OT: K-Rod to Brewers

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The question is would the Mets be desperate enough to lower payroll now to do that deal since the money in total is a wash. Santana has a club option that becomes a player option if he Santana wins the Cy Young between 08-13 and finishes 2nd or 3rd in another year. Or it becomes a player option if he finished 2nd or 3rd in 3 seasons in that same time frame. He finished 3rd in 08. So if he finishes in the top 2 in the next two seasons or wins one in the next two seasons that 25.5 million option becomes a player option. So perhaps a situation like K-Rod where they deal him to avoid a potential option kicking in.

He has been unbelievable when healthy, but staying healthy is a concern with the Cubs track record of being able to keep pitchers healthy. But that would be great deal to improve the club for next season. Again both Santana and Soriano have NTC, and I don't know if we want to be trading for a pitcher coming off a shoulder injury. Just an interesting idea once I started looking at contracts after hearing about K-Rod's deal.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Actually kind of like the idea of Santana to be honest. That contract is beyond terrible, and Santana is hurt right now. He is about ready to start throwing again, and he makes the same as Soriano though the money is split up different. Soriano has the extra year, but the Mets would save 4.5 million this year (less because we over half way through the season but didn't feel like trying to estimate the prorated amount), 6 million next year, and 7.5 million the following year.

I like the idea, but not sure if they would go for it.

I wonder how it works though with the deferred money. As far as I know deferred money is paid by the team that deferred the money.

So he may actually be making 5 million less each year.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The question is would the Mets be desperate enough to lower payroll now to do that deal since the money in total is a wash. Santana has a club option that becomes a player option if he Santana wins the Cy Young between 08-13 and finishes 2nd or 3rd in another year. Or it becomes a player option if he finished 2nd or 3rd in 3 seasons in that same time frame. He finished 3rd in 08. So if he finishes in the top 2 in the next two seasons or wins one in the next two seasons that 25.5 million option becomes a player option. So perhaps a situation like K-Rod where they deal him to avoid a potential option kicking in.

He has been unbelievable when healthy, but staying healthy is a concern with the Cubs track record of being able to keep pitchers healthy. But that would be great deal to improve the club for next season. Again both Santana and Soriano have NTC, and I don't know if we want to be trading for a pitcher coming off a shoulder injury. Just an interesting idea once I started looking at contracts after hearing about K-Rod's deal.

Honestly though if he is pitching good enough to be up there in the CY voting he very well may be worth that 25 million dollars. That 5.5 million dollar buy out is extreme too.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like the idea, but not sure if they would go for it.

I wonder how it works though with the deferred money. As far as I know deferred money is paid by the team that deferred the money.

So he may actually be making 5 million less each year.

Yea I was just reading about the deferred money, which they don't have to start paying til 2015. Makes the total value of the deal worth a fair bit more than Soriano, but also it means that the Mets aren't saving anythign the first couple of years which was really the only reason I could think of them doing it. Nothing really to this idea, but just a thought of how to get more pitching and move Soriano.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Honestly though if he is pitching good enough to be up there in the CY voting he very well may be worth that 25 million dollars. That 5.5 million dollar buy out is extreme too.

Cub luck would be that Santana wins the Cy Young for them in 2012 and then immediately has TJS...

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yea I was just reading about the deferred money, which they don't have to start paying til 2015. Makes the total value of the deal worth a fair bit more than Soriano, but also it means that the Mets aren't saving anythign the first couple of years which was really the only reason I could think of them doing it. Nothing really to this idea, but just a thought of how to get more pitching and move Soriano.

I think its a good idea, but I would bet they would want us to take on Jason Bay or something as well.

That would be a bad deal.

I think we are just stuck with Soriano. Unless we can get the Angels to take him.

Cub luck would be that Santana wins the Cy Young for them in 2012 and then immediately has TJS...

So true. So sad, but so true.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
I would do Soriano for Santana

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we all would. I think the issue is why would the Mets, and why would Santana waives his NTC to come here. I think Pood might be right that the Mets would try to tack on us taking Jason Bay and the 32 million he is owed the next couple of seasons to even consider it. Only good thing would be that Soriano would be easy to pass through waivers and only the Astros would be ahead of us to claim Santana in a waiver deal.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I would do Soriano for Santana

question is would the mets and santana agree to it..i.e. santana waiving his ntc....soriano would be a nice acquisition for a team thats near the bottom of the league in HRs...since thats now what soriano is pretty much nowadays a slugger..

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well the only reason the Mets would have considered it is that Soriano makes less in yearly salary, and it appears as if the Mets are in worse financial shape than has been reported. However, I didn't realize at the time I made the suggestion that he has 5 million each year deferred to til 7 years after the year the 5 was due. So the Mets wouldn't be saving much per year in the deal. The Cubs wouldn't make this deal til they saw what Santana was throwing like, and if he was throwing well than the Mets wouldn't trade him for Soriano. Now if we offered to take Bay and Santana back for Soriano, they would jump at that, but then it gets into why would the Cubs do that deal.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well the only reason the Mets would have considered it is that Soriano makes less in yearly salary, and it appears as if the Mets are in worse financial shape than has been reported. However, I didn't realize at the time I made the suggestion that he has 5 million each year deferred to til 7 years after the year the 5 was due. So the Mets wouldn't be saving much per year in the deal. The Cubs wouldn't make this deal til they saw what Santana was throwing like, and if he was throwing well than the Mets wouldn't trade him for Soriano. Now if we offered to take Bay and Santana back for Soriano, they would jump at that, but then it gets into why would the Cubs do that deal.

maybe a change in scenery would help bay hit for more power at wrigley..plus he is quite a bit better defender than soriano imo..

i doubt we get much out of santana unless he is healthy....and we dont do well with pitchers and injuries(rich harden,mark prior,etc.)

in a financial sense that does take up alot of space and may hinder our chances to get a good FA in the offseason like fielder

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
maybe a change in scenery would help bay hit for more power at wrigley..plus he is quite a bit better defender than soriano imo..

i doubt we get much out of santana unless he is healthy....and we dont do well with pitchers and injuries(rich harden,mark prior,etc.)

in a financial sense that does take up alot of space and may hinder our chances to get a good FA in the offseason like fielder

Bay would be additional 32 million. As good as Santana was prior to the injury. I don't see the Cubs taking on 32 million on top of what they have to Soriano right now to upgrade. That move though would basically be the Cubs offseason though. The Cubs could really only add a few minor pieces as opposed to being in play for Fielder or Pujols.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
K-Rod made set-up man, probably a good move for a smaller market team.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I actually agree with CO here. I want my best reliever to be a fireman that I can bring whenever I need it most. The last 3 outs aren't always the toughest outs, and being tied down to bring in your best reliever to finish the last 3 outs of the game with a lead less than 4 runs really limits the way managers can use their bullpen.

Last edited: