Permanent GM Interviews To Begin

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why? Doesn't really make sense that they would make him a part of the search committee, only to give him the job.

I'd rather have guys like Hossa, Sharp, and Olczyk helping the GM search than the same suits/geniuses who promoted Bowman of all people. Anyone can lay an egg, including these guys, but still.

If they pick Chelios though, I will flip my shit.
I like the idea of getting the great ex-players involved,especially the ones like Big Hoss who knew the game inside out and Edzo knows more about hockey than the '2017 liquor executive of the year',the president of business opps and the 33yro former video coach combined IMO.......all yuks aside.

Hossa, Olczyk and Sharp to assist in Hawks' GM search

Sounds like 'Prince Daniel',Jamie Faulkner and the guy from Sportsology will be "leading the search" .........wonderful!

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
VVV

That is my thought on the process: For as much as he needs to stop it right there about the soft serve, Eddie O does know hockey--especially the modern game. Sharp as well--he seemed to have gotten to All-star level by learning the game and doing what needs to be done rather than relying on innate talent and things just coming to him. This could be exemplified in Hossa as well. They know the game, they know the needs in Today's game, and I think more so with respect to Sharp and Hossa they were there for a lot of Bowman's mistakes. They could also take an objective look at where the 'hawks are and make educated guesses about where they need to move for future success, as well as being able to give input as to which GM's can likely move them in that direction and ones doing a Stan Bowman-like horse-trading act.

There's also rumblings that by letting these guys advise that it's insulating the Wirtzes, but still I'll be a bloody ray of fuckin' sunshine and think that they are doing this to bring actual hockey minds into the equation.
Again, none of these guys are qualified to have any type of opinion on hiring a GM.

Player evaluation? Sure. But managing a franchise? Nope.

It’s more homer speak from the Hawks PR team to accommodate the meat heads.

Wasnt Eddie Doh a horrible coach worse then Colonton with a young Sid and Mario at his disposal? Sure he was. Didn’t they become a power house the next year? Sure they did. That’s all I need to know about his “modern hockey” acumen and that most of his drivel is lip service. If they think his breaking down plays on replays is some sort of miraculous foresight then this franchise is doomed. “See, Pat, he should have been here instead of there” is so fruitless you could get a top NHL2k player to give you better results with a wireless controller.

If the three of them don’t say “bring back Tallon, public opinion be dammed “ there’s an issue considering Tallon has built two power houses in his career as a GM. Tallon would be the only GM with the balls to start scorched earth in what sounds like owners want to quick fix. With McCreeper gone I can’t see a reason why not to bring him back.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
I like the idea of getting the great ex-players involved,especially the ones like Big Hoss who knew the game inside out and Edzo knows more about hockey than the '2017 liquor executive of the year',the president of business opps and the 33yro former video coach combined IMO.......all yuks aside.

Hossa, Olczyk and Sharp to assist in Hawks' GM search

Sounds like 'Prince Daniel',Jamie Faulkner and the guy from Sportsology will be "leading the search" .........wonderful!
I don’t like this idea, at all.

You are talking about two players who wouldn’t be as effective if they were in their primes playing the game right now.

Hockey evolves rapidly and the things Hossa was doing back then are things Drai is doing at a much higher level today. You can make an argument Hagel is a better Sharp 5v5 and is a better forechecking forward then Sharp ever was.

A GM needs to come in here with his own vision and clean house. Asking players who were relevant a decade ago for input is the new “Pully” considering Dollar Bill leaned on the guy because he was part of a dynasty for what seemed like a century.

Hockey is relying on analytical analysis as much as baseball in this day and age. Which of these guys is an analytical savant?

Granada

Liked Posts:
Again, none of these guys are qualified to have any type of opinion on hiring a GM.

It’s more homer speak from the Hawks PR team to accommodate the meat heads.

Wasnt Eddie Doh a horrible coach worse then Colonton with a young Sid and Mario at his disposal? Sure he was. Didn’t they become a power house the next year? Sure they did. That’s all I need to know about his “modern hockey” acumen and that most of his drivel is lip service. If they think his breaking down plays on replays is some sort of miraculous foresight then this franchise is doomed. “See, Pat, he should have been here instead of there” is so fruitless you could get a top NHL2k player to give you better results with a wireless controller.

If the three of them don’t say “bring back Tallon, public opinion be dammed “ there’s an issue considering Tallon has built two power houses in his career as a GM. Tallon would be the only GM with the balls to start scorched earth in what sounds like owners want to quick fix. With McCreeper gone I can’t see a reason why not to bring him back.
I liked Tallon as much as the next guy and scorched this org when they made him the fall guy over the QO's, but it's over. He's not coming back.

I don't see this as catering to meat head fans. The org did not need to do this in the slightest, I don't know why anyone would think that. If anything, I see this as the org admitting they need help choosing a GM; I'd rather they admit that than not. If they're not qualified, who is? The same people who promoted Bowman?

Granada

Liked Posts:
I don’t like this idea, at all.

You are talking about two players who wouldn’t be as effective if they were in their primes playing the game right now.

Hockey evolves rapidly and the things Hossa was doing back then are things Drai is doing at a much higher level today. You can make an argument Hagel is a better Sharp 5v5 and is a better forechecking forward then Sharp ever was.

A GM needs to come in here with his own vision and clean house. Asking players who were relevant a decade ago for input is the new “Pully” considering Dollar Bill leaned on the guy because he was part of a dynasty for what seemed like a century.

Hockey is relying on analytical analysis as much as baseball in this day and age. Which of these guys is an analytical savant?
Analytics is what got us Colliton.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Analytics is what got us Colliton.
That is just so correct. It's like metrics in MLB. Get someone on here who can look at a player and recognize talent. Use your eyes.... it's why God gave them to you. Use your ears to interact. Fuck the numbers bullshit.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Yes they are. Player evaluation is a critical component of being a GM. Those 3 know hockey more than anyone else in the 'hawks organization right now (except *maybe* Marc Crawford). They should be able to tell Danny if a GM candidate knows something about the game or is a wannabe, like our previous GM. That's why they are in as advisors. Others can advise Danny on how well the candidates can run the business side of things.

Any well-run business nowadays who's hiring a manager always gets input from those in-the-know for what the manager will be managing--especially if the hiring team doesn't have a clue about the field their prospective manager will be managing. To wit: a well-run business which wants to hire an engineering manager will seek advice from engineers--especially if the hiring team is just MBA's. Even if the engineers do not know about business management expected from an engineering manager, they could tell those MBA's which prospective engineering manager actually knows engineering enough to manage effectively, and which ones are trying to pull a snowjob on them.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That is just so correct. It's like metrics in MLB. Get someone on here who can look at a player and recognize talent. Use your eyes.... it's why God gave them to you. Use your ears to interact. Fuck the numbers bullshit.
Analytics, like all stats, have to be taken within context. They can't be used 100% in a vacuum. Eye-tests help. Bit in the same vein stats can give context to the eye-test.

I think there was a major over-reliance on analytics per JC's situation as well as a definite lack of eye-test.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Yes they are. Player evaluation is a critical component of being a GM. Those 3 know hockey more than anyone else in the 'hawks organization right now (except *maybe* Marc Crawford). They should be able to tell Danny if a GM candidate knows something about the game or is a wannabe, like our previous GM. That's why they are in as advisors. Others can advise Danny on how well the candidates can run the business side of things.

Any well-run business nowadays who's hiring a manager always gets input from those in-the-know for what the manager will be managing--especially if the hiring team doesn't have a clue about the field their prospective manager will be managing. To wit: a well-run business which wants to hire an engineering manager will seek advice from engineers--especially if the hiring team is just MBA's. Even if the engineers do not know about business management expected from an engineering manager, they could tell those MBA's which prospective engineering manager actually knows engineering enough to manage effectively, and which ones are trying to pull a snowjob on them.
Again, I highly doubt these guys are knowledgeable in the current landscape of the NHL. It’s like asking somebody who ate hamburgers religiously ten years ago to pick out the best burger out of a pile of burgers on the market today. It’s meatball logic.

It’s like asking Ryne Sandburg who he thinks would be a good choice of GM would be for the Cubs. Or Dan Hampton who the next Bears GM should be.

If the higher ups are having that much of a problem that they need to go this route, there’s a problem. You have to wonder why people have positions of power yet are relying on players from ten years ago to provide input on making a huge decision.

This is why it’s a sham. It’s more social circling the tents to give fans something positive then anything. The chances are they already have somebody in mind then what Patrick Sharp thinks is a lot higher then this façade.

Sorry guys, not buying it. Any sports franchise that covers up male rape isn’t high on my trust meter with anything they spew. It sounds more like if the next GM fails they can say something like “well Marian Hossa said he was good”.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Again, I highly doubt these guys are knowledgeable in the current landscape of the NHL. It’s like asking somebody who ate hamburgers religiously ten years ago to pick out the best burger out of a pile of burgers on the market today. It’s meatball logic.

It’s like asking Ryne Sandburg who he thinks would be a good choice of GM would be for the Cubs. Or Dan Hampton who the next Bears GM should be.

If the higher ups are having that much of a problem that they need to go this route, there’s a problem. You have to wonder why people have positions of power yet are relying on players from ten years ago to provide input on making a huge decision.

This is why it’s a sham. It’s more social circling the tents to give fans something positive then anything. The chances are they already have somebody in mind then what Patrick Sharp thinks is a lot higher then this façade.

Sorry guys, not buying it. Any sports franchise that covers up male rape isn’t high on my trust meter with anything they spew. It sounds more like if the next GM fails they can say something like “well Marian Hossa said he was good”.
You're making way too much out of this.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
You're making way too much out of this.
Perhaps, but I point out meatballism when I see it.

If I’m the Hawks, I’m surely not posting socially that two players from a tainted Cup are helping find the next GM.

If I was the Hawks, I would be having a sit down with the core players already on the roster and asking them what type of direction they want the team to go in and using that info to try and narrow the search, not washed up players who haven’t played in how many years.

Why would you ask Marian Hossa to help find a GM and not teach the current players how to back check?

Granada

Liked Posts:
Perhaps, but I point out meatballism when I see it.

If I’m the Hawks, I’m surely not posting socially that two players from a tainted Cup are helping find the next GM.

If I was the Hawks, I would be having a sit down with the core players already on the roster and asking them what type of direction they want the team to go in and using that info to try and narrow the search, not washed up players who haven’t played in how many years.

Why would you ask Marian Hossa to help find a GM and not teach the current players how to back check?
Evidently you really like using this term, but this has nothing to do with "meatballism." The Hawks didn't create a committee -- that literally nobody asked for, expected, or would have missed had it never been created -- simply to appease the fans.

It's also odd you're against input from old players, yet you're cool getting input from current players. Either way, I think it's a silly thing to bitch about. At least right now, before a selection is even made. If you believe that the Hawks have somebody in mind and the committee is just for show, then I really don't understand bitching about it, because it's a foregone conclusion anyway. But whatever floats your boat.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Evidently you really like using this term, but this has nothing to do with "meatballism." The Hawks didn't create a committee -- that literally nobody asked for, expected, or would have missed had it never been created -- simply to appease the fans.

It's also odd you're against input from old players, yet you're cool getting input from current players. Either way, I think it's a silly thing to bitch about. At least right now, before a selection is even made. If you believe that the Hawks have somebody in mind and the committee is just for show, then I really don't understand bitching about it, because it's a foregone conclusion anyway. But whatever floats your boat.
Nah, it’s just me wanting an actual GM in there who’s willing to tear it down and start from scratch.

I don’t want any more band aids on this team. I want somebody who has a plan, not some manufactured bullshit lip service.

Dean Lombardi or Tallon. Get rid of Kelly and start this rebuild once and for all.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
And after seeing Rocky blow up on the media I really could give two shits who they choose as GM.

Fucking embarrassing

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lots of empty seats tonight........a highly unprofessional display by the owner, an incredibly inept team and a dwindling fanbase.

Not a good day for the Blackhawks.

An even worse day to be a Blackhawk fan.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lots of empty seats tonight........a highly unprofessional display by the owner, an incredibly inept team and a dwindling fanbase.

Not a good day for the Blackhawks.

An even worse day to be a Blackhawk fan.
Like I mentioned to @hawkinmontreal in a previous thread: I have that train wreck fascination to see just how bad things can get. The PR Nightmare Rocky caused was bad--like a Mongolian Clusterfuck. But on the flipside I am curious as to what complete pants-downer happens to the team now. What can come out of left field and blindside the fans?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

There's too much hyperbole in your post. Hossa last played in 2016--6 years ago. Sharp retired in 2018--4 years ago.

Ryan Sandberg last played in 1997. Dan Hampton retired in 1990. You're talking 25 and 30 years vs. 4 and 6. One of these things is not like the other. The 'hawks Hossa and the 'hawks sharp (1st go-around) would both be just fine in the league today

Any good manager (and I know there's aren't many) will always seek council if they need input on something that is not their forte. Daniel is not a hockey mind. If he wants hockey minds in on the decision, all the better. And maybe you're right that it is a snowjob and they're just using it to insulate themselves, but let's be real here: Both Sharp and Hossa were the type of players who became great by knowing the ins-and-outs of the game at the fundamental level and executing as opposed to relying on a skill or a talent that they had which no one else did. They aren't like Kane in that respect.

Even if Hossa is a scant 6 years out of the league, he's closer to the modern game that Scotty Bowman--ditto for Sharp and his scant 4 years out of the game. The game has barely changed in that time.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
There's too much hyperbole in your post. Hossa last played in 2016--6 years ago. Sharp retired in 2018--4 years ago.

Ryan Sandberg last played in 1997. Dan Hampton retired in 1990. You're talking 25 and 30 years vs. 4 and 6. One of these things is not like the other. The 'hawks Hossa and the 'hawks sharp (1st go-around) would both be just fine in the league today

Any good manager (and I know there's aren't many) will always seek council if they need input on something that is not their forte. Daniel is not a hockey mind. If he wants hockey minds in on the decision, all the better. And maybe you're right that it is a snowjob and they're just using it to insulate themselves, but let's be real here: Both Sharp and Hossa were the type of players who became great by knowing the ins-and-outs of the game at the fundamental level and executing as opposed to relying on a skill or a talent that they had which no one else did. They aren't like Kane in that respect.

Even if Hossa is a scant 6 years out of the league, he's closer to the modern game that Scotty Bowman--ditto for Sharp and his scant 4 years out of the game. The game has barely changed in that time.
No, it has.

Hockey evolves quicker then other sports considering there’s multiple schemes in this day and age that, depending on the skill set and talent you have, can be successful. You just have to have the entire team on the same page.

Vegas wasn’t supposed to be this good from the jump. They are because they have a system in place that works for their skill set. The Hawks are a joke because they don’t have an identity outside of being a league wide laughing stock further down the ladder after the complete stupidity of their entitled owner yesterday, and that’s the problem.

Four years out this league right now is like 10. The speed of the league with the influx of younger talent is five times faster then four years ago. I really can care less who the next GM is after yesterdays fiasco, but if I was invested, I would be asking current players instead of relics from yesterday what direction they want this team to go in, and weigh my options with that knowledge instead of guys who won Cups seven years ago.

Sorry, I don’t think these guys offer any more insight then a fan would. Gretzky is the GOAT and has failed at everything else but playing hockey. Same with Jordan in basketball. I would no doubt want them on my team but have no say so in picking a person to general manage it.