Pace not matching offer for Meredith

swz01

Liked Posts:
We’d rather keep a third string blocking TE than a #2 WR when we could’ve secured him for half the cost of that third string blocking TE. Pace would be fired very soon if he didn’t happen to luck into drafting a QB high in a year where it looks like both will pan out

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I might be in the minority, but the Bears still had a need for a #2 WR even before the Saints offered a contract.

Good for Cam though...hopefully he'll fare better than Snead did last year with Coleman, Ginn, & Kamara getting a bunch of targets.

And Thomas...

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. Robinson

2. Gabriel

5. Bellamy

6. White

Huge gap for a team that has routinely been crushed by WR depth issues.

If you think midget Taylor Gabriel is a #2, you’re in for a rude awakening. Kyle Shanahan is probably the top offensive mind in the NFL today. I trust he used Gabriel to an optimal level in 2016. He was 5th in receptions on that team, and many were screens behind the line of scrimmage. He probably had a handful of catches all year on legit big boy routes. #2 WR is gonna be Kevin White. #2 target will be Burton in the slot.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you think midget Taylor Gabriel is a #2, you’re in for a rude awakening. Kyle Shanahan is probably the top offensive mind in the NFL today. I trust he used Gabriel to an optimal level in 2016. He was 5th in receptions on that team, and many were screens behind the line of scrimmage. He probably had a handful of catches all year on legit big boy routes. #2 is gonna be Kevin White.

Yep, completely agree with this. As long as he's upright, White will likely start. I have no idea how Gabriel turned from a minor bit part speedster to a starting outside receiver since joining the Bears.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not really a level playing field, to be fair.

True. I don't think you can compare stats directly, but if Meredith contributes in a meaningful way then Pace made a mistake.

5m for a productive WR is cheap.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
The Bears are an Allen Robinson injury away from disaster now.

They now move WR up the needs list and OG down, which means we are going to have an under invested position on offense.

Did KC not just light up the league last year with 5th round Tyrek Hill, 3rd round Travis Kelce, 3rd round Kareen Hunt and undrafted Albert Wilson?

Merdith has proven absolutely dick in the NFL to warrant the bitch-fest in this thread. I get it, it's a nice story for a local kid to do well with the Bears but lets not act like we're letting go a former pro bowl player or anything. He's going to New Orleans to be their 3rd WR and we got fans in here acting like we just lost Larry Fitzgerald.

reggie_love

Liked Posts:
If you think midget Taylor Gabriel is a #2, you’re in for a rude awakening. Kyle Shanahan is probably the top offensive mind in the NFL today. I trust he used Gabriel to an optimal level in 2016. He was 5th in receptions on that team, and many were screens behind the line of scrimmage. He probably had a handful of catches all year on legit big boy routes. #2 WR is gonna be Kevin White. #2 target will be Burton in the slot.

For a series. Anyone counting on KW to contribute has severely diminished mental capacity.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I have a feeling Ridley is going to fall to the 2nd round.

I would be shocked if he fell into the 2nd round. Hes far and away the most polished and nfl ready WR. A bad combine didn't change 3 years of film.

My guess is hes gone by the ravens pick. They are desperate for WR and havent gotten shit in FA.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
If you think midget Taylor Gabriel is a #2, you’re in for a rude awakening. Kyle Shanahan is probably the top offensive mind in the NFL today. I trust he used Gabriel to an optimal level in 2016. He was 5th in receptions on that team, and many were screens behind the line of scrimmage. He probably had a handful of catches all year on legit big boy routes. #2 is gonna be Kevin White.

And anyone that watched KC knows they frequently had two TEs on the field with the likes of Wilson, Hill and Conley. Hill is a great player. The rest of their wideouts last year, not so much...

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is a bummer as Meredith really came into his own but gona trust the coaching staff on this one. I like the WR Depth chart a lot better with him on it....but maybe the double injury ACL + MCL was a big factor or he hasn't been re-habbing well or isn't as far along as he should be. Or they might think he just peaked and that one good year he had will be the outlier and he'll never reproduce, especially with AROB in the picture now. I also think they felt they could replace him in the draft with a day 2 pick.

I definitely don't see them using the 1st round pick on a WR, so would have to be rounds 2-4

swz01

Liked Posts:
Now we are forced to reach for a WR in round 2 if there’s a run on WR at end of 1st round. Isn’t this same Special person move how we ended up with Kevin White in the first place? Pace is arrogant and doesn’t learn when he’s already made this mistake with Marshall.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
This thread is hilarious. Everyone thought we had the best FA in signing some great fits for Navy's offense, and now the wheels are completely falling off because they decided Merideth wasn't a fit for it?

msadows

Liked Posts:
For a series. Anyone counting on KW to contribute has severely diminished mental capacity.

Uhh, no. Pace and Nagy will give KW every opportunity to succeed. He is a #7 overall pick on a bad team. He will get more than his fair share of targets. As far as the roster is composed right now he would be the #2 WR. Gabriel is going to do his damage from the slot.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Throw that $5 mil at N.Bowmann or E.Reid and draft a WR somewhere in this very strong WR draft then go bring L.Houston back.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Now we are forced to reach for a WR in round 2 if there’s a run on WR at end of 1st round. Isn’t this same Special person move how we ended up with Kevin White in the first place? Pace is arrogant and doesn’t learn when he’s already made this mistake with Marshall.

Marshall's production dropped off when he left the Bears so I do not think that move was a mistake.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Splosive

reggie_love

Liked Posts:
This thread is hilarious. Everyone thought we had the best FA in signing some great fits for Navy's offense, and now the wheels are completely falling off because they decided Merideth wasn't a fit for it?

Meredith def not a fit for the wishbone

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
First questionable move by Pace so far this year. Nagy had a reason I'm sure.