HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Too many simply above average players make it into the Hall these day. It should be reserved for generational-type players, not just good ones. Takes away the value, IMO...

For the most part that still applies to most positions. Quarterback is the one position that gets a ton of leeway in the HoF because of its importance to teams as a whole.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Too many simply above average players make it into the Hall these day. It should be reserved for generational-type players, not just good ones. Takes away the value, IMO...

Eli is far from a legitimate HOFer. He never has been considered as one of the top five qbs in his generation at any time in his career.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Eli is far from a legitimate HOFer. He never has been considered as one of the top five qbs in his generation at any time in his career.

Perhaps not, but the HOF is looking at the whole body of work, which would include his place in the record books for consecutive starts, passing yds, passing TDs, and his two super bowls. Remember, he took two Wild Card teams 4 years apart to beat the best coach+QB of all-time while playing at a high level.

Winning two super bowls is fucking hard to do, especially in today's NFL(sans Patriots). Meanwhile, Aaron Rodgers has one super bowl win, Drew Brees has one super bowl win, Brett Favre has one super bowl win, Peyton Manning has the same number of super bowl wins while being carried more by the rest of his team, and Dan Marino has NO super bowl wins. As Herm Edwards said: "You play to win the game". That matters.

I don't think he's first ballot by any means, but he should and will get in.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I wonder what tom brady thinks of Eli getting in. Ruined his perfect season.
c19f94cde6edf0eaf5e473869df52c45--epic-fail-tom-brady.jpg

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
50K yards, + 100 TD to Int, 2 SB wins incl SB MVP, 8 years straight averaging over 4K yards, 12 straight year of starting/playing all 16 games.

He may not be first ballot, but will make it.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A lot of ignorance in there.

Agreed but it's already been tainted so what to do?

I actually think that football pretty well gets things right. You have to get beyond statistics first of all especially when you consider the elementary changes in the game and rules themselves. And guys like Namath and even Sayers were players who absolutely changed the game. that is the reason why I put Hester in the same class of player. He absolutely greatly changed the game. He got entire teams game planning around him. He impacted the game.

When you take a look at guys like Sayers and to a lesser extent, Namath, they changed the game. They transformed the game. And Hester did also.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd put his pop in the HOF before Eli. Archie was a much better quarterback.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Perhaps not, but the HOF is looking at the whole body of work, which would include his place in the record books for consecutive starts, passing yds, passing TDs, and his two super bowls. Remember, he took two Wild Card teams 4 years apart to beat the best coach+QB of all-time while playing at a high level.

Winning two super bowls is fucking hard to do, especially in today's NFL(sans Patriots). Meanwhile, Aaron Rodgers has one super bowl win, Drew Brees has one super bowl win, Brett Favre has one super bowl win, Peyton Manning has the same number of super bowl wins while being carried more by the rest of his team, and Dan Marino has NO super bowl wins. As Herm Edwards said: "You play to win the game". That matters.

I don't think he's first ballot by any means, but he should and will get in.

Yeah, he'll probably because of New York influence and that he is a Manning and his brother will campaign for him also. Also. Anyone who thinks Eli is anywhere close to being as good as Peyton is blind. Peyton was in my opinion at least one of the top two qbs in his generation.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah, he'll probably because of New York influence and that he is a Manning and his brother will campaign for him also. Also. Anyone who thinks Eli is anywhere close to being as good as Peyton is blind. Peyton was in my opinion at least one of the top two qbs in his generation.

I don't disagree there. But Eli should be in the HOF.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I actually think that football pretty well gets things right. You have to get beyond statistics first of all especially when you consider the elementary changes in the game and rules themselves. And guys like Namath and even Sayers were players who absolutely changed the game. that is the reason why I put Hester in the same class of player. He absolutely greatly changed the game. He got entire teams game planning around him. He impacted the game.

When you take a look at guys like Sayers and to a lesser extent, Namath, they changed the game. They transformed the game. And Hester did also.
I understand what you're saying but it all ends up being very subjective unless you have more concrete standards in place. Do you want only the greats in the HOF or do you want pretty much everybody who meant anything to the sport?

People today don't know shit about Namath. They just go by tall tales and what not. Got my info on the AFL from people who went through it and passed it on to me as a young kid and also from watching documentaries and from reading stuff long before the internet came along. I even remember watching Namath play for several years and even as a kid, I thought he sucked. I can tell you without any doubt FT knew nothing about that era. It's as if he just read it off of Wikipedia or something. I shouldn't have even started with him cause it's as annoying as hell when somebody is pitching something that's so far off base of what actually happened.

As for Namath, you cannot deny he was a key pioneer of the sport as I mentioned from the beginning. But let's be serious, his numbers were bad then and now. In his 13 year career, his team won a playoff game only that 1 single year. They made the playoffs the following year but lost the only game there and never even sniffed the playoffs again. So your left with a QB who had bad numbers, even as compared to his better peers back then and also had a bad Won/Loss record so when people say these players are judged by the body of work in their career, bullshit. Really, if anything, you can only say Namath got in based on that 1 single win that meant so much to the NFL. And if you were to ask Bubba Smith before he died, he'd tell you in no uncertain terms why Namath didn't even deserve credit for that 1 game.

As for Eli, his whole career has been very Cutleresque except for the fact his team won 2 Super Bowls in similar fashion vs the same team. Are 2 SB wins enough to get him in? Add the significance of his surname and there's really no doubt he will get in but really, it's almost like making Jay Cutler a HOF guy. Cutler has a higher career rating than Eli, a much higher completion %, only a slightly higher int% and they both have the same td%. They're like twins separated at birth. The only difference being Eli is much more likeable and has 2 SB rings.

Last edited:

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Exactly. I've read stories about the 2 and the stories always paint Peyton as being uptight about things and Eli as being laid back and unassuming.

Nothing wrong with being uptight and aggressive about things. I have found a helluva lot of very successful people are that way in business. Being laid back and unassuming frequently means that a person will pretty much fail in a general sense. Also, generally, these are also the people who complain about the unfairness of life as in criticizing people who are successful versus themselves.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nothing wrong with being uptight and aggressive about things. I have found a helluva lot of very successful people are that way in business. Being laid back and unassuming frequently means that a person will pretty much fail in a general sense. Also, generally, these are also the people who complain about the unfairness of life as in criticizing people who are successful versus themselves.
I wasn't saying it was necessarily a bad thing. Just that Eli was the more easy going, likeable of the 2 off the field. Both still always handled themselves very well in front of the cameras. As a football player Peyton was far superior.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I understand what you're saying but it all ends up being very subjective unless you have more concrete standards in place. Do you want only the greats in the HOF or do you want pretty much everybody who meant anything to the sport?

People today don't know shit about Namath. They just go by tall tales and what not. Got my info on the AFL from people who went through it and passed it on to me as a young kid and also from watching documentaries and from reading stuff long before the internet came along. I even remember watching Namath play for several years and even as a kid, I thought he sucked. I can tell you without any doubt FT knew nothing about that era. It's as if he just read it off of Wikipedia or something. I shouldn't have even started with him cause it's as annoying as hell when somebody is pitching something that's so far off base of what actually happened.

As for Namath, you cannot deny he was a key pioneer of the sport as I mentioned from the beginning. But let's be serious, his numbers were bad then and now. In his 13 year career, his team won a playoff game only that 1 single year. They made the playoffs the following year but lost the only game there and never even sniffed the playoffs again. So your left with a QB who had bad numbers, even as compared to his better peers back then and also had a bad Won/Loss record so when people say these players are judged by the body of work in their career, bullshit. Really, if anything, you can only say Namath got in based on that 1 single win that meant so much to the NFL. And if you were to ask Bubba Smith before he died, he'd tell you in no uncertain terms why Namath didn't even deserve credit for that 1 game.

As for Eli, his whole career has been very Cutleresque except for the fact his team won 2 Super Bowls in similar fashion vs the same team. Are 2 SB wins enough to get him in? Add the significance of his surname and there's really no doubt he will get in but really, it's almost like making Jay Cutler a HOF guy. Cutler has a higher career rating than Eli, a much higher completion %, only a slightly higher int% and they both have the same td%. They're like twins separated at birth. The only difference being Eli is much more likeable and has 2 SB rings.

You are completely wrong about Joe Namath's ability. Namath was special and only limited by his knee. The two seasons which he had which resulted in a Super Bowl and the play-offs were the only seasons where he had a good running back who had the ability to balance Weeb's offense.

When you are really the only weapon on the team(along with some great receivers) but no defense and no running game, you are behind in pretty much every game. Yet Joe took a fucking beating and kept keeping the Jets in games that they had no business being in. He was really a special guy who is physically sound and a decent team around him could have been one of the greats.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
You are completely wrong about Joe Namath's ability. Namath was special and only limited by his knee. The two seasons which he had which resulted in a Super Bowl and the play-offs were the only seasons where he had a good running back who had the ability to balance Weeb's offense.

When you are really the only weapon on the team(along with some great receivers) but no defense and no running game, you are behind in pretty much every game. Yet Joe took a fucking beating and kept keeping the Jets in games that they had no business being in. He was really a special guy who is physically sound and a decent team around him could have been one of the greats.
Sorry, my impression of him was much different. Not a very good team player. Not very serious about the game of football and even more of a distraction over those many many losing years. RBs? He had good RBs through a lot of his career. Problem was lack of focus on football. Back then, as now, turnovers kill and he turned it over at will. 173 TDs to 220 interceptions. Can we please be serious?

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

No he wasn’t. The best part of Archie’s game, dripped down his wife’s thighs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Huh? 35-101? 125 TDs and 173Ints? 67 QB rating? That Archie Manning? Really? Let's just put every player who ever played in the HOF.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Huh? 35-101? 125 TDs and 173Ints? 67 QB rating? That Archie Manning? Really? Let's just put every player who ever played in the HOF.

Well, to be fair, Archie got the short end of the stick. Saints werent just bad. They were beyond that. But, no, he is not a HOF. He is also the reason Peyton and him decided for Peyton to go one more year in college. He wanted no part of the Saints drafting him.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, to be fair, Archie got the short end of the stick. Saints werent just bad. They were beyond that. But, no, he is not a HOF. He is also the reason Peyton and him decided for Peyton to go one more year in college. He wanted no part of the Saints drafting him.
And also the reason Eli refused to go to San Diego.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dont really care for the Mannings. Eli just has a face you want to punch and Peyton is kind of a douche, but Eli is a HOF. You can say this and that, but by the end, he has big numbers and 2 rings. He is also a Manning. He gets in quite easily.

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
I have always considered Eli Manning a luckier Jay Cutller and a big reason I never gave up on Jay. Cutler could have easily been Eli with a little luck.