My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Angels To Sign Albert Pujols: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

The Angels are the bridesmaid no more. Albert Pujols will sign with the Angels for ten years and $250-260MM, tweets Yahoo's Tim Brown. He'll receive a full no-trade clause. Pujols decided this morning, writes Brown. If Pujols received more than $252MM, his new deal will be the second-largest in baseball history in both its total and average annual value.
Pujols, 32 in January, was drafted by the Cardinals in 1999 in the 13th round and began his career with a staggering 11-year stretch. The first baseman is the active career leader in batting average (.328) and slugging percentage (.617), he's second among active players in career on-base percentage (.421). Pujols owns a Rookie of the Year award and three MVP awards, and has ranked no worse than ninth in the MVP voting in every season of his career. He's been extremely durable, averaging 155 games per season.
In 2011, Pujols struggled to meet his lofty offensive standards early, and had a scorching June cut short by a small fracture in his left wrist. He recovered quickly from the injury and hit .318/.375/.579 the rest of the way, though overall his 9.4% walk rate was a career-low. The Cardinals signed Pujols to a long-term deal in 2004, which ended up being a huge bargain at $111MM over eight years. Pujols and the Cardinals failed to find common ground on an extension in February this year, but the contract didn't seem a distraction as the team ended up winning the World Series.
The suddenly free-spending Marlins made a competitive bid for Pujols, offering a ten-year deal. They seemingly dropped out after signing Mark Buehrle, and up until Thursday morning, the Cardinals were considered the favorite.
With Kendrys Morales and Mark Trumbo, the Angels now have a couple of first base trade chips. Morales could be non-tendered next week.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
And the whole NL!

And perhaps, more importantly, the Angels were the only other "big market" team that might have been out there for Prince. Prince may sign elsewhere but it's not because they're a bigger market than Chicago.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
wow..

atleast he is out of the central

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thank you Angels for taking on that terrible deal.

No sour grapes here, but a 31 year old player is not worth 10/250. Terry Francona just said it best "Are the Angels paying him for the next 10 years, or for the last 10 years?"

If the Cardinals would have gotten that contract, they would have pretty much been screwed.

We already have one bad contract on our team (Holliday), we didn't need another one.

I'll miss him for sure, but I am in no way mad about this. Almost happy because of the extra cash we now have.

Last edited:

urankabashi

Liked Posts:
This is part of Epsteins plan to get the best players out and get the best players in. Fielder to Cubs instantly weakens Brewers as it strengthens the Cubs. Let's just hope that it happens.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:

No sour grapes here, but a 31 year old player is not worth 10/250. Terry Francona just said it best "Are the Angels paying him for the next 10 years, or for the last 10 years?"

If the Cardinals would have gotten that contract, they would have pretty much been screwed.

We already have one bad contract on our team (Holliday), we didn't need another one.

I'll miss him for sure, but I am in no way mad about this. Almost happy because of the extra cash we now have.

I agree it would of been a bad deal for a NL team but for an AL team that can DH it wont be terrible they should win a WS with the team they have.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
This is part of Epsteins plan to get the best players out and get the best players in. Fielder to Cubs instantly weakens Brewers as it strengthens the Cubs. Let's just hope that it happens.

But more importantly, it eradicates Zebulon 5 from the Gemini System.

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:

You have to be raged about that contract. If not for the Holliday contract, Pujols is a Cardinal.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Marlins offered Pujols 10/275M.. Would have tied AROD..

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Um how? Brewers still have a hell of alot better team.

IvyPickin87

Sinkin Putts ****in Butts
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thank the lord best news i could have hoped for.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
Thank the lord best news i could have hoped for.

Yeah, the Angels could have helped the Cubs in a variety of ways. In addition to what has been mentioned, by signing CJ Wilson, they've also possibly escalated the need/desire for someone to cough up more for Garza.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Um how? Brewers still have a hell of alot better team.

Are you really that brainless?

Hello? McFly? Anyone home!?

You take the best hitter from the Brewers and put him on the Cubs.

It's pretty fucking simple. The Cubs improve and the Brewers get worse from their collective standing.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Wow. I am actually pretty shocked. I was almost positive he would of stayed in the Louie.
I guess even a guy like Pujols would succumb to the greed and not stay loyal to his team and fans. I think the part ownership the Cards were offering was a cool part of the deal. Crazy. I am baffled.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The Cubs improve and the Brewers get worse from their collective standing.

There was a preacher that was on Murphy's show back some ten years ago and he would say exactly that. The Cubs don't have to get better, then other teams just have to get worse. Well as of right now, the Cards and Brewers have dropped quite a bit I think.

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow. I am actually pretty shocked. I was almost positive he would of stayed in the Louie.
I guess even a guy like Pujols would succumb to the greed and not stay loyal to his team and fans. I think the part ownership the Cards were offering was a cool part of the deal. Crazy. I am baffled.

I'm not sure if he was 100% about the greed. Supposidly, the Marlins offered him 10 years at $275 million, which is a bigger contract, but no no-trade clause. He also might be thinking into the future and in the AL he would have a role as DH in the upcoming years.