PFF: Fields most accurate ever

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Trubisky ranked 8th. Lmao

To be fair, that was his calling card coming out of college. Extremely accurate and able to hit players in stride. That is precisely why Pace hired Nagy as Trubisky's strengths in college running a spread O primarily out of shotgun was tailor made for the KC Offense.

The problem is Trubisky then came to the NFL and that accuracy and ability to play out of the gun all but disappeared. It was truly one of the more bizarre developments of a QB prospect I have ever seen where the things that got him drafted ended up becoming weaknesses and things he never really showcased in college ie heavy play action from under center became his strength albeit a very limited one.

msadows

Liked Posts:
To be fair, this is another made up PFF stat.

Don't forget, PFF was very high on mitch coming out as well, so it's not hard to see why he's ranked high on that list.

The excel spreadsheet some guy made already proves justin fields is the most accurate. I don't need PFF to tell me it.

msadows

Liked Posts:
To be fair, that was his calling card coming out of college. Extremely accurate and able to hit players in stride. That is precisely why Pace hired Nagy as Trubisky's strengths in college running a spread O primarily out of shotgun was tailor made for the KC Offense.

The problem is Trubisky then came to the NFL and that accuracy and ability to play out of the gun all but disappeared. It was truly one of the more bizarre developments of a QB prospect I have ever seen where the things that got him drafted ended up becoming weaknesses and things he never really showcased in college ie heavy play action from under center became his strength albeit a very limited one.

He had limited tape against good competition. You don't really get to see their red flags until they play more.

Happens a lot to college prospects. Most of those guys don't go #2 overall, tho.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:

I remember Nagy answering that he never goes over throwing motion, footwork etc with QBs and thought to myself that seems like something you should be working on if his accuracy was suffering..

tcmtrinity

Liked Posts:
I remember Nagy answering that he never goes over throwing motion, footwork etc with QBs and thought to myself that seems like something you should be working on if his accuracy was suffering..
Yeah, my golf coach is the same way. Only cares about me being my best self. I was scratch and now a solid 15 so guess that works.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I think mitchs problem was the offensive concepts and reading defenses. He seemed to think too much, not process quickly enough which takes away from your accuracy and timing. Take that dime he threw to Wims in the playoff game…he had all the time in the world to throw and knew exactly where he was going with the ball. Placed it perfectly.

When he had to think about the play, determine the coverage and where to go with the ball, and throw in the rush and a suspect OL, it was too much to overcome for him. He was accurate downfield his rookie season if I recall correctly. I think he was up there with throws 20+ yards downfield.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He had limited tape against good competition. You don't really get to see their red flags until they play more.

Happens a lot to college prospects. Most of those guys don't go #2 overall, tho.

Lol this was exactly my point back then hence why I had Watson ahead of him. It was also my point when a certain someone kept defending Trubisky his first few years.

Fields doesnt have that problem aa he has 2 years starting.

P.S. who are you and what did you do with the real Msaddows?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I agree with Enasic. It was more about his ability to read Defenses. The other thing I harped on with Trubisky coming out of college is that Fedora's system made things easy on the QB so Trubisky wasn't asked to do a lot of reading and processing.

It will also be multi-tempo, pushing the pace to tire out the defense at certain times, while in others, hurrying to the line and forcing the defense to set its position, only then to back off and check the sideline for an alternative play, if necessary. The intent is to keep the defense uncomfortable and force the defensive coordinator to stay basic to prevent breakdowns, which then allows Fedora’s offense to operate against a simpler look.

That’s where Fedora’s play-by-play database reaching back nearly 25 years comes into play. In standard down-and-distance plays – 1st-and-10, 2nd-and-6, etc. – there’s a variety of play calls available, albeit determined by the opposing defensive scheme. The goal is simplicity. Carry two or three concepts into a game that can be run out of multiple formations and that can answer multi-coverage looks, and that’s often enough to keep defenses off guard when paired with tempo.

“If there's going to be seven 3rd-and-longs in a game, how do I want to handle those seven?” Fedora said. “If I'm going to call maybe a couple of screens, all right, well, now I've got five left. Is one of them going to be a draw? Okay, so now I’ve got four left. So how many passes do I really need to prepare in 3rd-and-long? Do I need to prepare four passes? Or do I need to prepare two and call them twice? To me, it's just how you put your game plan together, how you whittle it down.”

The whole design of the offense was to make things simple. The overall playbook was huge but Fedora would just carry a handful of concepts into a game based on the D he was facing and just run them from all sorts of different looks. This is also why in the NFL Trubisky would look better in No Huddle or the 2 minute drill. Defenses had less opportunity to get fancy and it was easier for him to read. But despite being a UNC alum and thus inclinced to root for UNC players, I was terrified of Trubisky because you are talking a guy with very little game time who was playing in an offense that simply did not run the multitude of plays a typical NFL team runs.

Bears fans would hate on me and say Fedora was just pissed when I noted he thought Trubisky should have stayed another year in college but he probably did need another year of seasoning.

Last edited:

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think mitchs problem was the offensive concepts and reading defenses. He seemed to think too much, not process quickly enough which takes away from your accuracy and timing. Take that dime he threw to Wims in the playoff game…he had all the time in the world to throw and knew exactly where he was going with the ball. Placed it perfectly.

When he had to think about the play, determine the coverage and where to go with the ball, and throw in the rush and a suspect OL, it was too much to overcome for him. He was accurate downfield his rookie season if I recall correctly. I think he was up there with throws 20+ yards downfield.

I don't remember Mitch being accurate downfield, ever