PFF Offensive Lineman Grades

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Bears definitely need a new C, and need much better play from RG. Davis had by far his worst season as a pro so its *likely* he rebounds next season, but at the same time given Jenkins health and Davis' everything Bears almost certainly need a starting quality 3rd OG and Ja'tyre Carter aint that guy.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Coincidentally, week 6 is when Tyson Bagent started at QB through week 10. To be fair, it was also the first week we had Teven Jenkins at 100% but we were still missing Nate Davis and Braxton Jones.

It wasn't until week 11, when Justin came back, that we had a fully healthy OLine and could afford to bench a rapidly declining Cody Whitehair.

Also, week 13 was a BYE week. So only three of those games Fields was even QB.
It's not that Whitehair is declining. It's that he can't snap the ball consistently. He was horrible the first time around at center and for some stupid reason Poles moved him back to center and signed Nate Davis. Poles doesn't have a plan for the offensive line. If he did there would be no Nate Davis. The Bears needed a center last year oh and wouldn't you know it they need a center again. Because Poles doesn't know what he's doing.

They'll sign another Lucas Patrick type at center and then draft someone like Velus Jones Jr or Roschon Johnson again and call the problem fixed.

Braxton Jones shouldn't be starting Ja'Tyre Carter shouldn't be the primary backup they shouldn't have paid money to Nate Davis. Velus Jones Jr and Roschon Johnson are wasted draft picks.

He's not truly focusing on the offensive line it's applying a band aid to an artery wound. Ryan Poles does not know what he's doing. His biggest investment in the offensive line has been the right tackle. That's simply a huge mistake.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It's not that Whitehair is declining. It's that he can't snap the ball consistently. He was horrible the first time around at center and for some stupid reason Poles moved him back to center and signed Nate Davis. Poles doesn't have a plan for the offensive line. If he did there would be no Nate Davis. The Bears needed a center last year oh and wouldn't you know it they need a center again. Because Poles doesn't know what he's doing.

They'll sign another Lucas Patrick type at center and then draft someone like Velus Jones Jr or Roschon Johnson again and call the problem fixed.

Braxton Jones shouldn't be starting Ja'Tyre Carter shouldn't be the primary backup they shouldn't have paid money to Nate Davis. Velus Jones Jr and Roschon Johnson are wasted draft picks.

He's not truly focusing on the offensive line it's applying a band aid to an artery wound. Ryan Poles does not know what he's doing. His biggest investment in the offensive line has been the right tackle. That's simply a huge mistake.
:notfunny:

lol good one

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:

I beg to differ. Whitehair was in steep decline. He consistently allowed inside pressure as did Lucas Patrick. At times it felt like there was no resistance. Considering he was servicable in 2022, was our most experienced OLineman, and carried alot of Dead Cap space if cut, it made sense to hang on to him for another year. I think the worse mistake was to go into the season with Lucas Patrick on the roster as he was injured and no good in 2022. We should have brought in someone other than Dan Feeney to compete for that Center spot. I know many on here were pushing for Ethan Pocic in free agency and at 6 mil a year we could have outbid the Browns. Admittingly, I wanted John Michael Schmidtz in the draft, but he didn't grade out well this year,

Also I wouldn't say Poles isn't focusing on the line. I think it's moreso about his pride and him thinking, as a former OL and scout, that he can find guys anywhere. But up unto this point, outside of Braxton Jones, who I consider a servicable LT and great 5th rd pick, he has missed all over the place in the later rounds and free agency.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
After Week 18 (END OF SEASON)

PFF Offensive Lineman Grades

Darnell Wright

Snaps: 1127
Penalties: 11
Sacks Allowed: 7
Grade: 62.4 +1.2

Lucas Patrick

Snaps: 953
Penalties: 11
Sacks Allowed: 0
Grade: 50.5 +0.5

Cody Whitehair

Snaps: 787
Penalties: 2
Sacks Allowed: 3
Grade: 45.0 +1.9

Teven Jenkins

Snaps: 731
Penalties: 4
Grade: 73.4 -1.5

Braxton Jones

Snaps: 724
Penalties: 9
Sacks Allowed: 2
Grade: 68.7 +3.1

Nate Davis
:
Snaps: 663
Penalties: 6
Sacks Allowed: 1
Grade: 52.9 -2.7

Larry Borom

Snaps: 411
Penalties: 5
Grade: 48.0 +/- 0.0

Ja'Tyre Carter

Snaps: 175
Penalties: 1
Grade: 49.0 +/- 0.0

Dan Feeney
Snaps: 90
Penalties: 1
Grade: 44.8

Average Grade for top 5 OL with most snaps: 60.0 +1.0

Average Grade for all OL over 10% of snaps:
56.23 +0.28

Other Significant Stats

Total Sacks Allowed: 50 (25th in League)
Sack Percentage: 8.9% (26th in League)
Pass Attempts: 513 (27th in League)
Total Dropbacks: 563
To me Wright, Jones and Jenkins are just fine and will keep improving, we need a Center real bad and a good FA
swing guy to play several spots. Davis is under the spot light and had better light it up.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears need to improve the LT, C, G

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
I want the actual PASS blocking grades for Braxton Jones. Not his overall grade or how many sacks he is supposedly responsible for. How many times is he able to actually pass block against the best edge rushers he faces without help???

What I see is a guy that constantly needs TE or RB help and he still gets abused when facing elite competition.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jones was better in pass blocking when the play could have gone either way....

In obvious pass block situations he was bad...

My guess is getting left out on an island is not his strong suit.

He wasn't the worst position on the line, but the LT position still needs to get improved...the Bears were horrible as a unit in pass blocking last year.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Jones was better in pass blocking when the play could have gone either way....

In obvious pass block situations he was bad...

My guess is getting left out on an island is not his strong suit.

He wasn't the worst position on the line, but the LT position still needs to get improved...the Bears were horrible as a unit in pass blocking last year.
I'd love to see Jared Goff behind the 2022 & 2023 Bears offensive line. Then put Justin behind the Lions Oline. EVERY Bears fan would be crying, why can't the Bears ever get a QB like Justin Fields.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The ineptitude of Bears pass blocking was some of the worst I’ve seen in many many years.

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
I don't mind
I do it too......just not with this heading.....anyone who has read my posts over time, knows I'm a big Brax fan......I just can't understand how a player giving up 2 sacks on the year a very good run blocker, and a great blocker in space gets ragged on like he does. Damn the stats and analytics....for me there's one test....it has to do with the eyes......

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I do it too......just not with this heading.....anyone who has read my posts over time, knows I'm a big Brax fan......I just can't understand how a player giving up 2 sacks on the year a very good run blocker, and a great blocker in space gets ragged on like he does. Damn the stats and analytics....for me there's one test....it has to do with the eyes......
Yeah i'm definitely on record on CCS with passing on drafting OT in the 1st/early rounds and sticking with B.Jones.