Overbay????? Sign him or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Carrie Muskat mentioned in her chat today, Overbay could be an option for 1B next year. Would that be a good idea or not? I say NO. Just move Colvin to 1B (platooning with Nady) and let Jackson make the team out of ST.

Overbay plays pretty good D, but he can't hit. Lee is a better option than Overbay and who woulda thought that.

Thoughts?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Jackson may not be ready coming out of ST, then we're screwed. Just sign somebody and trade them before the deadline if B-Jax comes up.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just leave Nady at 1B and Colvin in RF.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Carrie Muskat mentioned in her chat today, Overbay could be an option for 1B next year. Would that be a good idea or not? I say NO. Just move Colvin to 1B (platooning with Nady) and let Jackson make the team out of ST.

Overbay plays pretty good D, but he can't hit. Lee is a better option than Overbay and who woulda thought that.

Thoughts?

My first thought was that you are a fucking Special person. But I can't say that because of these new rules, so I won't call you a fucking Special person. But, then I read the thread and thought, good he's not a fucking Special person(when you said no). Then you said move Colvin to 1st and I thought, okay, he is a fucking Special person. But, I won't call you a fucking Special person. Then, you said let Jackson make the team out of Spring Training and I realized that you are not a fucking Special person, you are in fact, a super-mega fucking Special person. But, I am not calling you a super-mega fucking Special person.

Why in the hell would you have Jackson make the team out of ST? He is no where close to being ready. Major League pitchers would eat him alive. Stop thinking everyone is Castro, because Waldo, I have news for you, they aren't. You can't rush these kids, or else they won't amount to shit. Think before you post Waldo. And before you make up some bull-shit excuse, you can take the extra 4 seconds it takes to think about what you're writing. People will actually respect you, something not even your parents do.

Just leave Nady at 1B and Colvin in RF.

We would give the pirates a run for last place. It'd be like 2006, only worse.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh waldo, so many posts and yet so little intelligence and substance...

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
My first thought was that you are a fucking Special person. But I can't say that because of these new rules, so I won't call you a fucking Special person. But, then I read the thread and thought, good he's not a fucking Special person(when you said no). Then you said move Colvin to 1st and I thought, okay, he is a fucking Special person. But, I won't call you a fucking Special person. Then, you said let Jackson make the team out of Spring Training and I realized that you are not a fucking Special person, you are in fact, a super-mega fucking Special person. But, I am not calling you a super-mega fucking Special person.

Why in the hell would you have Jackson make the team out of ST? He is no where close to being ready. Major League pitchers would eat him alive. Stop thinking everyone is Castro, because Waldo, I have news for you, they aren't. You can't rush these kids, or else they won't amount to shit. Think before you post Waldo. And before you make up some bull-shit excuse, you can take the extra 4 seconds it takes to think about what you're writing. People will actually respect you, something not even your parents do.

I meant I would rather do those moves than sign Overbay. If the Cubs sign or trade for a 1B--LaRoche, Dunn, Pena, Martinez, etc. Leave Jackson in the minors because he's not ready. Overybay won't win and if the Cubs don't want to win, let Jackson make the team and see what he says.

FYI you still called me a fucking Special person, but I don't give a shit.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh waldo, so many posts and yet so little intelligence and substance...

I honestly don't know what I said wrong. Oh that's right "NOTHING". You guys don't get why I wrote that. I DON'T WANT THE CUBS TO SIGN OVERBAY AND WOULD RATHER RUSH THE KIDS IN THE MINORS. It's a figure of speech I guess...like I hate Survivor and I'm going to jump off a building if I have to watch it.

I hope you guys get what I was saying. I'm having trouble explaining it. If the Cubs don't sign Overbay and somone like him, don't rush B Jackson, let him start in AA and get move up to AAA. Unlike Castro.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:

I disagree, slightly. Yeah, Colvin (how to put this nicely?) slowed down the last half of the season. I still think he'll improve. No sense in making him a fourth outfielder if our other option is Kosuke, who plays stellar defense, but swings at the first pitch he sees.

And I thought Nady played well at first. Granted he's no Lee defensively and will never hit more than seven home runs in a season again, but he's still not a bad option.

We lost the overwhelming majority of games this year because we couldn't hit with runners in scoring position. Now, when Lee and Ramirez who together were batting about .300 in the 3 and 4 spots, that hurts. But it wasn't just their faults. But it was. Hitting is contagious, so if the vets are hitting, I honestly think not only Castro and Colvin would have gotten some of those clutch hits, but Theriot, Fonzie, and Soto would too.

I think if we picked up a solid starting pitcher and a couple middle relief, we'd begin that long, arduous process of not sucking. And hell, Dunn wouldn't hurt.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
I do not want Dunn. He'd cost the Cubs a ton of runs w/ his complete inability to pick balls out of the dirt.

Got teeth? Keith doesn't.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
You can do worse than Overbay, he wouldn't be a bad option if you had him take the fort till your next young 1B came in. Solid glove with a decent bat.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
You can do worse than Overbay, he wouldn't be a bad option if you had him take the fort till your next young 1B came in. Solid glove with a decent bat.

I would rather have the Cubs sign Lee. Lee is older, better defender and I expect the stats between him and Overbay. He's also a fan fanorite in Chicago (Lee).

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:

Waldo, you change your mind like a girl changes clothes.

http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/chicago-cubs-forum/7526-nady-dunn.html

Just read through what you've said in this thread. You go from "I like Nady" to "Dunn's the better player" to "Nady would be more cheaper" to "OMGZ! Dunn would hit teh homerunz but not hit for teh high averagez" back to "I like Nady".

And that's just your first post.

It's totally fine to say that you like Nady but think Dunn would be better for the position. That's exactly how I feel. Dunn is more expensive, but he would hit for power, which frankly is what this team needs.

My point is: just make up your mind.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Waldo, you change your mind like a girl changes clothes.

http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/chicago-cubs-forum/7526-nady-dunn.html

Just read through what you've said in this thread. You go from "I like Nady" to "Dunn's the better player" to "Nady would be more cheaper" to "OMGZ! Dunn would hit teh homerunz but not hit for teh high averagez" back to "I like Nady".

And that's just your first post.

It's totally fine to say that you like Nady but think Dunn would be better for the position. That's exactly how I feel. Dunn is more expensive, but he would hit for power, which frankly is what this team needs.

My point is: just make up your mind.

I've never been on the Dunn bandwagon because he does not hit for a good average and sucks at defense but he will hit the hr. My pick now is Adam LaRoche.

Derkach77

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've never been on the Dunn bandwagon because he does not hit for a good average and sucks at defense but he will hit the hr. My pick now is Adam LaRoche.

I wouldn't mind Laroche, but Dunn had a really good year again....avg. wise if he hits .270 plus with over 30 hr's im fine.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I disagree, slightly. Yeah, Colvin (how to put this nicely?) slowed down the last half of the season. I still think he'll improve. No sense in making him a fourth outfielder if our other option is Kosuke, who plays stellar defense, but swings at the first pitch he sees.

And I thought Nady played well at first. Granted he's no Lee defensively and will never hit more than seven home runs in a season again, but he's still not a bad option.

We lost the overwhelming majority of games this year because we couldn't hit with runners in scoring position. Now, when Lee and Ramirez who together were batting about .300 in the 3 and 4 spots, that hurts. But it wasn't just their faults. But it was. Hitting is contagious, so if the vets are hitting, I honestly think not only Castro and Colvin would have gotten some of those clutch hits, but Theriot, Fonzie, and Soto would too.

I think if we picked up a solid starting pitcher and a couple middle relief, we'd begin that long, arduous process of not sucking. And hell, Dunn wouldn't hurt.

See, that's just it. I don't think he will improve. He has a pretty high HR/FB rate at about 20% and unless that improves, I don't think he will. It'll be tough to improve that rate. Plus, his OBP sucks. It flat out sucks. He would only be an average RFer. I can live with that till Jackson comes up, though. I'm just not a big Colvin fan. At all.

However, Nady at first is an absolutely awful idea. Atrocious. I'd rather have Colvin there. He's that bad. He has no power and a worse OBP than Colvin. He K's a lot and with his >5% BB rate and 6 HR, that is terrible. He plays worse defense than Dunn too.

Waldo, so the fuck what? So what if Dunn doesn't hit for a high average? So what? He is one of the best hitters in the game and he's consistent. Does he K a fuckload? Yes. Does he walk a fuckload? Yes. Does he slug a fuckload? Yes. Does he get on base a fuck load? Yes.

As for sucking at defense.... that is false. He's about 3 runs below average. He makes up for that by being worth over 30 runs with his bat.

I do not want Dunn. He'd cost the Cubs a ton of runs w/ his complete inability to pick balls out of the dirt.

Dunn at 29 scoops last year. So yeah, you're wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.