PFF: Fields most accurate ever

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It was his depth adjusted accuracy that Trubisky was good at his rookie year. However, this goes back to my point and one I harped on with Nagy. People hated on Fox and Loggains but they were right about Trubisky. They knew he was green as hell and they knew he was ready for complicated concepts and so they kept it simply and he executed better as rookie with an all time terrible WR core than he ever did in Nagy's more complicated system.

Nagy upped the complexity and Trubisky regressed. He put up better numbers than his rookie year but that was more due to a better supporting cast. His underlying metrics actually regressed as he struggled reading defenses.

tcmtrinity

Liked Posts:
It was his depth adjusted accuracy that Trubisky was good at his rookie year. However, this goes back to my point and one I harped on with Nagy. People hated on Fox and Loggains but they were right about Trubisky. They knew he was green as hell and they knew he was ready for complicated concepts and so they kept it simply and he executed better as rookie with an all time terrible WR core than he ever did in Nagy's more complicated system.

Nagy upped the complexity and Trubisky regressed. He put up better numbers than his rookie year but that was more due to a better supporting cast. His underlying metrics actually regressed as he struggled reading defenses.
Sheeit. Super. Did brother Remy sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
I agree with Enasic. It was more about his ability to read Defenses. The other thing I harped on with Trubisky coming out of college is that Fedora's system made things easy on the QB so Trubisky wasn't asked to do a lot of reading and processing.

It will also be multi-tempo, pushing the pace to tire out the defense at certain times, while in others, hurrying to the line and forcing the defense to set its position, only then to back off and check the sideline for an alternative play, if necessary. The intent is to keep the defense uncomfortable and force the defensive coordinator to stay basic to prevent breakdowns, which then allows Fedora’s offense to operate against a simpler look.

That’s where Fedora’s play-by-play database reaching back nearly 25 years comes into play. In standard down-and-distance plays – 1st-and-10, 2nd-and-6, etc. – there’s a variety of play calls available, albeit determined by the opposing defensive scheme. The goal is simplicity. Carry two or three concepts into a game that can be run out of multiple formations and that can answer multi-coverage looks, and that’s often enough to keep defenses off guard when paired with tempo.

“If there's going to be seven 3rd-and-longs in a game, how do I want to handle those seven?” Fedora said. “If I'm going to call maybe a couple of screens, all right, well, now I've got five left. Is one of them going to be a draw? Okay, so now I’ve got four left. So how many passes do I really need to prepare in 3rd-and-long? Do I need to prepare four passes? Or do I need to prepare two and call them twice? To me, it's just how you put your game plan together, how you whittle it down.”

The whole design of the offense was to make things simple. The overall playbook was huge but Fedora would just carry a handful of concepts into a game based on the D he was facing and just run them from all sorts of different looks. This is also why in the NFL Trubisky would look better in No Huddle or the 2 minute drill. Defenses had less opportunity to get fancy and it was easier for him to read. But despite being a UNC alum and thus inclinced to root for UNC players, I was terrified of Trubisky because you are talking a guy with very little game time who was playing in an offense that simply did not run the multitude of plays a typical NFL team runs.

Bears fans would hate on me and say Fedora was just pissed when I noted he thought Trubisky should have stayed another year in college but he probably did need another year of seasoning.
yeah he was a bad QB because he couldnt read a D very well, but what I'm talking about is time and time again he would have the correct read and his WR would be wide open and he would just flat out overthrow by 5+ yards, it happened all the time.

Thats not a reading the D problem because he actually was throwing to the correct WR who was open. Thats a horrible accuracy problem.. So addressing the erratic accuracy seems like something a HC should look into and work on.. apparently Nagy doent care..

Lets all just hope Fields doesn't get overwhelmed and develop some bad habits because we dont seem to have a coaching staff that will help the QB work through that..

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
yeah he was a bad QB because he couldnt read a D very well, but what I'm talking about is time and time again he would have the correct read and his WR would be wide open and he would just flat out overthrow by 5+ yards, it happened all the time.

Thats not a reading the D problem because he actually was throwing to the correct WR who was open. Thats a horrible accuracy problem.. So addressing the erratic accuracy seems like something a HC should look into and work on.. apparently Nagy doent care..

Lets all just hope Fields doesn't get overwhelmed and develop some bad habits because we dont seem to have a coaching staff that will help the QB work through that..

Think it is still the same issue. He lost confidence because he sucked reading defenses. So even when he did make the right read he was still hesitant to pull the trigger. In addition to overthrowing there were times he was staring at the right read and still didnt throw. He had no faith in his own ability to read defenses and was always looking for a defender he may not have accounted for instead of trusting what he saw.

tcmtrinity

Liked Posts:
Fields has the potential to be a big-time franchise QB. Not sure if Nagy is "literally" that mentor to enable that result. Hopeful.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Think it is still the same issue. He lost confidence because he sucked reading defenses. So even when he did make the right read he was still hesitant to pull the trigger. In addition to overthrowing there were times he was staring at the right read and still didnt throw. He had no faith in his own ability to read defenses and was always looking for a defender he may not have accounted for instead of trusting what he saw.
I think he also couldn’t handle the criticism in the media, fanbase, and likely the locker room. He does not thrive in adverse situations and does not have that inner confidence and mentality of self belief and determination

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
To be fair, that was his calling card coming out of college. Extremely accurate and able to hit players in stride. That is precisely why Pace hired Nagy as Trubisky's strengths in college running a spread O primarily out of shotgun was tailor made for the KC Offense.

The problem is Trubisky then came to the NFL and that accuracy and ability to play out of the gun all but disappeared. It was truly one of the more bizarre developments of a QB prospect I have ever seen where the things that got him drafted ended up becoming weaknesses and things he never really showcased in college ie heavy play action from under center became his strength albeit a very limited one.
I was always curious about where that accuracy went.

I knew that if you didn't have accuracy in college, getting accuracy in the pros was near impossible.

However, I never heard of having accuracy in college would not translate to accuracy in the pros.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I was always curious about where that accuracy went.

I knew that if you didn't have accuracy in college, getting accuracy in the pros was near impossible.

However, I never heard of having accuracy in college would not translate to accuracy in the pros.

It went to Josh Allen as he is one of the few guys whose accuracy improved tremendously in the NFL from college. Trubisky signed with the Bills to try and take it back.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I think he also couldn’t handle the criticism in the media, fanbase, and likely the locker room. He does not thrive in adverse situations and does not have that inner confidence and mentality of self belief and determination
Or, in short, he is a beta male.

cdubz11

Liked Posts:
To be fair, that was his calling card coming out of college. Extremely accurate and able to hit players in stride. That is precisely why Pace hired Nagy as Trubisky's strengths in college running a spread O primarily out of shotgun was tailor made for the KC Offense.

The problem is Trubisky then came to the NFL and that accuracy and ability to play out of the gun all but disappeared. It was truly one of the more bizarre developments of a QB prospect I have ever seen where the things that got him drafted ended up becoming weaknesses and things he never really showcased in college ie heavy play action from under center became his strength albeit a very limited one.

"accuracy" in college can be really misleading unless dissect the tape. might've been making what were safe throws in college and in pros can easily be an interception. biggest thing with Mitch is once the pressure hit and he saw how Chicago reacts when you play terrible, his head was gone. it freaked him out, couldn't ever shake that. and i think it made him super hesitant almost entire time in Chicago, over thinking the shit out of everything and when that happens your brain just turns off and you freeze up.

i'd almost guarantee Mitch looks decent and has a good run somewhere else at some point in next few years. reminds me so much of Tannehill and how that played out. eerily similar QBs even. inexperienced, tons of talent, but processing info and making reads is a struggle. rely on legs a lot. good arms.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
I'm not arguing on the reason his fundamentals would break down, but more to the point that Nagy should of addressed his problem and try and help him work through it.

This is a more Nagy is a terrible coach then really anything to do with excuses about Mitch.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm not arguing on the reason his fundamentals would break down, but more to the point that Nagy should of addressed his problem and try and help him work through it.

This is a more Nagy is a terrible coach then really anything to do with excuses about Mitch.

Sure I agree it was dumb for him to say what he did. I am just saying I dont know that working on his footwork really solves the problem with Mitch as his issuse were almost entirely mental.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Sure I agree it was dumb for him to say what he did. I am just saying I dont know that working on his footwork really solves the problem with Mitch as his issuse were almost entirely mental.
could of helped him on some of his problems, he still couldnt read a D so thats a HUGE problem but helping him fix his erratic accuracy could of made him a more serviceable QB.

The fact that he didnt even try to help with that is a huge red flag for Nagy. Sometimes you get into a slump as an athlete and can develop some bad habits, so going over the fundamentals can help you through that.

Now to play devils advocate maybe Nagy knew that Mitch was really struggling with the mental part of the game with reading a D and processing it and didnt want to add more things for him to think about so didnt go over any throwing fundamentals. I hope thats the reason but i have a really bad feeling that Nagy is just in over his head

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
could of helped him on some of his problems, he still couldnt read a D so thats a HUGE problem but helping him fix his erratic accuracy could of made him a more serviceable QB.

The fact that he didnt even try to help with that is a huge red flag for Nagy. Sometimes you get into a slump as an athlete and can develop some bad habits, so going over the fundamentals can help you through that.

Now to play devils advocate maybe Nagy knew that Mitch was really struggling with the mental part of the game with reading a D and processing it and didnt want to add more things for him to think about so didnt go over any throwing fundamentals. I hope thats the reason but i have a really bad feeling that Nagy is just in over his head

Yeah and this is where we disagree. His inaccuracy wasnt due to fundamentals. It was due to his Mental Midgetry. You are overplaying the importance of the footwork stuff.

Trubs would get sloppy at times as all QBs do but bad fundamentals was never a significant issue. He is not Cutler who threw off his back foot all the time. Further, Nagy has an OC and QB coach. I don't buy all these NFL people (Lazor, DeFillipo, Helfrich and Ragone) just missed his fundamentals being a major problem.

Again stupid thing to say but I imagine Nagy was trying to say, "Why you talking to me about footwork when this dude can't read a Dr Seuss book much less an NFL Defense."

Last edited:

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah and this is where we disagree. His inaccuracy wasnt due to fundamentals. It was due to his Mental Midgetry. You are overplaying the importance of the footwork stuff.

Trubs would get sloppy at times as all QBs do but bad fundamentals was never a significant issue. He is not Cutler who threw off his back foot all the time. Further, Nagy has an OC and QB coach. I don't buy all these NFL people (Lazor, DeFillipo, Helfrich and Ragone) just missed his fundamentals being a major problem.

Again stupid thing to say but I imagine Nagy was trying to say, "Why you talking to me about footwork when this dude can't read a Dr Seuss book much less an NFL Defense."
Correct, mitch panicked when his first read was gone or a blitz came by, combine that with poor OL Play and his accuracy was all over

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Correct, mitch panicked when his first read was gone or a blitz came by, combine that with poor OL Play and his accuracy was all over

Well he was great against the blitz in 2018 but that was pre shoulder injury. His QBR was top 5 and that was because his running particularly on 3rd down was exceptional. Then he turned into a bitch after the shoulder injury and teams gameplanned to stop his running and he was doomed.

Eventually teams realized they didnt even need to spy him as much because he had self imposed limits on his scrambling.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Trubisky is a mental case. Too often he had the deer in headlights look. One bad throw or bad read would start a downward spiral. He couldn't shake it off or bounce back