OT - PHI Extends Fletcher Cox, Most Guaranteed $$ In The NFL For A Non-QB

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Jay Cutler's Contract is 18m a year......

Cousins, Tannehill and Kaepernick all make more than Cutler.

Cousins is on the franchise tag.

Sam Bradford makes about 500k less a year.........

Brock Osweiler makes Cutler money....

I think it is safe to say that Cutler's contract is the going rate

Woods

Chicago Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
With the caveat being that Jay Cutler is still your QB. I also like the fact that the Bears don't have any monster deals minus Cutler because the one player who has talent to command a monster deal (Jeffery) is the one player the Bears refuse to extend. Its kind of sad that CCS is continuing to regress back to the remydat/Cliff Stein "Cap Space Champions" line of thinking.

Flip flop much?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Jay Cutler's Contract is 18m a year......

Cousins, Tannehill and Kaepernick all make more than Cutler.

Cousins is on the franchise tag.

Sam Bradford makes about 500k less a year.........

Brock Osweiler makes Cutler money....

I think it is safe to say that Cutler's contract is the going rate

LOL Cutler is also making substantially more than better QB's like:

Andy Dalton, Carson Palmer, Andrew Luck, Tony Romo, Matt Stafford, Alex Smith.

Not only this he is making a boat load more than guys like McCown and Fitzpatrick, two guys who he was out performed by and are laughed at as options for the Bears.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Not sold on Andy Dalton. He had a good 10 game stretch last year but was horrible for 4 consecutive years before that. He was just along for the ride on a great defense. He shit the bed in the playoffs that the defense worked hard to get him to 4 consecutive years.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not sold on Andy Dalton. He had a good 10 game stretch last year but was horrible for 4 consecutive years before that. He was just along for the ride on a great defense. He shit the bed in the playoffs that the defense worked hard to get him to 4 consecutive years.

:aj:

"Not sold on Andy Dalton....28 year old QB has big step forward season".

Got it.

Woods

Chicago Bears Fan
Liked Posts:

I dont know that I would say Dalton was horrible prior to being excellent last year. He's a good QB.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In one thread:

Didshe: "The Bears offense won't be horrible with Cutler. They will average 20 points per game at least."

In this thread:

Didshe: "Andy Dalton was horrible from 2011-2014.*"
*The Bengals averaged 24PPG during this span*

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
I dont know that I would say Dalton was horrible prior to being excellent last year. He's a good QB.

Prior to his streak last year he was holding that team back like Cutler has been in Chicago. Dalton isn't winning you a Super Bowl just like Cutler isn't.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Luck is only making less because he hasn't been extended yet. Palmer is great when he isn't sitting out entire seasons with injury and much older. Dalton and Cutler are similar imo... That only proves the point

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL Cutler is also making substantially more than better QB's like:

Andy Dalton, Carson Palmer, Andrew Luck, Tony Romo, Matt Stafford, Alex Smith.

Not only this he is making a boat load more than guys like McCown and Fitzpatrick, two guys who he was out performed by and are laughed at as options for the Bears.

Andrew Luck is still on the rookie deal so that doesn't count.

McCown has not outperformed Cutler except for a 4 game stretch. Fitzpatrick has not outperformed Cutler if you go by the stats.

Out of the other contracts you mentioned, their contracts end 3 years before Cutler's and they will make even more guaranteed money.

Cutler's contracted while it has a big total value, it is longer and the average per year is right in line with the others.

Osweiler has done nothing really and got the same average value per year as Cutler. Look at Tannehill.

It's the going rate.....

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Lol but Payton did win because he played so well? Safe bet none of the QBs mentioned will win a super bowl based on their own merits and since there is only one winner per year. The almighty Erin Rogers isn't winning a super bowl without better talent on that team. Get to the playoffs with a strong all all around team and anything can happen

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Woods

Chicago Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
Prior to his streak last year he was holding that team back like Cutler has been in Chicago. Dalton isn't winning you a Super Bowl just like Cutler isn't.

I think we have different measurements to what makes/doesnt make a QB "Good".

If your meaning of "Good" is a QB who can put the offense,defense and special teams on his shoulders and win a super bowl, Im calling that a great QB. But I think a team can win a super bowl who has Dalton as their QB.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cutler's remaining contract years average $18.675M/year

Kaepernick's contract is incentive based with virtually no guaranteed money.

Cousins is better than Cutler.

If you are basing your QB salary cap management on Ryan Tannehill, then that's just ridiculous.

You have to include Tannehill as part of the discussion, because it is a contract that has been given to a Quarterback....this is part of my point....

The jury is still out on Cousins, that is why he hasn't been extended yet. He's played 30 games in 4 years.

You've also ignored new contracts like Osweiler and Bradford which are very similar in average per year.....That is the litmus test of going rate of QBs.

Bradford and Osweiler have done nothing but are getting very similar average per year values.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
McCown has not outperformed Cutler except for a 4 game stretch
Might want to check out last season breh.

Fitzpatrick has not outperformed Cutler if you go by the stats.

Again, check out Fitz' last two seasons.

Out of the other contracts you mentioned, their contracts end 3 years before Cutler's and they will make even more guaranteed money.
Because they've earned it by their performance....which is better than Cutler's!

Osweiler has done nothing really and got the same average value per year as Cutler.

And that deal could end up looking as bad as the Cutler deal. Shocking news..bad contracts happen in pro sports..Look at Cutler's.

Look at Tannehill.
Real shocking. Tannehill signed a big contract coming off two straight years of improvement at 26 years old. Miami was betting the high side of improvement. Even with his step back last year he still threw for over 4,000 yards, started all 16 games and had a 2:1 TD:INT ratio.

Cutler signed his deal at 31 after getting out performed by Josh McCown and the following season was benched for Jimmy Clausen.

So yeah..look at Tannehill.

The Cutler contract is shit and is not the "going rate" for a 31 year old QB with zero playoff success and virtually zero regular season success.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The "going rate" is what teams are willing to pay, whether fair or unfair value.

Please cite 31 year old QB's in Cutler's situation and with his lack of success who were rewarded with a contract that made them the highest paid player in the league.

Thanks!

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
I think we have different measurements to what makes/doesnt make a QB "Good".

If your meaning of "Good" is a QB who can put the offense,defense and special teams on his shoulders and win a super bowl, Im calling that a great QB. But I think a team can win a super bowl who has Dalton as their QB.

No my meaning of a "good QB" is somebody who doesn't have a post season stat line of 1TD 6INT, 55% Comp, 57 QB rating and 5.5 ypa.

The Bengals have had a good roster and Dalton is literally the reason they've never won anything.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
He needs to prove it again. If he goes back to another 85 QB Rating, he will go right back to being the scapegoat.

Cutler has a Bears career 85.5 rating and we all know your thoughts on him