recovered. I own a very large tranche of BTC mining stocks, and they have 10x since I purchased them mid-year. BTC is extremely liquid, it is absolutely tracked, and it is immutable. Every major government around the world is currently creating their own CBDC. Don't you think the US would love to know EXACTLY how many USD you hold, and where? In 15 years you won't touch a piece of cash. Traders' current second favorite play? Shorting the USD. Inflation is going to become a large problem in the not too distant future. To each their own, but I increase my crypto holdings ever single day.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
You disagree that it is not possible to pay back the debt, especially as it keeps going up exponentially?
Pretty much, yeah.

“If you print bonds in your own currency, what happens to the currency will be the question,” said Buffett. “But you don’t default. The U.S. has been smart to issue its debt in its own currency.”

In simple English - The US debt is in US dollars. The US has the printer for US dollars, so if their ever came a time when the US wasn't able to pay treasury securities with the current dollar reserves (which by the way would be something the US would see coming decades in advance due to the timing on treasury securities), they can just print more. This comes with its own negative side effects, but managing this is the basis of modern monetary policy. This has been my TEDtalk on macroeconomics.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Pretty much, yeah.

“If you print bonds in your own currency, what happens to the currency will be the question,” said Buffett. “But you don’t default. The U.S. has been smart to issue its debt in its own currency.”

In simple English - The US debt is in US dollars. The US has the printer for US dollars, so if their ever came a time when the US wasn't able to pay treasury securities with the current dollar reserves (which by the way would be something the US would see coming decades in advance due to the timing on treasury securities), they can just print more. This comes with its own negative side effects, but managing this is the basis of modern monetary policy. This has been my TEDtalk on macroeconomics.
And I disagree. Why not just create 25 trillion in currency and pay off the debt tomorrow? You don’t default if the other countries holding the debt continue to have faith in the dollar and continue to be stupid enough to buy it via treasuries. That day will end, just as it has for every single example of fiat currency in human history. The US debt during WW II, for example was self-financed. It was floated by Americans who had SAVINGS, unlike today when we just have debt.

Saying a country can rack up as much debt as it wants is just Keynseian nonsense. If they are no consequences, why not just give everyone 1 mil just to ‘stimulate’ the economy? Even Keynes didn’t agree with the spending of the late 30’s, and that is being dwarfed by the debt ratio going on today.

Prosperity is gained via savings, investment, and production. Not by spending and debt.
This has been my TEDtalk on macroeconomics.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
And I disagree. Why not just create 25 trillion in currency and pay off the debt tomorrow? You don’t default if the other countries holding the debt continue to have faith in the dollar and continue to be stupid enough to buy it via treasuries. That day will end, just as it has for every single example of fiat currency in human history. The US debt during WW II, for example was self-financed. It was floated by Americans who had SAVINGS, unlike today when we just have debt.

Saying a country can rack up as much debt as it wants is just Keynseian nonsense. If they are no consequences, why not just give everyone 1 mil just to ‘stimulate’ the economy? Even Keynes didn’t agree with the spending of the late 30’s, and that is being dwarfed by the debt ratio going on today.

Prosperity is gained via savings, investment, and production. Not by spending and debt.
This has been my TEDtalk on macroeconomics.
Lol - they can’t “pay off the debt tomorrow” because of treasury how securities work - it’s a contract that is paid off at an agreed upon time when it mature. It’s not like your credit card bill that will ding you with interest if you don’t pay it every month.

23 trillion of the current US debt is to US citizens.

All things do come to an end but we will know decades in advance as the 30 year securities issuance fails to meet target, then 20 years then 15 , etc. etc. and currently US treasury securities are still the most desired in the world so that day is at minimum 31 years off. But if we ignore the things we don’t understand anything is possible.

Last edited:

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Lol - they can’t “pay off the debt tomorrow” because of treasury how securities work - it’s a contract that is paid off at an agreed upon time when it mature. It’s not like your credit card bill that will ding you with interest if you don’t pay it every month.

23 trillion of the current US debt is to US citizens.

All things do come to an end but we will know decades in advance as the 30 year securities issuance fails to meet target, then 20 years then 15 , etc. etc. and currently US treasury securities are still the most desired in the world so that day is at minimum 31 years off. But if we ignore the things we don’t understand anything is possible.
Again, the currency will collapse when countries stop having faith in the dollar. It is unavoidable. I certainly don’t understand everything, but I understand this particular issue. It’s strange, people who go to business school and get fed with Keynesian theory, or ‘standard policy’ or whatever you called it, actually come out knowing less about economics because they’ve been fed with nonsense, it is illogical, and it doesn’t work.

I tend to believe the people who actually forecasted with specificity the dotcom bubble burst, the housing collapse, and what’s coming next. Not the people who say that printing money in perpetuity is fine, because spending is what’s good, those same people who said the economy was strong from ‘02-‘08 and housing prices would never reset.

Concededly, I could be wrong, just like those who preach Keynesian theory and the Fed are wrong every day and have been wrong about every single important economic event for decades.

Is there a debt limit that worries you? How about 50 trillion? 75 trillion? If your logic is correct then it can go on for years. Hell, we’re near a point where every penny the government takes in will have to be spent on just the INTEREST on the debt. But if we ignore the things we don’t understand then I guess anything is possible.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Completely agree with this part.
And you’ve offered nothing to counter the point. Your view is exactly what made people who got into the housing market in the early 2000s think they hit the lottery, the banks who made loans they normally wouldn’t have because the Fed artificially kept lowering interest rates etc, when in fact they had all gotten much much poorer. Those who understood monetary and fiscal policy history recognized this. It’s the false booms, the mirage of wealth when it is just built on debt, where the mistakes get made and people act in a way they ordinarily would not. History has a tendency to repeat itself.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
And you’ve offered nothing to counter the point. Your view is exactly what made people who got into the housing market in the early 2000s think they hit the lottery, the banks who made loans they normally wouldn’t have because the Fed artificially kept lowering interest rates etc, when in fact they had all gotten much much poorer. Those who understood monetary and fiscal policy history recognized this. It’s the false booms, the mirage of wealth when it is just built on debt, where the mistakes get made and people act in a way they ordinarily would not. History has a tendency to repeat itself.
Your point is poorly thought out misunderstandings of pretty much everything you touched on, but since I didn’t have anything nice to say I decided not to say much of anything at all and focused on the part we agreed on.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Your point is poorly thought out misunderstandings of pretty much everything you touched on, but since I didn’t have anything nice to say I decided not to say much of anything at all and focused on the part we agreed on.
Appreciate that. No one has ever been able to logically explain how going into trillions of dollars of debt in perpetuity makes a country and its citizens better off, or how debasing a currency is sound monetary policy, but different views make the world go round. And I appreciate yours. Agree to disagree.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im not sure how people can be against the US “printing money” but at the same time be for Bitcoin which is also just printing money. Making a whole new group of people wealthy. The new elites. As if they wont end up just as corrupt as the current elites.

I love the idea of digital currently but Ill never be able to wrap my head around why some random dude who mined Bitcoin should be super rich for doing nothing and why anyone with a wealth of FIAT would want to devalue their own currency further.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Appreciate that. No one has ever been able to logically explain how going into trillions of dollars of debt in perpetuity makes a country and its citizens better off, or how debasing a currency is sound monetary policy, but different views make the world go round. And I appreciate yours. Agree to disagree.
The answer is simple: the us government “invests” the dollars borrowed (in infrastructure, social programs, grants, etc. any government spending) and gets a higher return on the dollar than the interest on the security. Simple but not easy, you have to actually get a positive ROI on the money raised, but the US historically has and currently does. This is where smart government spending comes in, and returns are not always obvious. For example every dollar spent on food stamps returns on average $1.73 into the economy, which is more than spending on infrastructure ($1.59), and way more than cutting corporate tax cut ($0.30)

Inflation and printing new money is how economies grow, and in small amounts is a good thing. The Fed aims for 2% a year but rarely hits that number (almost always less).

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
The answer is simple: the us government “invests” the dollars borrowed (in infrastructure, social programs, grants, etc. any government spending) and gets a higher return on the dollar than the interest on the security. Simple but not easy, you have to actually get a positive ROI on the money raised, but the US historically has and currently does. This is where smart government spending comes in, and returns are not always obvious. For example every dollar spent on food stamps returns on average $1.73 into the economy, which is more than spending on infrastructure ($1.59), and way more than cutting corporate tax cut ($0.30)

Inflation and printing new money is how economies grow, and in small amounts is a good thing. The Fed aims for 2% a year but rarely hits that number (almost always less).
I understand and appreciate your points. I’ve heard both sides to the argument. The key for me is the government spending. Not all of it is created equally. There are many government expenditures that increase standards of living, in other words those resources yield a more optimal return than the private sector can achieve. Defense spending is an example where centralized government expenditures are fine because the goal is to protect everyone from potential harm. But as a vet, I can tell you that even in that sector, waste and unneeded bureaucracy are common. So yes, government spending is needed in certain areas, provided those resources can more efficiently address those issues than other mechanisms. I was a prosecutor in a major city, and if I told you how many disgusting ways public money was spent, it would make you sick. If I ran my business that way, I’d be out of business inside 3 months.

It’s all about degrees to me. Take some of the portions of the new relief bill as an example. How does allocating millions to Pakistan to further gender studies help those dealing with COVID or generate a healthy ROI? No private citizen would do that if they were spending all of their own money on a program to address COVID relief. I give what I can to charity, and in my experience that transaction makes a more direct impact than hoping some of my federal tax dollars somehow makes its way back to the intended recipients.

Debasing currency decreases our purchasing power. I believe placing an emphasis on savings and production is better, which can be hard to incentivize when interest rates remain artificially low. It does incentivize borrowing and spending tho, IMO.

But I do think the opposing point of view raises a few valid points in some areas, as well.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's more of a futures based commodity at this stage than useable currency. Like investing in a tech stock but somewhat more liquid. Not sure of the taxation oversight TBH.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
Im not sure how people can be against the US “printing money” but at the same time be for Bitcoin which is also just printing money. Making a whole new group of people wealthy. The new elites. As if they wont end up just as corrupt as the current elites.

I love the idea of digital currently but Ill never be able to wrap my head around why some random dude who mined Bitcoin should be super rich for doing nothing and why anyone with a wealth of FIAT would want to devalue their own currency further.

I'm not a genius and I don't know much about digital currency, but I have the same opinion as yours.

Digital currency is just basically making up something that isn't tangible and you didn't actually work for. I don't understand it, but I do agree it will eventually be as corrupt as the rest of the world and a small percentage of people will be wealthy from it.