Overbay????? Sign him or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
See, that's just it. I don't think he will improve. He has a pretty high HR/FB rate at about 20% and unless that improves, I don't think he will. It'll be tough to improve that rate. Plus, his OBP sucks. It flat out sucks. He would only be an average RFer. I can live with that till Jackson comes up, though. I'm just not a big Colvin fan. At all.

However, Nady at first is an absolutely awful idea. Atrocious. I'd rather have Colvin there. He's that bad. He has no power and a worse OBP than Colvin. He K's a lot and with his >5% BB rate and 6 HR, that is terrible. He plays worse defense than Dunn too.

Meh, I think he's still learning to lay off those low and outside pitches. As soon as that happens, he should walk more. And granted, the beginning of the season, most of his base hits were pretty lucky in that they found holes in the infield and gaps in the outfield and the later half of the season, he wasn't getting that sort of fortune.

I agree that Nady will never hit for power again. I thought I mentioned that, but maybe not. I definitely didn't watch the Cubs much the last few weeks of the season, but from what I did see, Nady didn't play awful defense. He made some good plays off the bag and dug some balls out of the dirt, too. So, maybe I did miss the poor plays.

Either way, Dunn would be an improvement in my opinion, but I think we need some middle relief pitching and a solid starter before we replace what I feel is adequate enough for the time being in Colvin and Nady.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Meh, I think he's still learning to lay off those low and outside pitches. As soon as that happens, he should walk more. And granted, the beginning of the season, most of his base hits were pretty lucky in that they found holes in the infield and gaps in the outfield and the later half of the season, he wasn't getting that sort of fortune.

I agree that Nady will never hit for power again. I thought I mentioned that, but maybe not. I definitely didn't watch the Cubs much the last few weeks of the season, but from what I did see, Nady didn't play awful defense. He made some good plays off the bag and dug some balls out of the dirt, too. So, maybe I did miss the poor plays.

Either way, Dunn would be an improvement in my opinion, but I think we need some middle relief pitching and a solid starter before we replace what I feel is adequate enough for the time being in Colvin and Nady.

:clap:

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I'm going to go through this slowly, so that we can get on the same page here.

I think that we both can agree that 1B(since Lee left) is our biggest positional hole. Dunn takes care of the only huge gapping hole on the team. Nady(who sucks major dick) and Colvin(who is average) comes out to be a bad platoon, in that their OPS would be ~750. For 1st base, that pretty much sucks. Or, we can have Dunn, who puts up ~900 year in and year out. Dunn takes care of that problem and then some.

The next problem is relief pitching. We sign Kerry Wood or some other vet RHRP and we should be set there. We can fill out the rest with guys who don't make the rotation and guys in the minors.

Next problem - starting pitching. Except, it's not a problem. We have a surplus of starters in Z, Demp, Gorzo, Wells, Silva, Coleman, Cashner, and Diamond. I think we'll be fine with trading Silva and having a rotation of Demp, Z, Gorzo, Wells, Coleman. I think Diamond and Cash Money will be in the pen or AAA, unfortunately.

Even then, we have a rotation of ERA's of all > 4.3. The worst of which was Wells and he had a bad BABIP year.

Could we improve the rotation? Yes. Should we spend money on that? No. We just have too much pitching in the system, with Jackson and Archer being ready relatively soon. It would be stupid to go out and spend, especially considering we probably won't be competing this year.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dunn at 29 scoops last year. So yeah, you're wrong.
With Aramis and Castro always throwing low to first, Dunn would struggle and struggle badly. The Cubs should sign Aubrey Huff to a 1-2 year deal as a stopgap until A-Gon and Pujols become FAs IMO

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With Aramis and Castro always throwing low to first, Dunn would struggle and struggle badly. The Cubs should sign Aubrey Huff to a 1-2 year deal as a stopgap until A-Gon and Pujols become FAs IMO

And then what happens if we don't get A-Gon or Pujols? And are they really going to be worth the 20+ million? Doubtful.

Dunn will make errors, but "always throwing low" is a speculation. You don't know that. Dunn has a great bat and he will make up for the errors.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm going to go through this slowly, so that we can get on the same page here.

I think that we both can agree that 1B(since Lee left) is our biggest positional hole. Dunn takes care of the only huge gapping hole on the team. Nady(who sucks major dick) and Colvin(who is average) comes out to be a bad platoon, in that their OPS would be ~750. For 1st base, that pretty much sucks. Or, we can have Dunn, who puts up ~900 year in and year out. Dunn takes care of that problem and then some.

The next problem is relief pitching. We sign Kerry Wood or some other vet RHRP and we should be set there. We can fill out the rest with guys who don't make the rotation and guys in the minors.

Next problem - starting pitching. Except, it's not a problem. We have a surplus of starters in Z, Demp, Gorzo, Wells, Silva, Coleman, Cashner, and Diamond. I think we'll be fine with trading Silva and having a rotation of Demp, Z, Gorzo, Wells, Coleman. I think Diamond and Cash Money will be in the pen or AAA, unfortunately.

Even then, we have a rotation of ERA's of all > 4.3. The worst of which was Wells and he had a bad BABIP year.

Could we improve the rotation? Yes. Should we spend money on that? No. We just have too much pitching in the system, with Jackson and Archer being ready relatively soon. It would be stupid to go out and spend, especially considering we probably won't be competing this year.

I agree with you that 1B is our biggest hole. Positionally. Dunn would indeed fill that hole, but I really, really do believe that our biggest downfall is in the relief pitching. We have a great starting rotation when Zambrano isn't beating up coolers and what not. Between Dempster, Z, Gorzo, Wells, that's a good solid start. If not, I could live with Coleman. Personally, I liked Cashner coming out of the pen. It's probably not my first choice for him, but when he was confident, he was damn near untouchable.

Between Marshall as set up and Marmol as closer, we're stacked. It's just that between Burg and Russell, there's too much opportunity for a nuclear disaster.

So I guess in order of supremacy, I'd go RP or two, Dunn (or another 1B option), then SP.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with you that 1B is our biggest hole. Positionally. Dunn would indeed fill that hole, but I really, really do believe that our biggest downfall is in the relief pitching. We have a great starting rotation when Zambrano isn't beating up coolers and what not. Between Dempster, Z, Gorzo, Wells, that's a good solid start. If not, I could live with Coleman. Personally, I liked Cashner coming out of the pen. It's probably not my first choice for him, but when he was confident, he was damn near untouchable.

Between Marshall as set up and Marmol as closer, we're stacked. It's just that between Burg and Russell, there's too much opportunity for a nuclear disaster.

So I guess in order of supremacy, I'd go RP or two, Dunn (or another 1B option), then SP.

I agree with you about Berg and Russell. Berg should not be a MLB pitcher flat out. Russell, I really like and am a bit biased but, I think he could be a good LOOGY. I mean vs LHH he had a 7.25 K/BB with over 12 K/9. He also had an xFIP of 2.65, which is the perfect stat to use given his sample size. He can be a good pitcher, I think Lou just fucked him around a little bit too much and he suffered because of that. Hell, the last month he had an ERA of under 2.

Marms and Marshall are given for the BP. I'd throw Grayblow in there too. Then you will see a long reliever(Diamond?). That leaves 3 places left, one will go to Cashner, given that he isn't in the rotation. These aren't really avoidable due to money and merit. We have two pen spots left that we can spend money on or we can use our surplus of pitching in the minors. I say go with one from the minors and one from the FA market.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with you about Berg and Russell. Berg should not be a MLB pitcher flat out. Russell, I really like and am a bit biased but, I think he could be a good LOOGY. I mean vs LHH he had a 7.25 K/BB with over 12 K/9. He also had an xFIP of 2.65, which is the perfect stat to use given his sample size. He can be a good pitcher, I think Lou just fucked him around a little bit too much and he suffered because of that. Hell, the last month he had an ERA of under 2.

Marms and Marshall are given for the BP. I'd throw Grayblow in there too. Then you will see a long reliever(Diamond?). That leaves 3 places left, one will go to Cashner, given that he isn't in the rotation. These aren't really avoidable due to money and merit. We have two pen spots left that we can spend money on or we can use our surplus of pitching in the minors. I say go with one from the minors and one from the FA market.

:yep:

So with our salary limited, I'd say between Dunn and a RP, that could be arranged and still keep Ricketts happy.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
See, that's just it. I don't think he will improve. He has a pretty high HR/FB rate at about 20% and unless that improves, I don't think he will. It'll be tough to improve that rate. Plus, his OBP sucks. It flat out sucks. He would only be an average RFer. I can live with that till Jackson comes up, though. I'm just not a big Colvin fan. At all.

However, Nady at first is an absolutely awful idea. Atrocious. I'd rather have Colvin there. He's that bad. He has no power and a worse OBP than Colvin. He K's a lot and with his >5% BB rate and 6 HR, that is terrible. He plays worse defense than Dunn too.

Waldo, so the fuck what? So what if Dunn doesn't hit for a high average? So what? He is one of the best hitters in the game and he's consistent. Does he K a fuckload? Yes. Does he walk a fuckload? Yes. Does he slug a fuckload? Yes. Does he get on base a fuck load? Yes.

As for sucking at defense.... that is false. He's about 3 runs below average. He makes up for that by being worth over 30 runs with his bat.

Dunn at 29 scoops last year. So yeah, you're wrong.

Dunn one of the best hitters in the game? LOL.

Got teeth? Keith doesn't.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
Exactly. He's in the top 50 and lower, but I don't feel like going through every player.

I'm talking like top 20, maybe top 15. In the previous three years, he's 19th in wOBA, 14th in OPS, 3rd in ISO, tied 3rd highest BB%, 10th in wRC, and 13th in wRAA.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm talking like top 20, maybe top 15. In the previous three years, he's 19th in wOBA, 14th in OPS, 3rd in ISO, tied 3rd highest BB%, 10th in wRC, and 13th in wRAA.

The one thing that might hurt him is the avg. But, you can make a case for him in the top 15-20 and it might work. I wouldn't doubt it.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
waldo, just drop it.

Dear Lord, did he really say below top 50? Ohmigosh. It's not like Dunn has been in the top 25 from 2007-present in terms of wOBA.

Can we get a rule where it's an auto ban to even quote Waldo?

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Dear Lord, did he really say below top 50? Ohmigosh. It's not like Dunn has been in the top 25 from 2007-present in terms of wOBA.

Can we get a rule where it's an auto ban to even quote Waldo?

No, because he probably feels the same way about your posts

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Guys, stop the arguing and attacks at each other.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
And then what happens if we don't get A-Gon or Pujols? And are they really going to be worth the 20+ million? Doubtful.

Dunn will make errors, but "always throwing low" is a speculation. You don't know that. Dunn has a great bat and he will make up for the errors.
First, it's not speculation. Aramis and Castro always threw low to Lee and he always had to scoop balls out of the dirt. He saved the Cubs numerous runs w/ his fine glove. And to say that someone's bat can make up for porous defense? No, just no.

Also, Pujols is worth the 20+ million IMHO. He's the most feared player when he goes up to bat and he's a first ballot HOFer when he retires. A-Gon is what the Cubs have needed for a long time. A big lefty bat at Wrigley who can hit in the middle of the order, and he plays great defense.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
And another thing. If Neifi Perez hit like Hanley Ramirez or a healthy Jimmy Rollins, would his horrendous defense be worth his big bat?

Status
Not open for further replies.