Pace Panicked

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
Who was the worse positional group...David Montgomery's OL at Iowa State, or Jay Cutlers WR corps with the Bears?

CCS already 'laying the groundwork' for Montgomery excuses when he busts. Sad. Have some faith, people. No need to denigrate his teammates just yet.
They're not wrong, though. They were pretty damn bad. Interested to see what he can do with a little space.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
As I mentioned previously, I was a big fan of Hakeem Butler and would have loved him for the Bears. So, not true.
I don't understand how you can claim Big XXII defenses are horrible, and then like one guy who played against them and not another from the same team who also did? Are you claiming that the secondaries are that much better, despite the Big XXII having terrible defenses? I think Butler will be a decent player, but he's kind of A-Rob with less experience. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see him succeed, especially since he plays with David Johnson and impacts his success, but I think it's going to take him a while - big guys without a lot of speed are kind of the model from a few years back, not today's NFL.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I see no panic on Pace's face. He's walking with supreme confidence.

Anything else?
Sure, 26-38

Also, that gif isn't "real" just fyi!

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Wait a minute....that wasn't really Ryan Pace? Noooooooo
I know, crazy huh?!?

Just like sportsmockery and fansided don't post real articles.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
How can the eagles draft. RB with the great Howard trade lol

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
It’s clear Pace panicked after Darrell Henderson went. Terrible fit. He’s a poor mans Jordan Howard with better hands. Zero explosion and I mean fucking zero. You can forget about chunk plays. If he has a carry over 20 yards consider it a minor miracle.

That is all.

Bump.

I’d like to recap Montgomery’s rookie season with many posters still believing the world is holding him back to being an above average productive NFL player. I’d argue no other player in Chicago outside of the quarterback position has received the benefit of the doubt more so than who I would call the most replaceable player on the roster.

Let’s get the elephant in the room out of the way.

The offensive line fucking sucked in 2019. It was really bad.

Still, Montgomery averaged an embarrassingly pathetic 3.7 yards per carry. I repeat, 3.7. All I heard about was this amazing broken tackles stat from Montgomery coming out of college. That would suggest the guy doesn’t need to get perfect blocking to be productive and can create on his own. His rookie year production says otherwise.

I still want to know why anyone believes in this guy. A guy who had a year where he averaged 4.3 YPC in the worst defensive conference in college football. A guy who has less explosion than average 40 yr that posted an atrocious 28” vertical at the combine.

Twenty-eight. Inch. Vertical. And you wonder why he has zero explosion after first 5-7 yards.

If Jonathan Taylor or JK Robbins is available at the Bears pick, they will very likely be the BPA and I highly highly recommend the Bears select one of them as they are 10x the player.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Bump.

I’d like to recap Montgomery’s rookie season with many posters still believing the world is holding him back to being an above average productive NFL player. I’d argue no other player in Chicago outside of the quarterback position has received the benefit of the doubt more so than who I would call the most replaceable player on the roster.

Still, Montgomery averaged an embarrassingly pathetic 3.7 yards per carry. I repeat, 3.7. All I heard about was this amazing broken tackles stat from Montgomery coming out of college. That would suggest the guy doesn’t need to get perfect blocking to be productive and can create on his own. His rookie year production says otherwise.

I still want to know why anyone believes in this guy. A guy who had a year where he averaged 4.3 YPC in the worst defensive conference in college football. A guy who has less explosion than average 40 yr that posted an atrocious 28” vertical at the combine.

Twenty-eight. Inch. Vertical. And you wonder why he has zero explosion after first 5-7 yards.

If Jonathan Taylor or JK Robbins is available at the Bears pick, they will very likely be the BPA and I highly highly recommend the Bears select one of them as they are 10x the player.
I didn't like Montgomery coming out and it had nothing to do with his combine. While he broke a lot of tackles, I honestly thought he spent too much time missing bigger holes once he got to the second level and then was chased down. His skillset wasn't fully translatable. Yes, he can break tackles. But the NFL is much bigger, faster, and better at tackling.

And then when you add in his combine performance it was clear.

Personally, I loved Henderson and thought (still think) he's the best RB in that class. Time will tell but my opinion was that Monty wouldn't be good and Henderson would be great.

Last edited:

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bump.

I'll try not to mention our former RB by name because it will cause a couple of posters to rip their dick off.

I didn't like the Monty pick because I thought we got a guy similar to the one who just left, and we simply could have used the 3rd to replace Kyle Long.

That being said I haven't given hope up on Monty because it's almost impossible to evaluate him without dragging other areas of the offense into it.

The most surprising thing to me has been his catching ability, which I feel is superior for an RB, yet Nagy barely utilized it with his play calling.

The offensive line doesn't block for him at all, but he's not explosive either. I think being hard to tackle is a great asset at the goal line, but is overrated in the open field because you subject you team to turnovers by getting stripped.

I didn't like the pick. But he's earned a push in my mind.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I'm not writing him off yet, for some reason I remember him being hit in the backfield a LOT, and yet he would manage to get positive yards out of it.

I don't think he is a big play type of guy, but I'm not ready to call him a bust either, the fact that we only have 3 RBs on the team right now means that we have room at the position to add some competition.

I am baffled by why Nall has not gotten more opportunities, SF and Baltimore have used a FB very effectively, and I think if we intend to run the ball more next year we should consider using someone that can block and catch, yes catching the ball is how Baltimore uses the FB, more than running the ball.

Madden

Liked Posts:
I'm not writing him off yet, for some reason I remember him being hit in the backfield a LOT, and yet he would manage to get positive yards out of it.

I don't think he is a big play type of guy, but I'm not ready to call him a bust either, the fact that we only have 3 RBs on the team right now means that we have room at the position to add some competition.

I am baffled by why Nall has not gotten more opportunities, SF and Baltimore have used a FB very effectively, and I think if we intend to run the ball more next year we should consider using someone that can block and catch, yes catching the ball is how Baltimore uses the FB, more than running the ball.

Yeah our O-line was total shit, look at the YPC for Cohen and Montgomery, no one succeeded. I blame Pace for not realizing Long would regress after multiple surgeries and age. And Nagy for switching Whitehair and Daniels which made them both worse. And our O-line coach had to be the fucking worst in the league, people didn't even know their assignments on basic running plays. Just laughably horrible when looking at the tape.

We should look at getting a legit fullback, hell even using Holtz there last year improved our running game. Nagy has to get his head out of his ass and realize having a BALANCED attack is the best way to be unpredictable and successful. And all the runs out of shotgun kept failing yet he kept doing it for at least 3/4 of the season until he actually used I formation a few times later in the season (which worked).

I hope one of the new assistants just takes charge of the entire running scheme because Nagy sucks at it. Sprinkling in 1 run for every 10 plays isn't going to get any RB or OL in a groove at all.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Yeah our O-line was total shit, look at the YPC for Cohen and Montgomery, no one succeeded. I blame Pace for not realizing Long would regress after multiple surgeries and age. And Nagy for switching Whitehair and Daniels which made them both worse. And our O-line coach had to be the fucking worst in the league, people didn't even know their assignments on basic running plays. Just laughably horrible when looking at the tape.

We should look at getting a legit fullback, hell even using Holtz there last year improved our running game. Nagy has to get his head out of his ass and realize having a BALANCED attack is the best way to be unpredictable and successful. And all the runs out of shotgun kept failing yet he kept doing it for at least 3/4 of the season until he actually used I formation a few times later in the season (which worked).

I hope one of the new assistants just takes charge of the entire running scheme because Nagy sucks at it. Sprinkling in 1 run for every 10 plays isn't going to get any RB or OL in a groove at all.

We couldn't run even when we got 5 in the box.

This oline couldn't win when its just 5v5.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Bump.

look at Jordan Howards production. He was a pretty good RB that had a large drop off because our OL took a shit in 2018 and got worse in 2019. So looking at 2018 Howard vs 2019 Montgomery the production was almost identical between both of them. They both averaged 3.7ypc and where right around 900 yards. Howard a little over but had more carries.

Howard in 2019 went back up to 4.4 ypc. So its obvious that the bad OL the bears had really hurt Howard. So its logical to also think it hurt Montgomery as well. If we can fix the OL issues then I would expect more from Montgomery..

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

Hate to break this to ya, but our O-line was still complete dogshit when Whitehair went to Center. It didn't improve at all.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Pace never panics.

#conviction