Peter Gammons: "it's a dump, Wrigley Field."

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why? It's still in Chicago and you don't have to drive to Milwaukee or STL. And it's for the greater good if they need to time to renovate/rebuild Wrigley Field. Life goes on. It's still the Cubs playing, it's just a different field.

Why? Because I can't stand the Cubs and 90% of their fans.

If you don't like the answer, sorry, but you asked :p

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
True, but JR has the final say, even over our "Bud" Selig. And JR has said in the past he wouldn't let the Cubs play in USCF because the Cubs wouldn't let the Sox use Wrigley while USFC was being built. What would they do? Obviously they wouldn't relocate out of Chicago-metro on a permanent basis, but if Wrigley is unusable, they aren't allowed to play at the Cell and the City/State and ownsership can't afford a new stadium then what do they do?

I don't know. It's definitely burdensome to be held hostage by the neighborhood and landmark statutes and all the other crap. Sucks to be a Cub.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why? Because I can't stand the Cubs and 90% of their fans.

If you don't like the answer, sorry, but you asked :p

:lol: You could always NOT go to the Cubs games that don't involve the White Sox.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
While I don't doubt the validity of the report, is it possible that this is leverage? Ricketts painted himself into a corner when he first went to the state for money because he has said that the Cubs are staying in Wrigley. Floating it around baseball that Wrigley might not make it muhc longer might be an attempt to try to strong arm the state into helping with the rehab that Wrigley needs to remain functional. Just a thought when I first read the article.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
While I don't doubt the validity of the report, is it possible that this is leverage? Ricketts painted himself into a corner when he first went to the state for money because he has said that the Cubs are staying in Wrigley. Floating it around baseball that Wrigley might not make it muhc longer might be an attempt to try to strong arm the state into helping with the rehab that Wrigley needs to remain functional. Just a thought when I first read the article.

Sure it could be leverage. Who really wants to foot the entire bill for a half billion dollar renovation project, right? :D

At the same time, you can't deny that the stadium is old and unfortunately dying, and someone's going to have to pay to keep it standing or else the Cubs will be a team without a home.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets

Right, and that is certainly a possibility, but Ricketts does need new revenue streams inside the park - but now for the first time it is being hinted it may be too late to renovate. He may have to play the suburb card on the city.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right, and that is certainly a possibility, but Ricketts does need new revenue streams inside the park - but now for the first time it is being hinted it may be too late to renovate. He may have to play the suburb card on the city.

As long as it's on the Blue Line or a Metra or they actually have decent parking rates I'm cool with that :D

They should tear down that ugly Toyota sign in the meantime and put up a Jumbotron sponsored by Toyota and United and Bob's Proctology. As long as it makes money.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

That is what I was getting at. When Ricketts came in everything was I have no intention of leaving Wrigley. So he had zero leverage when he asked the state for money. Now he starts having unnamed sources floating that Wrigley might not be saveable. Now there is leverage because as much as the neighborhood complains about the problems of Wrigley it drives the entire economy there.

Rick

Liked Posts:
BUMP:

Stark: Cubs officials claim Wrigley maybe beyond rehab - Cubs Insider

So what do the Cubbies do?

You cannot overhaul it the way Fenway Park was, while Boston's Fenway park did open in 1912, most of Fenway was rebuilt in 1934 because most of the park burnt down in a fire on January 5th, 1934. So Fenway's infrastructure wasn't as deteriorated as Wrigleys currently is. Old wodden grandstands were replaced with concrete and steel ones. But even if the Cubs did have an option to pick up renovate? Who would pick up the bill? Ricketts sunk almost most of his fortune in the purchase of the Cubs and the state can't afford to pay it as Illinois is broke.

Do the Cubs come to U.S. Cellular Field for a couple of seasons? You have to look at this from a financial point. Yes, having the Cubbies playing at the Cell would generate money for the White Sox from taking parts of parking, concession, ticket sales and probably a small rent fee. But in the grander scheme of things, the Cubs are the White Sox rival competition for the summer. If the Cubs are forced to vacate to Miller Park or Busch Stadium for a year or two while New Wrigley is build or heavy renovations begin, its much simpler to take in a Sox game in town then drive 90 miles north or 300 miles south to St. Louis.

Where does this leave the Cubs?

The Cubs have got to get a new stadium. I've been saying it for 8 years now since there were first reports of concrete falling. It's a great place to watch a game and I've loved the place but Cubs fans need to let it go. There's no way the Cubs can still play there for another 20 years.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
No way we go to Busch or Miller, simply no way.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm usually leary of guys that come from "smaller market" teams or at least teams with tighter pruse strings....then they come to a larger market and payroll team. I think it can lead to some "teenager with the parent's credit card" mentality.

I'd rather bring someone over with experience inside a big market and large payroll organization.

I like the way Boston has built under Theo. No way Bill James leaves his cushiony advisor position there and i don't think Bill James is GM material...but someone from that team would be interesting and might be a nice fit. Plus in someways a very similar situation.

:smug:

Last edited:

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Attendance is only on pace to be about 245000 below last years. Or under 10%. It's not like it's down 30% or something, and in order to fill the seats they need a winner and in order to get a winner they will have to sign one of the big two.

Fielder will be here next year bank on it.

:andruw:

Randomly remembered poodski being adamant about the Cubs signing Fielder.
Also just realized Co posted the other day.

Damn. Throwback day

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
the playing field is what i hate. no foul ground, no bullpens, brick in the outfield wall, really? still, its 2011, put some padding on that shit, take down those gays as baskets, and get some real bullpens. but Cubs people hate change, so nothing ill change.

Let me know your plan for adding foul ground.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I personally think they should have built new - no reason you can't build a new park that is similar to Wrigley but larger and with all the modern amenities.

It's not like you have to build a parking garage like US Cellular. You can actually build a great looking stadium. Pouring $500 million into Wrigley is a mistake.

I love Wrigley through the years as much as anyone. But build new.

Bears1234

Liked Posts:
I have come to the conclusion that it is indeed wrigley that is the curse.. It needs to be torn down right away why is it still here there is no history of winning, it smells like piss, and the only thing cool about it is the ivy...its time for cubbie fans to let it go. The only reason lambaeu field is still around is because of the history of winning. The cubbies dont have that...Fuck wrigley and all the cunts that want to keep its sad and not helping your team draw good players..Plus it smells like piss and shit fermented in a plastic bottle which is later inhaled in the bleachers formerly known as JENKUM!!!!!!!!!!

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have come to the conclusion that it is indeed wrigley that is the curse.. It needs to be torn down right away why is it still here there is no history of winning, it smells like piss, and the only thing cool about it is the ivy...its time for cubbie fans to let it go. The only reason lambaeu field is still around is because of the history of winning. The cubbies dont have that...Fuck wrigley and all the cunts that want to keep its sad and not helping your team draw good players..Plus it smells like piss and shit fermented in a plastic bottle which is later inhaled in the bleachers formerly known as JENKUM!!!!!!!!!!

gold. :andruw:

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
I'd rather play at Miller Park than the Cell. I've been to a large amount of MLB stadiums and the Cell would have to rank as one of my least favorite. Not the fans or the team, the stadium itself. The atmosphere is nothing to look forward to either, but that can be said of many stadiums.

Fenway Park is probably my favorite. Went there a couple weeks ago for the Yankees series. I think the Cubs would be wise to model the renovations at Wrigley after what Boston did to Fenway. First thing is build a support system outside the stadium to allow them to get rid of the fucking poles in the view of those who don't choose to spend much on tickets in the 500 level. Same could be said about the 200 level