Pete King thinks Trask could go in the 1st round

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Because the “experts” predict more qb’s going in the first round every year than actually do. As much as teams need a QB, they’re not going to reach that far based on the grades of other players. That’s like saying teams would take a 3 round graded Tackle in the first round because they “need” one and all of 1st round graded ones are gone.

5 QBs are going round 1, almost certainly in the top 10. I don't think it's in unreasonable to think 1 more will sneak in.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
5 QBs are going round 1, almost certainly in the top 10. I don't think it's in unreasonable to think 1 more will sneak in.

I can't argue with you that 5 are probably going in the top 7, if that, with the big head shaker going down at 3 with Jones, but let's hope it's not the Bears who party like it's '99 and grab a QB in the first because everybody else is doing it, so why can't we?

Mills in the first. I just can't. Maybe in the 3rd or 5th, but first? No Friggin' way.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I can't argue with you that 5 are probably going in the top 7, if that, with the big head shaker going down at 3 with Jones, but let's hope it's not the Bears who party like it's '99 and grab a QB in the first because everybody else is doing it, so why can't we?

Mills in the first. I just can't. Maybe in the 3rd or 5th, but first? No Friggin' way.

I agree on Mills but all it takes is one team. And I'm not saying 7 or even 6 qbs will go round 1 just that it's possible. The NFL has gone QB crazy.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Been saying 6 QB's in round one for a while.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Obviously, pure speculation on his part but what isn’t this time of year.

Assuming Pace misses out on the top 5, could this be his guy?

Nagy likes a pocket passer and he did play well against the very best SEC teams in 2020 and you throw out the Cotton bowl where the top 4 receivers didn’t play.

George loves the pick and extends Pace/Nagy another 4 years regardless of record.

CCS has another epic meltdown,

According to NBC Sports' Peter King, Trask could be selected in the first round. During his Football Morning in America column published earlier this week, King stated, "I’m starting to think Kyle Trask, the Florida quarterback, has a good chance to be the sixth first-round quarterback. Starting to think:"

1st-Jones, now Trask, can Mond be far behind ?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
What this shows is the pass pro was able to pick up the blitz and pressure for Jones, Wilson, Trask and Lawrence . These stats don't show being physically flushed outta the pocket and have to make a play on the move.

Best QBs on throws outside of the pocket | PFF News & Analysis
This NFL analysis is from 2017. We need this study for college Qb's in 2020

Judging by the top 4 QBs on that list, you just disproved your theory that throws outside the pocket is a meaningful stat for success.

I never said anything about "success". Please reread what I actually said in the first quote. Thanks.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I will say that someone always falls, even if no one thinks they will. It's why I was actually pretty optimistic about the Bears getting one of the top 5 QBs. Now that we see the jockeying for position in this year's draft, though, I think this year might be the exception rather than the rule.

I'm expecting 5 of the first 6-7 picks to be QBs. I could be wrong, but it seems that way.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I will say that someone always falls, even if no one thinks they will. It's why I was actually pretty optimistic about the Bears getting one of the top 5 QBs. Now that we see the jockeying for position in this year's draft, though, I think this year might be the exception rather than the rule.

I'm expecting 5 of the first 6-7 picks to be QBs. I could be wrong, but it seems that way.
I agree. I can not remember the last time a team traded for the #3 pick, so far in advance of the draft. SF must have 3 QBs that they are willing to stake the future on.

As far as we know they might have 4 QBs on the board and that means at the very least they will have two from which to pick, so moving to pick #3 makes sense for them.

Last edited:

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Trask stats say he is a first rounder. He was neck to neck most of the year with Mac Jones for best college QB this season and was a projected first rounder until his last college game where he was missing his top 4 receiving options.

Somehow his stock has catered due to "speed"....yet its the media crying about the black QBs stock dropping when in reality it is Trask that has unfairly dropped the most since the end of the season.

To me, I think he has a higher floor than Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, and Fields. His ceiling may not be as high since he will never be a dual threat QB, but he could easily become a younger version of Ben Roethlisberger.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:

I'm personally very underwhelmed with this draft class. Maybe its just that there is less tape out from players, especially from the Big 10 and Pac 12.

But overall I get a sense that teams are far more eager to trade up in the top 8 or so because they don't see the value later in the draft.

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
I never said anything about "success". Please reread what I actually said in the first quote. Thanks.

Fair enough. It seemed you were inferring that, but let's drop "success" and end the sentence with meaningful stat.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm personally very underwhelmed with this draft class. Maybe its just that there is less tape out from players, especially from the Big 10 and Pac 12.

But overall I get a sense that teams are far more eager to trade up in the top 8 or so because they don't see the value later in the draft.
You could be right. With the lack of tape, you have to rely on pro days... making more qb's appear better than they actually are?

Just a thought.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
The evaluations are all over the place on Trask. I have seen as low as a 4th, which personally I cannot believe. 2nd round seems to be the most consistent due to great throwing ability but lack of athleticism.

I like the NFL.com grade, 6.19 "good backup who could be starter". For QBs I think that is a 2nd to early 3rd at the latest.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
To me, I think he has a higher floor than Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, and Fields.
I only agree on Lance. Wilson and Fields can and do make pro throws as well, and their pocket mobility is a huge plus at the pro level vs. Trask. I see Trask's ceiling as Kirk Cousins, which is just fine. A guy who quietly has put up a career 97.9 QBR.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I bet the Washington Football Team drafts him.

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
I got some flak for saying this in another thread, but he’s generally not accurate enough (particularly with short rhythm passing) to make up for his ho-hum arm strength and lack of mobility.

I do like that he ran the system so well and that he seemed to show up in big games. I think third or fourth round makes since.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I think Trask will go in the second round. So here is a thought, if the Bears like Trask trade out of the first round for extra picks this year and take Trask with one of your seconds.