OT - " I’m Abstaining From NFL Football"

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Didnt realize choosing to spend time with family and be productive was considered turning into a woman...the article points out how little football is actually played during the course of 3 hours. I like Chip Kelly's approach on offense because there's more to watch since they run more plays by being faster. I think it's a more entertaining style than most teams.

The dude points out that the game lasts 11 minutes. Umm, so then watch the 11 minutes, the technology today allows for that. To abstain from football? Yes, sorry, perhaps it's not PC to say but he turned in his nuts to ride a bike.

But it is a 60 minute game. And even the 49 minutes have their purpose. When GB was up 24-0 yesterday I started watching the clock with as much enthusiasm as the game (yes I'm easily amused). But i sat there hoping the ball would be taken out of Rodgers hands. I would be content with 3 pathetic Packer runs just to kill the clock. Exciting? 3 crappy runs? Yes, it's exciting, it's strategy.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The dude points out that the game lasts 11 minutes. Umm, so then watch the 11 minutes, the technology today allows for that. To abstain from football? Yes, sorry, perhaps it's not PC to say but he turned in his nuts to ride a bike.

Exactly. If you decide to use your time for something else than watching football, good for you. You can always get Game Rewind and watch the condensed versions. 30 mins tops. Probably less time than it would have taken him to write this stupid opinion piece.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Also, as for his "reasons"....no concussions or PEDs in college football huh?

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
lolz my brother lives in Sau Paolo, Brazil with his wife. He's tried very hard to appease their family by getting into soccer, but he can't fool me. He wishes he was at home with my Dad me and the fellas to watch football on Sundays.

sad, sad day.

CutlersCorner

Liked Posts:
I had heard those numbers before or something similar... thought I had heard like 16 minutes of actual gametime. Regardless it's one of the best sports to play, watch live, or in person from pop warner on up!!

Throughout this post I believe you guys are missing out on my personal favorite sport though. HOCKEY!!

You want non stop action, strategy, and a sport where guys can still hit each other without being fined...HOCKEY!!

I am a little biased growing up on the ice and still playing a little into my mid 30's. But there isn't more drama, conditioning or violence (not including mma) than in my beloved HOCKEY!!

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I get what dude is saying. If not for the Bears I probably wouldn't watch the nfl either.

I agree. I have less and less time for it. I used to watch 4 or 5 games every week. This season so far I've watched 2 (the bears games) and a little bit of the opening Broncos Ravens game and that's it. I fully expect to end the regular season having watched a grand total of 16 full games. I just can't be bothered with it anymore this year.

Part of that is that NBC sports is covering the English premier league, so my extra time has been going mostly to that this year.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Isn't watching anything on television a huge "time suck"?

Most of the crap on television is causing brain damage and encourages drug use to sit mindlessly in front of it for hours.

Sounds like the author needs to up the ante or STFU.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I agree. I have less and less time for it. I used to watch 4 or 5 games every week. This season so far I've watched 2 (the bears games) and a little bit of the opening Broncos Ravens game and that's it. I fully expect to end the regular season having watched a grand total of 16 full games. I just can't be bothered with it anymore this year.

Part of that is that NBC sports is covering the English premier league, so my extra time has been going mostly to that this year.

I'm pretty much the same way these days. I check scores and maybe highlights across the league and that's about it. There might be a random game or two I watch towards the end of the year due to potential playoff implications for the Bears, but that'll be about it.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I find soccer boring but baseball relaxing :shrug:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm pretty much the same way these days. I check scores and maybe highlights across the league and that's about it. There might be a random game or two I watch towards the end of the year due to potential playoff implications for the Bears, but that'll be about it.

Yeah I still watch the highlights, I just find that as the years go on, I have less and less inclination to devote 200 minutes to a non-Bears NFL game.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
These "primetime" games have sucked and I'd expect the same tonight.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The flex schedule makes it better in the latter half of the year usually. At least for the SNF game.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I find soccer boring but baseball relaxing :shrug:

Still love baseball, but I'm a Cubs fan out of market. My brother down here has forsworn the Cubs for the Braves, but I'll never do that.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Tennis is an exciting sport with a lot of action and minimal breaks. :shifty:

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Tennis is entertaining to watch. I wish there was more parity.

Reactions: BNB

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Tennis is a great game. It's one of these games like golf insofar as how difficult it is to play it functionally. Looks easy enough on TV but man it's difficult to play.

Reactions: BNB

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
mick I told you I'd get back to you on this and I can confirm that in most sports, the individual or team who scores the most points, wins.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Tennis is entertaining to watch. I wish there was more parity.

I like watching tennis as well. I used to watch it a lot, not so much anymore.