Ota 2

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The SHaheen news is best to hear for me.

We need someone to step up on offense and I have no faith left in Kevin White.

I agree, but I think expectations should be tempered for Shaheen. He's making a big jump going from DII to the NFL. Not saying he won't be good, but I don't think he is going to come out and just light up the league.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I'm seeing lots of love for Tarik Cohen. Having that checkdown threat with a chance to take it the distance is game altering. Need to get him up to speed on returns.

Unfortunately with Cohen, we really won't know about him until he takes his first full on NFL hit.

He can be dynamic as he wants to be, but with a guy his stature, we need to know if after the first big hit he takes, if he is going to get up, shake it off, and be ready for the next play, or if that is going to haunt his brain for the rest of what will be a brief career.

That's always the catch with the little guys in the NFL - they are getting the chance because they already showed remarkable talent that allowed them to get drafted despite their size - its almost completely mental for them because after the 1st hard hit, most are done mentally. Its the ones who can keep getting back up that survive in the league (Sproles, Dunn, etc).

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Unfortunately with Cohen, we really won't know about him until he takes his first full on NFL hit.

He can be dynamic as he wants to be, but with a guy his stature, we need to know if after the first big hit he takes, if he is going to get up, shake it off, and be ready for the next play, or if that is going to haunt his brain for the rest of what will be a brief career.

That's always the catch with the little guys in the NFL - they are getting the chance because they already showed remarkable talent that allowed them to get drafted despite their size - its almost completely mental for them because after the 1st hard hit, most are done mentally. Its the ones who can keep getting back up that survive in the league (Sproles, Dunn, etc).

I never thought Wolfe shy'd away from hit, but he was simply too small to get the tough yards. I tend to have the same apprehension with Cohen, he is not going to be a guy that you will be worried about running up the middle. So when he is in the game you stay in a nickle or dime package and not worry about having to sub on running downs.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't feel like Wolfe was near as shifty... He was just small so he was hard to see... but he still thought he could run like a 210lb back instead of a 185lb gimmick.

I have serious doubts Cohen's abilities will translate to success in the NFL... but whatever. It sure would be nice to be wrong on this one.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I felt the same way about Wolfe. He didn't offer anything in terms of pace or options. Just a small normal RB. Cohen has some unique qualities that can be used if the O is up to it.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers

I don't feel like Wolfe was near as shifty... He was just small so he was hard to see... but he still thought he could run like a 210lb back instead of a 185lb gimmick.

I have serious doubts Cohen's abilities will translate to success in the NFL... but whatever. It sure would be nice to be wrong on this one.

Taylor Gabriel is a better comp for Cohen than Wolfe. He's going to be a checkdown beast. Just like you said, Wolfe would run into the hit, Cohen needs to run around the hit. Like Forte, who rarely ever took the full force of the hit. He knew how to roll off them and which way to fall. It decreased his chances for an extra half yard, but that is why he stayed so healthy and rarely fumbled the ball.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wolfe was built like a stick, Tarik might be short but he has a thick base and is way more powerful on his cuts than Wolfe ever dreamed. Height is the only comparison.

I see a little MJD in Tarik's running style, would not be surprised to see him have some success running between the tackles.

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Word on the street is that Glennon was really bad yesterday.

Probably going to be a common thread until the weapons either step up or are improved.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Time to Panic!

giphy.gif

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Boy, I am almost ready to buy a Shaheen jersey. Haven't had a TE's jersey since Olsen.