Pau Gasol To Chicago Bulls, Carlos Boozer toLakers in Proposed Sign-and-Trade

Cerebral

Liked Posts:
Incoming free-agent forward Pau Gasol has expressed his interest in playing alongside former MVP point guard Derrick Rose next season, making the Chicago Bulls one of the clear-cut favorites to land the four-time All-Star.

Gasol, who averaged 17.4 points, 9.7 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in perhaps his final season with the purple and gold jersey, is expected to be one of the most coveted big men available on the free-agency market.

The lanky seven-footer repeatedly stressed that he wants to join a championship-caliber ballclub, where he can play a major role in the lineup. The Memphis Grizzlies have been the most likely destination for Pau at this point of his career, given the presence of his All-Star brother Marc Gasol.

The Phoenix Suns, San Antonio Spurs, Cleveland Cavaliers and the Toronto Raptors are also in the mix to land Gasol. However, a recent interview showed Gasol's great interest in playing alongside a 'healthy' Rose and an up-and-coming point forward Nikola Mirotic.

"The Chicago Bulls, with the return of Derrick Rose and the possible addition of Nikola Mirotic, could be an interesting team," Gasol said an interview last week via SB Nation Chicago Bulls blog.

According to SB Nation writer Joy Patt, Gasol could be an intriguing option for the Bulls because of their need to fill the slack in their frontcourt, especially at the power forward position. Then again, using a big portion of their cap space for the 33-year old Gasol would be too risky for the Bulls, who are in a win-now mode.

"Gasol could be an intriguing option with the Bulls because of his skill set and the need for some frontcourt help, but the price would have to be just right due to his age and injury problems," SB Nation stated.

"He made over $19 million this past season, and although he's obviously not going to make nearly that much annually going forward, he still could be looking for a somewhat lucrative deal."

The Bulls are reportedly trying to part ways with Carlos Boozer via trade, and Gasol could be a nice target in a sign-and-trade move. With Boozer's contract expiring in 2015, the Lakers can surely pull off a deal if they want to have a solid compensation for letting Gasol join another team.

"If he were willing to take a major discount and come for cheap, sure, I'd be more willing to do that. Another option is attempting to engage the Lakers in sign-and-trade discussions involving Carlos Boozer. I'm not sure how receptive the Lakers would be to those talks, but they do have a ton of cap space and acquiring Boozer wouldn't ruin their 2015 plan."

The lure of forming a formidable frontcourt core of Gasol, Joakim Noah, Taj Gibson and Mirotic is surely hard for the front office to snub. That only means the summer of 2014 will be an interesting one for the Bulls, as the franchise looks to get back to elite status.

"In the end, Gasol wouldn't be one of my first choices this offseason, but the Bulls could probably do worse if they were able to get him on a reasonable deal. Potentially having a frontcourt of Gasol, Mirotic, Joakim Noah and Taj Gibson would be pretty impressive, and maybe Pau could stay healthier in a more limited role," via SB Nation.

I don't see it.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/5532...trade-nba-news-lakers-rumors.htm#.U33tCihDN_c

Liked Posts:
I don't see it either....but at the right price it might be interesting

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Lakers would want Boozer because why?

Cerebral

Liked Posts:
The Lakers would want Boozer because why?

The only reason I could see the Lakers wanting to do this is

A) Boozer's contract runs out after next season so that still frees up cap space
B) The Bulls would probably sweeten the deal by throwing some draft picks in to a team that is obviously rebuilding.

I mean Gasol is a free agent so he could walk away from them for nothing but by doing a S&T, at least they get something.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only reason I could see the Lakers wanting to do this is

A) Boozer's contract runs out after next season so that still frees up cap space
B) The Bulls would probably sweeten the deal by throwing some draft picks in to a team that is obviously rebuilding.

I mean Gasol is a free agent so he could walk away from them for nothing but by doing a S&T, at least they get something.

I don't get why the Bulls would throw draft picks at the Lakers if they could just sign Gasol outright.

If the Lakers actually wanted Boozer- they could just claim him off of amnesty waivers. This trade doesn't make sense at all.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dave McMenamin (ESPN LA) was just on The Herd and said the Lakers should/will consider trading #7 for Thibs.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
shiiiiiiiiiit do the trade lol lol for #7 that is. Rumor of us trading for gasol sure brings us down from the highs of getting love

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
btw can the old guys on la handle thibs minutes?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right now the Lakers are realizing Kobe isn't worth 25 million per season anymore, they have no picks, coach, and are devoid of talent, and nobody wants to play for them and get roasted by a spoiled media that thinks they can go overnight from sucking to championships despite Kobe and Gasol being their best players and well....

Boozer might actually sound pretty good in their situation when they realize Kevin Love, Melo, and anything smelling the slightest of talent doesn't really want to rebuild there in a three year process.

Cerebral

Liked Posts:
I don't get why the Bulls would throw draft picks at the Lakers if they could just sign Gasol outright.

If the Lakers actually wanted Boozer- they could just claim him off of amnesty waivers. This trade doesn't make sense at all.

Well for one maybe they're hearing that Gasol's price range is out of reach for the Bulls with their MLE. As far as the Lakers claiming Boozer, if they do the trade they still get Boozer and draft picks. I guess I'm just looking at it as a franchise trying to acquire assets without having anything to give. Gasol is a free agent so if they can still make something off of him I think they'll consider it.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right now the Lakers are realizing Kobe isn't worth 25 million per season anymore, they have no picks, coach, and are devoid of talent, and nobody wants to play for them and get roasted by a spoiled media that thinks they can go overnight from sucking to championships despite Kobe and Gasol being their best players and well....

Boozer might actually sound pretty good in their situation when they realize Kevin Love, Melo, and anything smelling the slightest of talent doesn't really want to rebuild there in a three year process.

What?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Getting Gasol in a sign and trade makes sense straight up for Boozer if the price isn't high and could be a pretty good contingency plan. Gasol
would fit well in Thibs system. Maybe a two year deal with a mutual option for a 3rd year?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

this is from bleacher report "The issue with any trade the Lakers endeavor to make is that they have almost nothing to offer.

Their future draft picks are mostly locked up from the Dwight Howard and Steve Nash all-in efforts, and they can’t even trade this No. 7 pick without getting a 2014 first-rounder back because of NBA rules. (The Lakers could pick a player at No. 7 and then trade him, however.) Trading the pick for more immediate help that isn’t at Love’s level will be an option to explore.

But how the Lakers could put together a package good enough to get Love or even the No. 3 overall pick isn’t clear at all. So the team will probably wind up using the pick—meaning someone from the group of Exum, Vonleh, Smart, Randle and Gordon will be coming to town."

link http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...eles-lakers-after-disappointing-draft-lottery

I was speaking generally and exaggerating, as I don't know what picks they have other than #7. But #7 is not "no picks" either....I just mean their system is devoid and lacking and will be 3-4 years before they can fully rebuild with picks and cap space.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
its interesting Gasol wants to win and has targeted us, I thought he sounded pretty informed about what we had and I'm excited Gasol is excited about Mirotic who he would know of from Spanish connections.

I hope we are smart and don't mortgage our wealth of picks for an aging vet. Gasol can come for cheap, his market value, or he can come on a sign and trade that relieves us of burden of Boozer.

If they get Thibs I want the #7 and/or Kobe for Boozer....so not likely. Boozer for a Gasol on MLE would be fin with me

otherwise what is our advantage? Lets get Rose back, bring over Mirotic, draft a scorer and a big, amnesty or trade Boozer for more low level assets, hope the Kings pick well and we could have 2 firsts again next year or the year after.

Melo is fine with me if we don't lose too much. Still do everything above, but Melo means trading Dunleavy/Gibson which should be movable in a package, but you can't move dollars without gaining dollars right? so I don't see how that helps us yet,

I suppose Gibson/Dunleavy and some picks for Love would make me happy enough, but they are likley to prefer other offers unless those two firsts this year entice them

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:

Because Jerry wouldn't have to pay Boozer to play for another team if they trade him

another move that would make the Bulls look cheap

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Gasoft and Marshmellow.

Jimmy is going to play 48mpg, and Jo will be diving for balls with knee braces next year.

czman

Liked Posts:
Because Jerry wouldn't have to pay Boozer to play for another team if they trade him

another move that would make the Bulls look cheap

^this. I really hope the Bulls don't go this route.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Gasol to Chicago if the Melo and Love talks fell through. Gasol is better than Boozer at this point and Gasol's game won't diminish as much with age. Gasol can actually get his own shot in the post which is something the Bulls really haven't had and his issues defensively would be masked by the likes of Noah and Gibson. It would be actually be a positive move.

The problem with that is it leaves no room for Mirotic. Gasol and Gibson would command all the minutes at PF and Mirotic would get little to no playing time so I doubt he comes over without the guarantee of some substantial minutes.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
First, the Australian International Business Times isn't even my 75th source for NBA trade rumors. And Proposed seems to be proposed by the author of the story not Mitch Kupchak or John Paxson.

The other thing is would the Lakers plan be getting Boozer's fat expiring contract. If their plan is to go for 2015 FAs then getting Boozer makes sense. He could score some points and the Lakers will not embarrass themselves by putting a lousy losing team out there and tanking, their fans wouldn't stand for it. After that how does Gasol a 4 figure to play with stretch 4 Mirotic who by all accounts isn't going to be an NBA 3?

Dave McMenamin (ESPN LA) was just on The Herd and said the Lakers should/will consider trading #7 for Thibs.

Jump on that and ride it to the house.