OT - PHI Extends Fletcher Cox, Most Guaranteed $$ In The NFL For A Non-QB

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/13/eagles-announce-mega-extension-for-fletcher-cox/

YOW!

The Eagles and defensive tackle Fletcher Cox have agreed to a contract extension that includes the largest guarantee for a player other than a quarterback in NFL history, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Monday.

Per Schefter, it’s a six-year extension worth up to $103 million with $63 million guaranteed.

Cox, 25, went to his first Pro Bowl last season. He hasn’t missed a game over the last three seasons while becoming one of the most dominant interior players in the game. Cox had 9.5 sacks last season and has 22 over his four-year career.

The Eagles confirmed on their official Twitter account that the sides have agreed to an extension. Cox had one season left on his previous deal.

501243638-e1450090571768.jpg

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He'll demand at least that, yep.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Miller is going to hit the open market because Elway won't make that offer. Elway's ego is simply too big.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
what other choice do they have? they sacrificed all their picks for the next couple of years so they have to do whatever it takes

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Holy shitballs, that's a lot of $$

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
Miller is going to hit the open market because Elway won't make that offer. Elway's ego is simply too big.
i think so too i hope pace swoops in and puts that cap space to use

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Wilkerson is grinning ear-to-ear right now. Wilkerson has more sacks in his 2013 and 2015 season than Cox does in his career and he plays the run better.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Wilkerson is grinning ear-to-ear right now. Wilkerson has more sacks in his 2013 and 2015 season than Cox does in his career and he plays the run better.

The Jets will be cap hell years to come. $63 million dollars guaranteed for Fletcher Cox. I can't believe it. Is it spread out or all up front.?

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Insane amount of money for a DT. How much did Suh get?

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I believe so. Cap should be steadily increasing plus we don't really have any monster deals minus Cutler who will finally have a contract appropriate to his production in 2017. IIRC a lot of guys come off the books in 2017 as well(Thank you Ted Phillips).

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/chi/

TBH. 18 million a year is the going rate for an average starting QB. So Cutler's contract is fair and not outrageous. Heck a backup QB can make 7 million a year. Unbelievable.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
With the caveat being that Jay Cutler is still your QB. I also like the fact that the Bears don't have any monster deals minus Cutler because the one player who has talent to command a monster deal (Jeffery) is the one player the Bears refuse to extend. Its kind of sad that CCS is continuing to regress back to the remydat/Cliff Stein "Cap Space Champions" line of thinking.

I don't think it's fair to say the refuse to extend Jefferey because I think both parties want to get something done. They still have 1 month to put a deal in place. Hopefully they just want to make sure his mind is right and is healthy and give him a deal before the season starts.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
TBH. 18 million a year is the going rate for an average starting QB. So Cutler's contract is fair and not outrageous. Heck a backup QB can make 7 million a year. Unbelievable.

Substantiate this.