PFF: Dexter Under Pressure to Perform

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

The Chicago Bears transformed their offense this offseason in preparation for Caleb Williams to take over at quarterback and propel the team forward.

Though they made a couple of strategic additions on defense, the overall approach has been more one of keeping faith with the young players they have in place and letting them improve as they develop.

One of those key defensive players is the team's 2023 second-round defensive tackle, Gervon Dexter.

Dexter flashed potential as a rookie, and the Bears are extremely high on him, but he recorded a 36.2 PFF run-defense grade in his first season. His pass-rush production was significantly better, with 29 total pressures coming from 297 pass-rushing snaps, but Dexter needs to take that leap in Year 2 to justify Chicago’s faith and not put a cap on how good this defense can be.

I didn’t realize he was that awful against the run.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
So he’s not important or something? The guy was the 64th overall pick and they clearly are counting on him being a big part of the rotation. He’s under just as much pressure as Dexter.
Typically not a great strategy to be relying on a late 2nd and early 3rd round draft pick for anything more than solid rotational players with potential starting capability

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I didn't think he was that bad. Then again, he came in reportedly needing to get better at shooting out of his stance, and so the improvement he showed led to a positive impression (though apparently lacking the results you want).

He's not a crucial player relative to the rest of the line, so I don't see the pressure. I don't see him being a 3T, I think he's a 1T. This team is sorely lacking for a DLman of a different type.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Every player who suits up should have pressure to perform.

Unless you're Nate Davis or Velus Jones that is...
That was actually pretty funny lol

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So he’s not important or something? The guy was the 64th overall pick and they clearly are counting on him being a big part of the rotation. He’s under just as much pressure as Dexter.

he played about half the snaps that Dexter did

"After playing as more of a penetrating, three-technique in college, Pickens was asked to play more of a run-stopping role as a one-technique and nose tackle in the Bears’ scheme. As a result, 2023 was a season full of limited playing time for Pickens as he had to rotate with veterans Andrew Billings, Justin Jones and fellow rookie Dexter."

he should get more opportunity with Jones gone but as a one technique, if you're looking for gaudy stats, its not going to happen. always thought he was better suited as a 3 tech

"When evaluating Pickens’ rookie year, it is important to remember that the third-round pick did not see as much playing time due to his role on the Bears’ defensive line.

With only 264 snaps played this season, Pickens simply did not have as many opportunities to shine as other rookies on the roster. Combined with Pickens having to change his game to accommodate playing more nose tackle and one technique, there are reasons for Pickens not to stand out much as a rookie.

Despite these factors, Pickens did have his fair share of flashes during his rookie year. In week four against the Denver Broncos, Pickens recorded his first sack of his young career chasing down Russell Wilson. Later on in the season against the Atlanta Falcons, Pickens had his first game with multiple pressures, finishing the game with two on only 10 pass rush snaps. For the season, Pickens had a pass rush win rate of 7.2%, which was fifth among defensive linemen on the Bears.

In general, Pickens’ play improved from week eight and on as the coaching staff put him in more positions to play his natural three-technique spot. For reference, in weeks one through seven Pickens played 38% of his snaps lined up over the “A” gap according to Pro Football Focus, traditionally the alignment for nose tackles and run stuffers. After week seven, Pickens’ snaps lined up in the “A” gamp were reduced to just under 9% of his total snaps. As a result, the Bears started to see Pickens play some of his best football of the season as he was put into spots to penetrate the backfield as a three-technique."

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Out of all the things to complain about, run defense was superb for the team overall last year. 1st in rush yards and 5th in ypa. Up from 31st and 27th just the year prior.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Out of all the things to complain about, run defense was superb for the team overall last year. 1st in rush yards and 5th in ypa. Up from 31st and 27th just the year prior.

PFF hires guys like daniel to rate the players.

I wouldnt take much stock into their ratings

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It’s weird how everyone talks about Dexter being so crucial when Pickens plays the same position and was drafted just 11 picks later. It’s like the media forgets he exists.
100% and personally i think Pickens is going to surprise some people this season

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
With Pickens and Dexter it’s important to remember DL frequently take 2-3 years to get their shit together.

A good example of this is someone like Justin Madubuike who was drafted 71st overall and went from 1,2,5,13 sacks his first 4 years. JM and Pickens both had around the same snap counts their rookie year. (260 and 264). Other stats are similar.

Obviously I’m not guaranteeing Pickens will be a Pro Bowl player like JM…. Just pointing out it’s often a slow developing position.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Lot of good takes on this thread.....discussion is so much better reading than insulting reads. But that's just me..... lol...... Imo both young DTs improved their play as the season progressed last year. What I saw was two big guys who stopped the run at the line of scrimmage, but as some of you have mentioned, they need to take that next step and start penetrating the OL, disrupting the blocking schemes and make TFLs. Same with the Pass Rush. It got better as the season wore on, but pressures and/or sacks need to be seen starting game 1 and through to game 17. Hopefully to games 20-21. :)

bears51/40

Liked Posts:

The Chicago Bears transformed their offense this offseason in preparation for Caleb Williams to take over at quarterback and propel the team forward.

Though they made a couple of strategic additions on defense, the overall approach has been more one of keeping faith with the young players they have in place and letting them improve as they develop.

One of those key defensive players is the team's 2023 second-round defensive tackle, Gervon Dexter.

Dexter flashed potential as a rookie, and the Bears are extremely high on him, but he recorded a 36.2 PFF run-defense grade in his first season. His pass-rush production was significantly better, with 29 total pressures coming from 297 pass-rushing snaps, but Dexter needs to take that leap in Year 2 to justify Chicago’s faith and not put a cap on how good this defense can be.

I didn’t realize he was that awful against the run.
Well, Dexter only played 40% of the snaps and most of those were on rush downs. The sample size of plays against the run are limited at best.